The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Is there global concern with N. Korea and the saber rattling? Options
LostinSC
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 6:34:17 PM

Neurons: 1,318
Or is this simply bluster to intimidate S. Korea, and her allies, into continued/additional financial blackmail?

If the Peoples Republic of North Korea made the fatal mistake of "cracking off" a nuclear warhead what should be/could be the response?

Retaliation in kind with the surity knowledge of WWIII devestating the planet?

In order to preclude such scenerio, should China and Russia intervene? Have they already been pressuring Kim Il Un to reconsider?

Your thoughts are welcome..

The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom. H. L. Mencken
boneyfriend
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 8:43:43 PM

Neurons: 10,546
Whatever it is, they have scared me. I don't see how we could just ignore North Korea doing that. I don't know where China and Russia have placed themselves in this scenario. Can somebody fill me in.

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. Ben Williams
TL Hobs
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 9:25:04 PM

Neurons: 5,443

Having a nuclear weapon isn't the same thing as having a nuclear arsenal. North Korea nor Iran have one. Neither countries have signed the Nuclear Arms Limitation Treaty that basically says that each country says it agrees not to use a nuke offensively, that they are only defensive weapons. Lots of countries have them, but it is only to follow the insane theory that if there are enough of them out there to destroy the world then only a madman would ever use one. No. Korea and Iran have not signed the treaty and are therefore labeled Rogue Nations.

Both countries have limited nuclear weaponry. Any nuclear offensive action could be met with overwhelming force. Both countries know that if they continue to make noise and rattle their swords, they are not ignored. It buys them an invitation to sit at the table and be apart of the conversation. Both have isolated themselves politically, with few exceptions, and are under economic sanctions by most of the world. Both are in conflict and are experiencing stressful times.

"When you don't know where you are going, you have to stick together just in case someone gets there." - Ken Kesey
Tovarish
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 11:37:09 PM

Neurons: 39,147
Guam
DontCloudMe
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 3:51:44 AM

Neurons: 91
Outlandish threats are nothing new for the DPRK. However, the MSM's sudden and incessant coverage is an unusual development. Add to that, Hollywood's latest push to rouse public disgust towards the DPRK (Red Dawn), and the YouTube videos supposedly coming out of North Korea, showing them burning up and killing US citizens, and what you have is the whole propaganda machine focused on a single issue, and that is something to be concerned about. Usually they're focused on keeping us divided with race, class, religion, political affiliation, etc.

China is amassing their forces on the border separating them from North Korean. We assume that their aim is to prevent a massive influx of North Korean refugees.

We're mobilizing missile defense systems to the area and running abnormally large military exercises in the South.

All these progressions imply that we're the aggressors. If the DPRK wanted war, I doubt they would wait for everyone to take their positions. They know they can't win, but they can deal a nasty blow to Seoul, and that has always been their bargaining chip. That is true terrorism.

It would appear that our concern for Seoul has lost priority to whatever it is that's motivating us at this point.

One thing is almost certain. Russia has a long history of fighting wars by-proxy. If we engage a state, Russia slaps a rifle in the hands of every man, woman, and child in that state. They're probably sending engineers and missile technology to the DPRK as we speak.

My concerns are that China may see this as an opportunity to assert themselves. Being caught between Russia, Iran, China, and the DPRK; while we're already engaged in Afghanistan and North Africa, would be undesirable.

Moreover, I suspect this whole gun-grab issue in the US was simply a form of subterfuge deliberately intended to achieve the very results it received. Id est, almost every rifle and cartridge in the country has been bought.

You can always trust everyone to be exactly what they are. The liar will lie, the thief will steal, the cat will meow, the dog will bark, and the revolutionary American will sell the farm to buy guns and ammo the moment their government threatens to ban them. The citizens are more heavily armed now than they've ever been, and it was by design. My guess would be to serve as a deterrent.

By the pricking of my thumbs, ...

I'll continue to pray for peace. I invite you to join me in doing so.

How can we expect another to keep our secret if we have been unable to keep it ourselves. -Francois De La Rochefoucauld
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 5:35:15 AM

Neurons: 325,248
Great reading, DontCloudMe. Let's hope nothing wicked this way comes.

Welcome to the Forum

A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 5:35:50 AM

Neurons: 325,248
Could this be another 'Phoney War?'

A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.
Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 5:39:36 AM

Welcome to the Forum DCM, I hope you enjoy the interaction.

A very dangerous situation we are in with a young man wanting to prove himself to his elder statesmen.

NK is the 4th largest military in the world, no prizes for guessing who are the above trifecter.

None of our countries are know for paying ransoms.

ellana
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 7:25:57 AM

Neurons: 124,896
I can't help but think that this young 'leader' may be fantasising about making video games come true. The constant barrage of images showing him in a controlling position makes me think that something with potentially catastrophic outcomes is possible. And then to watch images of a robotic population in total submission while wondering where their next meal is coming from, adds fuel to a very scary situation. I agree that the rhetoric bouncing off the air waves may be scare mongering but, we must be wary of the unpredictable. I'm not sure that logic, if that's still an option, will prevail. How pathetic we can be as a species!
almostfreebird
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 7:40:25 PM

Neurons: 7,024

Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 9:21:51 PM

I have just seen reassuring comments made by Russia, condeming NK for moving their rockets to the east.

Our Prime Minister has left for 5 days in China, I am sure NK will be on the agenda.
LostinSC
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 10:41:41 PM

Tovy,

"Our Prime Minister has left for 5 days in China, I am sure NK will be on the agenda
."

Personally, I do not think NK's rhetoric will bring the brink of destruction to the global doorstep.

However, conceivebly, it could be the "butterfly" wing (in Asia) that brings the devastation and maelstrom that eventually could consume Western civilization.

I take Kim Jung Un's wanton disreguard for human rights and self grandosity as a threat to regional stability.

Sometimes, I feel alone as many of my aquaintences are more interested in who is 'Dancing with the Stars', surviving on 'Survivors' or singing on 'American Idol'..

Brick wall Brick wall

The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom. H. L. Mencken
Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 10:49:37 PM

Orhhh Losty, you are never alone when you have us forum members, and I dont think there would be too many reality TV viewers among us.

Dont worry about your butterflys wings, because the domino system didnt happen, just another political forcast.

If this little fat man makes a mistake he will be hit so hard then who nows what will happen after that.
Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 10:56:57 PM

Hey Losty, do you want to hear a joke to cheer you up????

I have just read that the US exports a beer that has jumped in export sales over 70%.

It is called 'Craft Beer', in Australia CRAFT stand for Cant. Remember. A. F....ing. Thing,.....it must really work, God Love you Yanks!!!!
almostfreebird
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 1:54:04 AM

Tovarish
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 4:50:01 AM

What?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 5:11:39 AM

Neurons: 141,825

Er... Sorry?...

What?

Who's Dennis Rodman? From the cartoon, he looks like someone from Bog Brother, or some rapper or something - never watch reality TV (or any TV) myself.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
almostfreebird
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 5:47:51 AM

He was an NBA professional basketball player and also a pro wrestler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Rodman

He led the NBA in rebounds per game for a record seven consecutive years and won five NBA championships. His biography at NBA.com states that he is "arguably the best rebounding forward in NBA history." On April 1, 2011, the Pistons retired Rodman's No. 10 jersey, and he was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame later that year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/02/dennis-rodman-north-korea

Tovarish
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 5:52:52 AM

Gee and here was I thinking we were speaking about NK.
almostfreebird
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 5:59:38 AM

Tovarish wrote:
Gee and here was I thinking we were speaking about NK.

Another one from NPR

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/02/28/173163023/dennis-rodman-to-kim-jong-un-you-have-a-friend-for-life

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/opinion/2013/03/08/dennis-rodman-diplomat/

Sometimes a unique individual(not politician) plays an important role unwittingly. Nobody knows.

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 6:48:54 AM

Neurons: 141,825
Thanks AFB.

I see now why, sometimes, I am somewhat puzzled by your posts.

We live in completely different worlds. I've never heard of NBA, NPR, a 'rebounding forward' or The Pistons. I do know basketball, and play occasionally.

My ideas on Kim Jong Un and Korea?
I don't think Korea is a direct threat to the USA or Britain, but if he does something stupid like smuggling a small nuke across to South Korea (which is within the bounds of possibility) there could be a chain reaction (or butterfly breeze), ending up with the USA at war with China - not a good scene.

I think it is more a matter of "parenting" - keep an eye on him, make sure he doesn't hurt himself or cause any accidents.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
almostfreebird
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 6:54:43 AM

OK, Drag0nspeaker

I know.

You taught me there is another Rangers.

LostinSC
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 7:51:59 PM

AFB..

Gimme Shelter

Oh, a storm is threat'ning
My very life today
If I don't get some shelter
Oh yeah, I'm gonna fade away

War, children, it's just a shot away
It's just a shot away
War, children, it's just a shot away
It's just a shot away

These lyrics, I truly believe, should be a basic 'plank' in the philosophical foundation of life and never forgotten.

Words are always revelent and these - in context with the OP - are so much more important today..

Thanks for the posting.

Losty

merchant
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 1:25:52 AM

Neurons: 47,011
I am dubious on the fact that they will target the United States as a hole...

They were hesitant about targeting the prominent naval base near the coast. Though that remains a murmur in society.

I personally am not worried on this subject, even if they target the U.S, they will have immense trouble.

"Foolishness is indeed the sister of wickedness."
Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 4:04:11 AM

From reports we are receiving,the South Koreans are not preturbed, they have seen it all before.

I cannot imagine living in a country with so much hate.
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 12:53:30 PM

Neurons: 20,448
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

What?

Who's Dennis Rodman?

He also lived for a while in a beach city near Los Angeles.

He drove his neighbors crazy by frequently having loud parties that destroyed the peace at night. The police had to come out regularly to tell him to stop. But he kept up this kind of disrespectful and arrogant behavior until the day he mercifully moved away.
almostfreebird
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 1:00:36 PM

That's why I put this:

leonAzul
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 1:55:28 PM

Neurons: 25,280
I'm not scared, and I'm not impressed. China will deal with it in their own sweet time.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
leonAzul
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 2:05:19 PM

Neurons: 25,280
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Thanks AFB.

I see now why, sometimes, I am somewhat puzzled by your posts.

We live in completely different worlds. I've never heard of NBA, NPR, a 'rebounding forward' or The Pistons. I do know basketball, and play occasionally.

My ideas on Kim Jong Un and Korea?
I don't think Korea is a direct threat to the USA or Britain, but if he does something stupid like smuggling a small nuke across to South Korea (which is within the bounds of possibility) there could be a chain reaction (or butterfly breeze), ending up with the USA at war with China - not a good scene.

I think it is more a matter of "parenting" - keep an eye on him, make sure he doesn't hurt himself or cause any accidents.

I share your concern, but I think it would play otherwise.

When North Korea gets too obnoxious, it shall find itself crushed under the weight of China.
Think

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Epiphileon
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 2:16:21 PM

Neurons: 55,607
Yea Leon, I'd like to think that as well, it would probably be the best solution; however, if those people, particularly the army are as brainwashed as they appear, they're not going down without a fight no matter who tries to bring them in line.
The other point is, I'm not sure that China wants the type of economic nightmare that country is in right now.
But I have to admit, I would much rather see China do something about it than the U.S. or any of its' allies.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
almostfreebird
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 2:36:43 PM

leonAzul wrote:

Think

Everybody knows about that.

ithink140
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 2:52:35 PM

Neurons: 17,922
I think that the situation is indeed worrying on several levels.

It does appear that despite every effort North Korea possesses nuclear weapon, why should we be any more confident that Iran will not follow the same path. The failure of the West to stop proliferation of nuclear weapons gives grist to their ambitions.

There is no logic to staring a nuclear conflict, but since when has war had to do with logic? It only needs on doddering old fart, or someone in a position who sees no future, for them to push the button and all hell would be let loose.

North Korea, as a result of its policies, has been driven into a corner like a rat with no escape path. The only real hope is a collapse of a dynasty.

I think China is loath to interfere since the outcome could be very bloody and even prolonged, thus constituting a threat to their own governance.
War is expensive and China is in the throes of development, a development that it does not want to hinder.

China has its own difficulties holding on to the status quo, a battle it will surely lose, and wants to take change at its own level. The day the Chinese State decided, in the exercise of its free will, to go for a free market economy the cards were dealt for the end of their style of governing. China is fearful of uprising, especially near its borders, and does not want to see the common man uprising.

So I think the actions of North Korea could have far reaching affects… who knows… certainly there is no cause for complacency.

'Life is too short to be eaten up by hate.'
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2013 6:42:55 AM

Neurons: 265,027
Should Mars Incorporated drop some food help over the PRK?

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2013 7:17:59 AM

Underground nukes are scheduled for Wednesday.

Have you seen any of the propagander on the news, its hateful?, aimed at the south and the US.
Epiphileon
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:28:43 AM

Neurons: 55,607
South Korea and U.S. Gird for Missile Test by North Korea

Opps, what a coincidence we were testing our anti-missle system the same day.

At least I think that would be a great way to play it.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?