The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Manners are the happy way of doing things; each once a stroke of genius or of love—now repeated and hardened into usage. They... Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 72,006
Manners are the happy way of doing things; each once a stroke of genius or of love—now repeated and hardened into usage. They form at last a rich varnish, with which the routine of life is washed, and its details adorned. If they are superficial, so are the dewdrops which give such a depth to the morning meadows.

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
capitán
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2013 2:31:17 AM

Neurons: 12,967
The Conduct of Life
-Ralph Waldo Emerson-

Behavior

There is always a best way of doing everything, if it be to boil an egg. Manners are the happy ways of doing things; each once a stroke of genius or of love, -- now repeated and hardened into usage. They form at last a rich varnish, with which the routine of life is washed, and its details adorned. If they are superficial, so are the dew-drops which give such a depth to the morning meadows. Manners are very communicable: men catch them from each other. Consuelo, in the romance, boasts of the lessons she had given the nobles in manners, on the stage; and, in real life, Talma taught Napoleon the arts of behavior. Genius invents fine manners, which the baron and the baroness copy very fast, and, by the advantage of a palace, better the instruction. They stereotype the lesson they have learned into a mode.

Bully_rus
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2013 3:08:40 AM

Neurons: 171,925
Superficial custom-made necessities.
MTC
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2013 7:07:33 AM

Neurons: 8,606

Thoreau could twaddle with the best of them. I mean to seriously contend manners are "a stroke of genius or of love!" "Consideration," perhaps, but not "genius and love." It was Confuscius who said, "Manners for the most part are rooted in consideration of others." On the other hand, arbitrary placement of eating utensils on the dinner table has little to do with any of them.
DarkMoon
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2013 11:42:09 AM

Neurons: 46,684
"Oh Tigger, where are your manners?
"I don't know, but I bet they're having more fun than I am."
― A.A. Milne

Couldn't resist, sorry. Shhh
Verbatim
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2013 4:42:52 PM

Neurons: 242,792
Daemon wrote:
[left][/left]Manners are the happy way of doing things; each once a stroke of genius or of love—now repeated and hardened into usage. They form at last a rich varnish, with which the routine of life is washed, and its details adorned. If they are superficial, so are the dewdrops which give such a depth to the morning meadows.

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

An elegant reminder of "how" manners may originate, a long way yet from outward courtesy, some doomed to last no longer than vogue.

Miriam...
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:25:35 AM

Neurons: 12,634
I think 'manners' are what separate the civilized being from the beast. Despite the fact that they are superficial behavior modes, they do help to keep our interactions with other humans 'civil', and allow us to exist side by side without resorting to our 'survival of the fittest' inclinations--for they do help to root out 'bullies' and make existence less stressful and a more peaceful and pleasant place to be. However, having said this, I believe there are behaviors that spring from love, and are seen by others as admirable ways to behave amidst our fellow beings.
Miriam...
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 3:21:46 PM

Neurons: 12,634
I would like to add a thought to my above post.

I think manners become necessary because most of us really do not love our neighbor. Laws exist on a larger scale, but in our small, everyday interactions, manners help facilitate our lives in a way that keeps us from killing each other over eating the last olive.