The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

If there is one person I do despise more than another, it is the man who does not think exactly the same on all topics as I do. Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 85,449
If there is one person I do despise more than another, it is the man who does not think exactly the same on all topics as I do.

Jerome K. Jerome (1859-1927)
Verbatim
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:32:42 AM

Neurons: 245,844
Daemon wrote:
If there is one person I do despise more than another, it is the man who does not think exactly the same on all topics as I do.

Jerome K. Jerome (1859-1927)

On the other hand, "It is so pleasant to come across people more stupid than ourselves. We love them at once for being so." Jerome K. Jerome
MTC
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:27:21 AM

Neurons: 8,606

Reformulated: "I can tolerate anything except disagreement."
jcbarros
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:59:05 AM

Neurons: 9,052
No place for doubts.
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:16:30 PM

Neurons: 248,134
Idle speculation about eating and drinking after eating and drinking. How little is needed for thoughtful soul!
DarkMoon
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:31:57 PM

Neurons: 46,684
I can't imagine what would happen if Jerome K. Jerome met a person who always disagrees with everything, and suffers from oppositional defiant disorder (ODD.) Signs and symptoms speak for themselves:

"Actively refuses to comply with majority's requests or consensus-supported rules
Performs actions deliberately to annoy others
Angry and resentful of others
Argues often
Blames others for his or her own mistakes
Often loses temper
Spiteful or seeks revenge
Touchy or easily annoyed."

On the other side, constant encounters with people, who always applaud our reasoning can lead to pronoia "that is defined as the opposite state of mind as paranoia: having the sense that there is a conspiracy that exists to help the person. It is also used to describe a philosophy that the world is set up to secretly benefit people." Shhh Whistle
MTC
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 5:30:30 PM

Neurons: 8,606

Very interesting, Dark Moon. It turns out Oppositional Defiant Disorder ("ODD ") is a childhood disorder. Certainly we've all seen our share of "odd" children. "Pronia" was also a revelation. I suppose those who are "afflicted" with this Pollyanna Syndrome wold be called "pronoids?"
Kanga85
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:52:23 PM

Neurons: 96
JKJ couldn't have had too many friends
DarkMoon
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 4:09:46 PM

Neurons: 46,684
MTC wrote:

Very interesting, Dark Moon. It turns out Oppositional Defiant Disorder ("ODD ") is a childhood disorder. Certainly we've all seen our share of "odd" children. "Pronia" was also a revelation. I suppose those who are "afflicted" with this Pollyanna Syndrome wold be called "pronoids?"

Thank you, MTC. It occurs to me that even if ODD turns out to be a childhood disorder, sometimes I have a serious feeling that some adults continue with unwanted and infantile conduct, and seem to have never grown out of some child-like and immature behavioral patterns, as per ODD's signs and symptoms.

I would not, however, associate pronoia with the Pollyanna syndrome. After all, pronoia is just another form of paranoia, even if reversed, and carries a conviction of an existing conspiracy. Even though, we ourselves face serious difficulties or cannot see a silver lining in every cloud, it shouldn't be confused with positive reinforcement, infectious optimism, and a positive outlook.

My question is how much this focus on the optimistic only has to do with reality, or it is another way to reject, more or less consciously, the existence, and the evidence of the negative.

I guess if we can talk about paranoid, we can easily use pronoid.