The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The finest qualities of our nature, like the bloom on fruits, can be preserved only by the most delicate handling. Yet we do... Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,253
The finest qualities of our nature, like the bloom on fruits, can be preserved only by the most delicate handling. Yet we do not treat ourselves nor one another thus tenderly.

Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:23:43 AM

Neurons: 254,408
For better or worse tenderness isn't the most necessary feature for survival. And rareness and evanescence is natural parts of the priceless whatever.
PS Man may yearn and hope for tenderness, but strive for it?
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:28:10 AM

Daemon wrote:
The finest qualities of our nature, like the bloom on fruits, can be preserved only by the most delicate handling. Yet we do not treat ourselves nor one another thus tenderly.

Overindulgence harden senses and tenderness slip through like grains of sand - unnoticed.
kamilion
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:05:18 AM

Neurons: 488
Nature can be very hostile environment as well as quite tranquil. But definitely conforms to its own rules which at the end of the day maintain very invariant order. Although a society on the other hand
can be sharing the same circumstantials is characterised by its unsettled inherent quality which oppose to the nature makes it very unpredictable and versatile.

De omnibus dubitandum est.
pedro
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:26:43 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Bully_rus wrote:
For better or worse tenderness isn't the most necessary feature for survival. And rareness and evanescence is natural parts of the priceless whatever.
PS Man may yearn and hope for tenderness, but strive for it?

You can study it! http://www.woodbrooke.org.uk/courses.php?action=course&id=7845
- spirituality for teetotallers.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:40:33 AM

£199.00 per tenderness - good business.
capitán
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 11:09:25 AM

Neurons: 23,124
Walden (or life in the woods), Chapter one
Economy

"...Most men, even in this comparatively free country, through mere ignorance and mistake, are so occupied with the factitious cares and superfluously coarse labors of life that its finer fruits cannot be plucked by them. Their fingers, from excessive toil, are too clumsy and tremble too much for that. Actually, the laboring man has not leisure for a true integrity day by day; he cannot afford to sustain the manliest relations to men; his labor would be depreciated in the market. He has no time to be anything but a machine. How can he remember well his ignorance — which his growth requires — who has so often to use his knowledge? We should feed and clothe him gratuitously sometimes, and recruit him with our cordials, before we judge of him. The finest qualities of our nature, like the bloom on fruits, can be preserved only by the most delicate handling. Yet we do not treat ourselves nor one another thus tenderly."

It is impressive how the words "He has no time to be anything but a machine" are so certain. I know I don´t have to judge people in a system as if this was entirely their fault; however, sometimes a man has a choice to make. I know it because I have been there and I have made the choice of plucking the finer fruits of life in a country were people are too worried about satisfying their primordial needs (the more physical needs). In a "developing country" like mine, people spend time actually out there trying to make a coin because starving is not an option. Just think about it, in a country where several people don´t know how to read (the ones who can don´t do it) because the educational system is a mediocre joke; where every day you can see children from a pretty early age on the street working or begging; where people have to work 12 hours a day to earn five dollars a day so that they can have eat; where so a ridiculous number of little girls are waiting for children they are not going to be able to properly sustain and educate... .

where is the time to think as Thoreau would have loved people to think?
aloe_vera
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:14:46 PM

Neurons: 1,488
Capitan has it right. While Thoreau is idly contemplating the blooms and suffering superficial angst over the plight of the toilers in the field who haven't the time to notice such beauty, the toilers in the field are busy reaping the fruit that the blossoms foretell. Perhaps Thoreau might have been better off contemplating what is on his dinner plate and ponder from where it came.

The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult; and left untried.” GK Chesterton
Christine
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:06:50 PM

Neurons: 15,842
aloe_vera wrote:
Capitan has it right. While Thoreau is idly contemplating the blooms and suffering superficial angst over the plight of the toilers in the field who haven't the time to notice such beauty, the toilers in the field are busy reaping the fruit that the blossoms foretell. Perhaps Thoreau might have been better off contemplating what is on his dinner plate and ponder from where it came.

Captain was quote Thoreau, so your comments is silly.

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

Christine
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:09:00 PM

Neurons: 15,842
oops .. I was silly

Can't delete my comment :(

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

jcbarros
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:48:20 PM

Neurons: 9,052
Incidentally, we don´t deserve it.
Verbatim
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:51:03 PM

Neurons: 245,969
Daemon wrote:

The finest qualities of our nature, however delicately preserved, need the reminder of the brutal reality of the world, the challenge of it anyway,
before these qualities emerge from such safekeeping and elevate themselves into startling fine deeds.

Look at this example: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05/23/mumoftwo-ingrid-loyaukenn_n_3323688.html?ir=Canada&utm_hp_ref=canada&icid=maing-grid7|cat2|dl1|sec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D317692