The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Summer afternoon...the two most beautiful words in the English language. Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 77,253
Summer afternoon...the two most beautiful words in the English language.

Henry James (1843-1916)
MTC
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 6:45:16 AM

Neurons: 8,606
This is not the context of the quotation, but the opening lines of James' masterpiece, Portrait of a Lady:

Under certain circumstances there are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea. There are circumstances in which, whether you partake of the tea or not--some people of course never do--the situation is in itself delightful. Those that I have in mind in beginning to unfold this simple history offered an admirable setting to an innocent pastime. The implements of the little feast had been disposed upon the lawn of an old English country-house, in what I should call the perfect middle of a splendid summer afternoon. Part of the afternoon had waned, but much of it was left, and what was left was of the finest and rarest quality. Real dusk would not arrive for many hours; but the flood of summer light had begun to ebb, the air had grown mellow, the shadows were long upon the smooth, dense turf. They lengthened slowly, however, and the scene expressed that sense of leisure still to come which is perhaps the chief source of one's enjoyment of such a scene at such an hour. From five o'clock to eight is on certain occasions a little eternity; but on such an occasion as this the interval could be only an eternity of pleasure...

(underlining added)
(http://www2.newpaltz.edu/~hathawar/portrait1.html)

Christine
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 10:58:08 AM

Neurons: 15,842
I hate winter. I agree w/this.

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

Thommy
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 12:09:28 PM

Neurons: 464
If there were no winter you couldn't
appreciate the beauty of spring and summer.Boo hoo!
capitán
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 7:14:01 PM

Neurons: 22,157
"time has fallen asleep in the afternoon sunshine."

...Where I come from, we have a rainy season and a dry season. There is no summer, and I wouldn´t appreciate summer the way I should because we have no winter. Therefore, until I see and feel winter, until I exerience summer, I wouldn´t know. Regardless of my experience with the seasons, these two words do remind me of somewhere, a place I´ve never been to:

"an idle life I live in this place, as the world counts it...here I can live as I please, here I can throw the reins on the neck of my whim. Here I play with my own thoughts; here I rippen for the grave."
jcbarros
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 9:29:21 PM

Neurons: 9,052
He was not living in the tropic, for sure.
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:24:06 PM

Neurons: 46,147
Like Capitan,

I grew up knowing only The Wet and The Dry. But there were days that stay in my mind even now; when the sun shone from clear, deep skies and sparked reflections from the surface of the sea like crystals; where the clear greeny-blue waters presented shifting, swaying and colourfully crowded worlds; where one sipped a cold drink through a bamboo straw in scented, luxurious shade in the steaming world after a monsoon; where each tiny blonde hair on ones arms shivered in sunlit feathers...and I would realise that all over the rest of the world rugged up, pale people were gazing at travel brochures and probably descending into a life-time dream of simply visiting the places I lived: the places of perpetual Summer.

So I stacked those times high in the attics of my memory so that I could, if needed, save them for a rainy day. I hadn't experienced winter then, either, but I knew it would come in one guise or other.
LostinSC
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:47:49 PM

Neurons: 1,328
God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December.

J. M. Barrie

Romany:

"So I stacked those times high in the attics of my memory so that I could, if needed, save them for a rainy day."

How that must comfort you.

The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom. H. L. Mencken
gradyone
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:43:09 PM

Neurons: 12,277

Wonderful posts, Romany and Captain, and welcome to the forums, Captain.

Although I grew up in the US Midwest and Southeast and experienced winters
at their snowiest and coldest, I also lived in Puerto Rico and Central Texas --
Now that I'm back in the Midwest and shoveled snow off my drive and sidewalks
again today, it's easy for me to let memories of hot, muggy days keep me warm
while the icy wind hammers me as I plow through the snow.

As far as H. James' quote goes, I'm happy that my life has given me half of
his quote to consider as a most beautiful word -- but I drop one of his words
in order to dwell on these: Afternoon delight. ..Angel

Viva Geronimo
Paradiesvogelserge
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:39:40 PM

Neurons: 3
I've always loved the 4 seasons although like Captain, I was born in El Salvador, where we have two seasons only. Fortunately, I've been lucky enough as to experience both winter and summer in a foreing country. During my time abroad, I've met people whose days were deeply sad on account of the bad weather and the grey winter days. When the summer finally arrived, I saw them all blossom like flowers during springtime. This showed me the great influence that weather can have on human beings, their behaviour and mood. Being born in a warm country, always bright and sunny, I could barely relate to their feelings at first. However, those people made me reflect on my own distress about enduring hot temperatures most of the time. So, at the end of the day, I ended up sharing the feeling and started enjoying these lovely "summer afternoons".

There is no wonder why weather has deeply influenced and inspired such masterpieces in all art forms.
Luftmarque
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:51:36 PM

Neurons: 33,387
I grew up in a four-seasons region (central Illinois, US) and do love the cycle—each part of which has its own charms. But, having recently become rather skinny and more susceptible to the cold, I can do without the sub-zero days.

}- Luftmarque لوفتمارك -{ Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.—Voltaire
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:55:08 AM

Neurons: 46,147
Yeah Grady - the great thing about Afternoon Delight is that one can indulge whatever the weather, isn't it?
Christine
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:13:09 AM

Neurons: 15,842
Thommy wrote:
If there were no winter you couldn't
appreciate the beauty of spring and summer.Boo hoo!

rubbish

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

gradyone
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:21:33 AM

Neurons: 12,277
Romany wrote:
Yeah Grady - the great thing about Afternoon Delight is that one can indulge whatever the weather, isn't it?

Mmmmm, together forever regardless the weather.

Viva Geronimo
capitán
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:34:07 PM

Neurons: 22,157
I guess I´d rather prefer rain, if I could choose, rain and tall mountains.
And thanks for the welcome! I Truly appreciate it.