The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Trust men and they will be true to you; treat them greatly and they will show themselves great. Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 60,702
Trust men and they will be true to you; treat them greatly and they will show themselves great.

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
Thommy
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 2:54:20 AM

Neurons: 464
Perhaps it was true at his times.
Nowadays if you trust someone unknown to you
you are at high risk to be ripped-off.
As always,there are exceptions but that is
sadly the minority.
Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 4:18:52 AM

Neurons: 38,683
Some take 'Kindness for weakness and weakness for a fool', sorry Mr Emerson, but that comment is rather sheltered.
Bully_rus
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 8:29:46 AM

Neurons: 110,286
Only as a way that trust more prudent than mistrust.
Miriam...
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:18:07 AM

Neurons: 12,634
Trust men and they will be true to you; treat them greatly and they will show themselves great.

I love this quote by Emerson, because it opens my heart and allows it to rise like an orange moon, or a gleaming star, rising high up into the heavens where it shines with such hope over a black sea of despair. It is an ideal in a dark world that is fraught with entangled lies and deceptions, and filled with unkindness and cruelty. It is a bitter world that lacks love and faith in what is good in the soul of humankind; one in which we are all, alone, locked in our isolated, little cells for fear of what our neighbor might do.
Verbatim
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 2:53:32 PM

Neurons: 205,256
Daemon wrote:

That may be true and great but will it live up to our sense of justice, whatever it is that we expect in return?

Miriam...
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 4:56:36 PM

To Verbatum: I doubt it, because 'justice' does not exist; at least in the sense of what we can understand.
Samuri Sue
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 7:46:24 PM

Neurons: 3
Loyalty most often coincides with perceived self-interest. Greatness is attached to principles not men.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 8:28:33 PM

Neurons: 29,211
Emerson giving voice to the highest of ideals of man, where virtue is lived.

Sue: Well stated.

Tov: ever the pragmatist, cutting directly at the root. Yes mam.

Miriam: Waxing noble, reaching yonder for the heights of human possibility. Sweet.

Thommy: Truly we've always been our own worst enemies. Sad.

Bully: It's always good business to hold back a bit. Discerning motives is tricky at best.

Me: Be good to people. How would you want your spouse, child or mother to be treated? But never play with snakes.

"Now" is the eternal present.
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 8:32:48 PM

Neurons: 41,886
Welcome to the forum, Samuri Sue.

Emerson could have learned something from you.
You set a high bar with this impressive and profound first entry to the TFD forum.
You do know, don’t you, that we all will expect this quality of response from you from now on?
Don’t let us down. (Teasing)...Whistle

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Absurdicuss
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 8:57:27 PM

Neurons: 29,211
...^...
hehehehe

"Now" is the eternal present.
capitán
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:18:31 PM

Neurons: 10,734
Daemon wrote:

If you ask me, trust and greatness are two of the necessary things in life that people have forgotten the taste of. Mainly, I think, this is the reason why people consider those that lived before, in olden days, different or even better than us. I do not presume to know what drives men to greatness, but I do know that whenever someone is treated greatly, something of that greatness stays. Of course, what I have in mind whenever I use this word would differ from what you, friends and members, think. I also think that if people were used to be treated greatly instead of judged or shunned, their reaction would unchain something, it matters not how small be it, in the way to greatness.
Miriam...
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 11:04:35 PM

To Capitan: I really like this part of your post:

"but I do know that whenever someone is treated greatly, something of that greatness stays."

There is a book titled: The Speed of Trust. I think you would like to read it.

I think trusting in the goodness, or in the greatness of someone, validates its existence and helps bring it into being.
Bully_rus
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 12:10:48 AM

Neurons: 110,286
Samuri Sue wrote:
Loyalty most often coincides with perceived self-interest. Greatness is attached to principles not men.

Sounds great and impressive, but isn't loyalty also attached to principles not men?
Verbatim
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 3:09:24 AM

Neurons: 205,256
Daemon wrote:

The source of this quotation is "Essays", Essay VII Prudence--ironically. First Series, 1841.

Emerson makes it sound as if a condition precedent for men to be true to you is to be favored with your trust. But men and women require honor to be true, honesty,
a strong sense of fairness, without which any trust is but wasted. In an ideal world, one might expect that one can "shame" someone else into being honest; honor though
is not instilled but inbred and cultivated over time from many origins. We have stopped talking about honor long since, let alone cultivating it.
By all means, treat everyone greatly, but don't expect the oaf to show himself great just because of it--he may need help.

Here is some more context for Emerson's way of thinking:
" Every violation of truth is not
only a sort of suicide in the liar, but is a stab at the health of
human society. On the most profitable lie, the course of events
presently lays a destructive tax; whilst frankness invites frankness,
puts the parties on a convenient footing, and makes their business a
friendship. Trust men, and they will be true to you; treat them
greatly, and they will show themselves great, though they make an
exception in your favor to all their rules of trade."

seobyclh
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 3:42:13 PM

Neurons: 105
Daemon wrote:

I would have to say good in theory, but after being down the hard road in my life with people, and their lies and false promises, I would say move with caution with ANY and ALL! People in 2013 are not what they seem to be, and this is quite prevalent on the Internet. Moving with great caution is advised, or surely one may just come up on the short end of hurt...

Clarence L Hamilton Jr - "Writing for Sanity in a Mad World!"