The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The duty of journalists Options
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 9:03:18 AM

Neurons: 22,062
I have just posted a similar question, but for some reason it will not appear on the screen.

Let me try again.

I am reading about American journalists who were kidnapped, beaten, or even murdered during the war and post-war situation in a "certain" Middle Eastern country.

I do not think that American (or native) journalists should have to risk life and limb in order to report a story in either a foreign location or even in a dangerous area in one of our American cities.

In my opinion, journalists should say to those people: Go ahead and stew in your own juice. You are hopeless and do not deserve coverage.

What do you think?

James
DontCloudMe
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 10:27:52 AM

Neurons: 91
I don't think Truth has a greater enemy than the mainstream media.

How can we expect another to keep our secret if we have been unable to keep it ourselves. -Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Luftmarque
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 10:39:09 AM

Neurons: 21,132
TheParser wrote:
What do you think?

I think that if everybody in a position to do good were to simply give up then the world would be a worse place to live.

}- Luftmarque لوفتمارك -{ Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.—Voltaire
almostfreebird
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 10:39:12 AM

Neurons: 7,024
Waverley67
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 10:46:35 AM

Neurons: 443
Whereas I suspect the majority would side with DontCloudMe, and his argument is an easy one to understand, we should not forget that without foreign correspondents we would know little, if anything, of what was happening overseas. True the media are more than capable of ...applying a certain bent... to a story, but it is seldom the case that anyone merely reports the absolute facts of an incident. As soon as something takes place any observer is likely to have formed an opinion based on what he has witnessed which will register in his telling of the tale. It is more than likely that two observers will have slightly differing accounts. But without the observer there would be no account.

As for TheParser's question... Journalists do their job for many reasons. War correspondents must, inevitably I feel, get an adrenaline rush at times. They are more than capable of making the decision to withdraw from a situation. I, for one, thank God that they, and their teams of camera and sound people, do not.

English is such a beautiful and complex language, I'm happy to admit I sometimes get it wrongly!
Jamestown
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 11:13:22 AM

Neurons: 3
TheParser wrote:
...I do not think that American (or native) journalists should have to risk life and limb in order to report a story in either a foreign location or even in a dangerous area in one of our American cities...What do you think?

You are right, they should not have to, but they should be free to report on events from anywhere in the world.

Proud Supporter and Participant of 'Research and Thought'.
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 11:26:12 AM

Neurons: 45,262
A nice thought, Parser, but if “journalists” didn’t cover these events, how could they ever win the coveted prizes hungered after by their egos?

What would the salivating public do without its daily dose of sleaze and stupidity, insane killers, and political idiots? To whom would the infantile leaders of countries prance and perform?

And how could “News Services” charge so much for air time to show commercials if they didn’t regurgitate repeatedly onto the drooling public?

Why, we all might be more reasonable, logical, less poisoned by the foolishness of our fellow humans. Now, what kind of world would that be? Come on, we can’t live like that. It would be inhumane, man!

On a less sarcastic note, it should be the duty of journalists to report what is happening, not insert themselves into the story by slanting it to suit their personal or political beliefs or desires. Unfortunately, we have few, if any, true journalists anymore, IMO.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
jcbarros
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 1:22:54 PM

Neurons: 9,052
Each one chooses and follows his/her destiny (or perhaps the destiny is the chooser) ;/
Maggie
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 1:38:40 PM

Neurons: 2,128
FounDit wrote:
A nice thought, Parser, but if “journalists” didn’t cover these events, how could they ever win the coveted prizes hungered after by their egos?

What would the salivating public do without its daily dose of sleaze and stupidity, insane killers, and political idiots? To whom would the infantile leaders of countries prance and perform?

And how could “News Services” charge so much for air time to show commercials if they didn’t regurgitate repeatedly onto the drooling public?

Why, we all might be more reasonable, logical, less poisoned by the foolishness of our fellow humans. Now, what kind of world would that be? Come on, we can’t live like that. It would be inhumane, man!

On a less sarcastic note, it should be the duty of journalists to report what is happening, not insert themselves into the story by slanting it to suit their personal or political beliefs or desires. Unfortunately, we have few, if any, true journalists anymore, IMO.

Applause Applause

"The nearest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this earth is a government program." - Ronald Reagan
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 1:43:19 PM

Neurons: 22,062
Thank you, everyone, for sharing your views.
TL Hobs
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 1:51:15 PM

Neurons: 5,461
DontCloudMe wrote:
I don't think Truth has a greater enemy than the mainstream media.

But, is it because of the journalists that risk all to cover an event and present a story? I make the distinction between a journalist who goes to the scene to gather facts, versus the talking heads who merely conjecture the probable cause of an event or phenomena. Too much media is focused on the latter, not the former. Fewer and fewer news organizations are willing to pay the expenses for real journalists and are thus relegated to providing talking heads, and call it news.

George Seldes wrote in his autobiography Witness to a Century that the media is controlled by advertising dollars and that editors will not, cannot, offend those companies that provide the financial resources necessary to provide the news. Those editors who bucked the system, or the National Association of Manufacturers, would not survive. What was true for him seems to be still true today.

It used to be in the US that every major city had two popular newspapers; each one dedicated to their political slant. To get a rounded view the reader subscribed to both papers. Little by little, an opposing newspaper was bought by their counterpart. The Dallas Morning News - The Dallas Times Herald, The Arkansas Democrat - The Arkansas Gazette, Indianapolis Star - Indianapolis News are all examples. People like Rupert Murdoch, who controls the Fox News, Wall Street Journal, New York Times, and many, many other news outlets, all promote his flavor of politics. So much for fair and balanced reporting.

I can scan news from the world over, thanks to the Internet, and do so daily, yet read the same story over and over with the same buzz words and key points being pushed. It is discouraging, but what we have. I read it all with a huge lump of salt and do not accept anything as fact until it hits me in the head.

"When you don't know where you are going, you have to stick together just in case someone gets there." - Ken Kesey
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 3:31:44 PM

Neurons: 320,948
It's not only the American journalists. The journalists all over the world risk their lives, some even in their home countries. I think they know exactly what they are doing, and what the risks are.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 7:16:36 PM

Neurons: 39,926
In 1975, 5 Australian journalists were murdered in East Timor by Indonesian soldiers.

These men were exacuted , they are called 'The Balibo 5'

Their murders have been clasified as War Crimes.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 10:29:31 PM

Neurons: 29,711
Many valid points and interesting perspectives voiced here. Personally I find most agreement with the comments of Foundit, Luftmarque & Hobs.

Only one area of possible contention. If Murdoch controls FOX News and NY Times then he must be bipolar or experiencing some type of multiple personality disorder.

My jaded and cynical distrust of media stems from a belief that what becomes "news" is a well researched profit driven product designed specifically for the manipulation of public perception of truth and actual knowledge of events.

Journalists are not required to risk their lives.

Those who do so with the noble aim of objectively reporting real events are to be admired for their bravery and dedication to humanity.

IMHO

"Now" is the eternal present.