The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

impuissance Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 71,055
impuissance

(noun) Powerlessness revealed by an inability to act.

Synonyms: helplessness, weakness

Usage: She stood frozen, in a state of impuissance, as her friend was mauled by the escaped tiger.
reiki333
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:34:41 AM

Neurons: 377
He stammered, befuddle & confused, his impuissance overwhelming him. He never expected her to finally snap back at him, after years of respectful silence while his condescending criticisms led her to tears every time she laid eyes on him. His enigmatic behavior was bewildering, when all she ever wanted was his affection. the shithead!!!lol Brick wall Boo hoo! Drool
tchensa
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:33:25 AM

Neurons: 126
ha ha ha! I learn a new word... not the "impuissance" ( because it's a french word) but "shithead"...

we can make a link between these two words... In french, impuissance means too that a man can't make love because he is not able to xxx( you know what, and i don't know the words for that).it's a physiological or psychological problem.
So, the man who you are talking about is a shithead, but perhaps is he suffering of "impuissance"....This illness makes some men really stupid...

ok ok! I know "c'est tiré par les cheveux!"Shhh
Angus
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:48:57 AM

Neurons: 5,146
tschensa ... thank you for your delightful comment. "Qui n'entend qu'une cloche n'entend qu'une son."

"Everyone has a plan until he gets punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:53:37 AM

Neurons: 6,040
Again, I'm thinking the Mets Anxious
Epiphileon
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:32:49 AM

Neurons: 62,004
c'est tiré par les cheveux
Qui n'entend qu'une cloche n'entend qu'une son

c' is drawn by the hair
Who n' hears qu' a bell n' hears qu' a sound

I'm figuring Babelfish just doesn't deal with contractions well but, even with that allowance, I couldn't quite get the jist of this.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
tchensa
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:48:11 AM

Neurons: 126
Quote:
c'est tiré par les cheveux
Qui n'entend qu'une cloche n'entend qu'une son

c' is drawn by the hair
Who n' hears qu' a bell n' hears qu' a sound

I'm figuring Babelfish just doesn't deal with contractions well but, even with that allowance, I couldn't quite get the jist of this.

I'm going to explain it with my "poor" english:Anxious (sorry)
"Qui n'entend qu'une cloche n'entend qu'un son" : someone who just listen a kind of bell can just hear a type of sound. It's an expression wich mean that for having a good idea about a subject, you must take informations everywhere and from a lot a persons and not just listening only one person.

for the second expression it's more difficult:

c'est tiré par les cheveux / " c' " is the contraction of "ce" = " mon explication" -> so: mon explication est tirée par les cheveux.
it's an idiomatic expression that you can translate by "my explanation is drawn by the hair"
The result of my reflexion is so much,(too much perhaps) unconventional that I can't take it out of my head ( brain) by the usual way ( brain -> mouth to tell it) I take it off of my brain "through" my hairs....
does it mean something for you??? it's really difficult to explain this expression...Brick wall

Think