The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog... Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,856
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)
dusty
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:54:41 AM

Neurons: 5,765
Definitely true for dogs who are not named Michael or Jerry, Irish Terriers are known to attack and not stand down unless commanded by God. Although I am assuming Twain distinguishes between man and Angels and Spirits and other "invisibles" who are not of flesh. The color invisible is sometimes described as brilliant white or "white as snow" such as Mary's Little Lamb, which is why Mary never got into trouble for doing things that were against the rules, although the children sometimes get in a little bit of trouble laughing and giggling in elfish tones at the sight of those with raiment white as snow.

I always wondered how the same Angels could strike the fear of God in previously fearless grown men, yet cause children to giggle like happy munchkins in the Wizard of Oz

To be concerned of the fate of the world is not bad, but bearing false witness is to not be
Kerry.P
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:23:35 AM

Neurons: 13,143
Hi Dusty,
I believe C S Lewis attempted to explain this dichotomy with the imagery of his lion Aslan.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:58:46 AM

Neurons: 30,141
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today

Mark twain

"Now" is the eternal present.
jcbarros
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:55:44 AM

Neurons: 9,052
MT is right.
pedro
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:42:30 AM

Neurons: 63,014

'..... This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.'

I'd have thought that one more obvious difference is that you don't see many citations from dogs, starving or otherwise, in 'quote of the day'

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
MTC
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:53:50 AM

Neurons: 8,606

"This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

Also the principle difference.

Miriam...
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:57:46 AM

Neurons: 12,634
To Dusty and kerryP:

I am very curious about your comments. I was wondering if you would elaborate more on them.
Verbatim
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:44:32 PM

Neurons: 245,477
Daemon wrote:
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"Biting the hand that feeds you" was not necessarily inspired by dogs; actually it evokes the human ingratitude.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:04:29 PM

Neurons: 30,141
shshshsh Miriam, that's like inviting Sheldon Cooper to express his opinion...on....anything!

smile & laugh...Ab

"Now" is the eternal present.
dusty
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:12:49 PM

Neurons: 5,765
I know I should practice staying on topic, but Jerry is an Irish Terrior from an obscure book by London. Well, not so much obscure but among the better known works nor included in many collections of London other than "complete" works collections. London wrote around 3 books with the topic of the South Seas, one of them is called "Jerry of the Islands" the language is harsh and it the stories are of about boats who cargo they run are humans, Slaves. So unfortunately there are parts of book that will make you want to put it down.

And I almost did, but then I realized the story London was trying to tell. It is a story about God's and viewpoints of knowing them, through the world of a dog. My take on it is translating it to divine interactions from a human perspective. Which takes a couple of deep breathes there to because I still didn't appreciate the unrecognized hatred that was deemed as civilized by white men. But in London's book, white men do not symbolize caucasian, the symbolize the Divine. White as in white as snow, like the biblical meaning as in "invisible" but detectable if they will allow you to see them. And black in London's book symbolizing mankind (mortals that inhabit a body of flesh)

the angels, especially the Angel of the Lord, is not a bringer of good news to most people who interact with him. He is a destroying Angel, they in general do not interfere with human life and you have to be ivolved in some serious injustices for the destroyer to be called upon.

However the Angel of Lord is also a gentle righteous angel, often revealing himself to children in a form that is for the most part invisible like white light. Showing interacting with children a child's eyes will focus of one but you cannot see him. They will seemingly for no reason begin laughing hysterically and a particularly giggley laugh that can only be described as elfish.

When I have tried to get kids to tell me what was so funny they get fairly upset like I rudely interrupted a private personal conversation, and I guess in some ways I did. But children will not discuss it even later .

the nursery rythme, I believe, is not about a literal lamb, white as snow is a definite reference to an angel, in fact the lamb being The Angel of the Lord. Very serious if not THE destroying Angel, and the laughing and singing when they reveal to little ones while "on duty" in unmistakable, elfish giggle hysterically, high and pleasant pitched hummn that communicates joy.

other interpretations of the dogs are that they are represent the Angels that put an end to all injustices against the innocent by humans who refuse to not abuse power. Another the other dog's name is Michael. Both dogs absolutely dispise the humans species for all the injustices carried out. Some believe the Irish Terrier is a warning to IT people who abuse others with their increasing control and non existence of laws and rules or any way of catching those who do these things even though everything is recorded in logs. It is just that so few people understand how to retrieve the logs.

Specifically illegal monitoring such as employed by CIA, FBI, law enforcement, Mormon church. Technically and ethically speaking, even though they are aware of a lot of illegal activity, it they overlook it, as they only reason for such gross violations of privacy is to fight terrorism, however because it is said that terror cells are funded by drug money and agencies like Homeland security double as INET as well.

People who understand how true classic literature speaks from the past directly to a specific time in the future, some of those people see the IT of the dogs breed to be prophetic as in maybe it's time to behave more ethically with citizens of the United States of America

but those people are zealots and a little kookoo.

never the less nobody with any sort of common sense would tempt a destroying one of the two Destroying Angels, again those who referred to as raiment white as snow, meaning invisible

To be concerned of the fate of the world is not bad, but bearing false witness is to not be
Miriam...
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:56:52 PM

Neurons: 12,634
To Absurdicus: I don't know who Sheldon Cooper is. I will have to look him up on the internet. He must be a 'talker'.:)

Thank you Dusty; there was quite a lot of information in your explanation I didn't know about. Some of it I found quite fascinating.
Kerry.P
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:08:32 PM

Neurons: 13,143
@Kirk - Not talking Are you talking to me? - Don't answer that!!

@ Miriam, It's been a while since I read 'The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe' so going from memory I can't add much, other than I seem to remember one character, probably Lucy, describing the feeling of fear and awe when Aslan roars, yet also wanting to hug him and hide her face in his mane.