The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Spelling dilemna Options
Hope1
Posted: Wednesday, November 2, 2011 11:53:08 AM

Neurons: 3,352
This may have been already addressed. I did not read the whole thread.

But I wonder how the 'Na' people pronounce it.

Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts. Bernard M. Baruch 1870-1965
nowherenothere
Posted: Wednesday, November 2, 2011 12:02:41 PM

Neurons: 2,096
Hope1 wrote:
This may have been already addressed. I did not read the whole thread.

See page 5 of this thread for starters after pages 1 through 4 if so desired.

Forgiving is Love, Love is For Giving.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, November 2, 2011 12:26:35 PM

Neurons: 426,755
From page 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG3-iuuHY5k&feature=related

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
thar
Posted: Wednesday, November 2, 2011 12:38:58 PM

Neurons: 73,789
Quote:

just passing through, brain not on. Ah, who are the 'Na' people - African, Indonesian? It is being very specific to wonder how one particular group of people pronounce something!

Neuron wakes up and stretches -

Ah, that curious lost tribe of 'Na' people, living undetected amongst the 'Ma'!

nowherenothere
Posted: Wednesday, November 2, 2011 12:46:29 PM

Thar, is this then the origin of the terms Nanu Nanu and Nama? or is that yet another dilemna? Inquiring minds need to know in the interests of absolving ignorance.

thar
Posted: Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:40:47 PM

Neurons: 73,789
I think the MAs look down on the NAs, until it is cool to be a NA, but then everyone spells it that way, so the REALLY cool people go back to being MAs...

and the end result is NAMAs and everyone is happy!

But not so happy we can't keep posting about it, obviously Drool
nowherenothere
Posted: Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:57:51 PM

Ahh, I see, sort of similar to Stars upon Thars, as the good Doctor said, dilemnama resolved, maybe.

Hope1
Posted: Wednesday, November 2, 2011 7:18:03 PM

Neurons: 3,352
Beautiful. My laugh for the day.

Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts. Bernard M. Baruch 1870-1965
Audiendus
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 6:09:03 PM

Neurons: 948,028
It is interesting to note the following:

Analemma – a scale found on sundials, shaped like a figure 8, showing the declination of the sun and corresponding time for every day of the year. [From Greek analemma, pedestal.]

Lemniscate – a curve like that of a figure 8, e.g. the infinity symbol. [From Latin lemniscus, ribbon, from Greek lemniskos.]

I don't know whether this has any bearing on the dilemma/dilemna question, but it's worth thinking about.
DavidScott
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 6:53:46 PM

Neurons: 2,076
I'm flabbergasted. I have only ever known it as dilemna. I'm sure that if I had come across dilemma, I would remember, as I would have had to look it up. It will always be "dilemna" to me. Perhaps the word isn't that common in literature or elsewhere, because I would think I'd have seen this alternate spelling.
excaelis
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 9:48:42 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Yeah, " Dilemna-22 " isn't quite as catchy.

Sanity is not statistical
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:09:36 AM

Neurons: 181,548

David Scott - try looking up "dilemna'!!

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
dingdong
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:28:14 AM

Neurons: 3,370
DavidScott wrote:
I'm flabbergasted. I have only ever known it as dilemna. I'm sure that if I had come across dilemma, I would remember, as I would have had to look it up. It will always be "dilemna" to me. Perhaps the word isn't that common in literature or elsewhere, because I would think I'd have seen this alternate spelling.

Yes, it's fascinating that those who are flabbergasted don't know why they think dilemna is correct.
DavidScott
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:41:05 PM

Neurons: 2,076
dingdong wrote:
DavidScott wrote:

Yes, it's fascinating that those who are flabbergasted don't know why they think dilemna is correct.

Actually, I do know why I think dilemna is correct. As you can see from the responses, a great many people were taught this spelling, myself included. On top of that, many people who were taught this spelling became writers who then spelled the word this way in many books, periodicals, etc. It's only natural to spell something a certain way when you have seen that spelling used over and over.
RuthP
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:25:43 AM

Neurons: 61,946
More than 570 replies; almost 145,000 (!) views: I love this thread! I hadn't thought of it since that last burst in November and it is nice to see it active again.

DavidScott -- Even many of us who never heard of the -mna spelling until this thread started are convinced people have been taught the erroneous spelling. Try as we might, however, we have (so far) been unable to locate any source. We've not found even a mimeographed spelling list from someone's grammar school days, let alone a speller or a dictionary.

It seems likely that somewhere someone has old school papers squirreled away in boxes which include a spelling handout or workbook, or a word list with the -mna spelling given. Perhaps, some day, they'll wind-up here and we can move the search one more step.
Briton
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:38:24 PM

Neurons: 16,440
DavidScott wrote:
dingdong wrote:
DavidScott wrote:

Actually, I do know why I think dilemna is correct. As you can see from the responses, a great many people were taught this spelling, myself included. On top of that, many people who were taught this spelling became writers who then spelled the word this way in many books, periodicals, etc. It's only natural to spell something a certain way when you have seen that spelling used over and over.

I have read many, many books in my many, many years. I have only ever seen dilemma spelled as I and many others were taught it: dilemma.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:49:30 PM

Briton wrote:

I have read many, many books in my many, many years. I have only ever seen dilemma spelled as I and many others were taught it: dilemma.

I have read many many books during many many years in Finnish, English, and Swedish - and never bumped on dilemna before this thread ;-)

RubyMoon
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 12:42:12 PM

Neurons: 4,834
Not sure if these websites have been referenced (already) somewhere in this thread, etc., and can't vouch for the content/accuracy-

Mignon Fogarty:
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/is-it-dilemma-or-dilemna.aspx

Michael Quinion:
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-dil1.htm
almostfreebird
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 1:00:11 PM

Neurons: 7,024

I don't know Mignon Fogarty, but I know John Fogerty:

Long as I Can See the Light

wingerjeff1
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:07:13 PM

Neurons: 3
well many people learn on tv that it was dilemma so people will naturally jump to the conclusion it is right. Pop culture has struck again to change vocabulary...
Briton
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:17:19 PM

Neurons: 16,440
With respect, wingerjeff1, have you read the previous posts?

Check out Mignon Fogerty among others. The original spelling was dilemma.
srirr
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:52:33 AM

Neurons: 296,973
She seems to be in dilemma.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
leonAzul
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:18:28 AM

Neurons: 27,518
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Briton wrote:

I have read many many books during many many years in Finnish, English, and Swedish - and never bumped on dilemna before this thread ;-)

Indeed, not only that, but in vocabulary sections the Greek roots "di" and "lemma" were pointed out, which was then reinforced during Analytic Geometry where a "lemma" is a formal supporting theorem or corollary to a mathematical proof.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
sj johanssen
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:18:20 AM

Neurons: 3
my god. i was writing to someone and couldn't remember if dilemna had one "l" or two so i googled it...big mistake. i can't believe i've stumbled onto 17 pages of a dilemna dilemna.lol. i've only ever seen it spelled with a "n" and for the people that want to know how it's pronounced when you spell it that way....the "n" is silent. just like the word "damn". well thanks all for the grammar mystery that appears will never be solved. one thing i did get out of all of it though..it just has one "L", not two.lol. cya
RuthP
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:41:01 PM

Neurons: 61,946
From 26 October 2011:
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Definitely not! "Never has so much been said by so many with so few facts..." (spoken in Sir Winston Churchill's best oratory voice).

It is a dilemna trying to find the etymology of a non-existent word.

Maybe we can get to page 17... Whistle

We made it, Drag0n! Anxious

sj johanssen wrote:
my god. i was writing to someone and couldn't remember if dilemna had one "l" or two so i googled it...big mistake. i can't believe i've stumbled onto 17 pages of a dilemna dilemna.lol. i've only ever seen it spelled with a "n" and for the people that want to know how it's pronounced when you spell it that way....the "n" is silent. just like the word "damn". well thanks all for the grammar mystery that appears will never be solved. one thing i did get out of all of it though..it just has one "L", not two.lol. cya

Welcome to the forum.

I have just (metaphorically) thumbed-through our first 16 pages. I think the percentage of single-digit posters, most of them one-time-only, must be a record in this thread. Can anyone else think of something we have where so many register, post once, and then are never heard from again?

And, we still haven't found that -mn workbook/speller/word-list!
BienTeVeo
Posted: Monday, September 3, 2012 8:01:35 PM

Neurons: 155
Dilemma!? No way. This has to be a vast cyber-prank, or a social-science experiment. If not, then the world (the one in which one finds oneself on the horns of a dilemna) is not the place I thought it was.

I'm a reasonably well-educated, 52 year-old north american who was taught dilemna, and who cannot remember ever having seen the word spelled dilemma until just now, when the spell-check function suggested it. Incredulous, I just asked my 17 year-old daughter how to she spells it. "D-I-L-E-M-M-A," she says, as the sands started shifting under my feet. My own daughter is in on the plot. I feel like Fay Dunaway in Rosemary's Baby.

tootsie
Posted: Monday, September 3, 2012 8:26:00 PM

Neurons: 23,730
[quote=RuthP]Can anyone else think of something we have where so many register, post once, and then are never heard from again?

yep, I can. They're called spammers, and getting rid of them just lately is proving to be our biggest dilemma to date.........Whistle

I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost. Winnie-the-Pooh
BienTeVeo
Posted: Monday, September 3, 2012 10:55:03 PM

Geez, Tootsie... thanks for the warm welcome!

This dilemna/dilemma thread is really quite interesting. So I joined the forum and posted my little comment (one has to start somewhere). Granted, my first contribution is a humble one. But spam? That's really harsh.

Now... my dilemna: whether to be heard from again.
Ray41
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2012 12:35:15 AM

Neurons: 45,980
BienTeVeo;
The forum has been, and still is, bombarded with spam, so we are all a little bit sensitive at the moment, which is creating a dilemma for members. Which newbies to trust? Think

Dancing So, welcome BienTeVeo, and I hope that now you have found TFD you will make further contributions, but, only if you spell 'dilemma' as 'dilemma'.Pray

While I live I grow.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2012 2:35:50 AM

Welcome, BienTeVeo!

Tootsie was commenting RuthP's post, not yours. You just happened to bring this thread up and active after a short while.
Like Ray said, we have been a target of spamming lately, but your posts are nothing like that. Keep posting in threads you find interesting.

tootsie
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2012 5:34:36 AM

Neurons: 23,730

mea culpa BienTeVeo - please forgive me, I did not mean my post directed to you at all.

Welcome to the forum !!, I hope you enjoy reading and learning as much as I do. I had never come across this thread before and was feeling a little bit sarky when I commented on RuthP's question. I hope she understands what I meant too. Thanks Ray41 and JJ.

Hope to see you around very soon :)

T x.

I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost. Winnie-the-Pooh
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2012 7:18:25 AM

Neurons: 181,548
Hello BienTeVeo!

Welcome!

Maybe you can help with this little problem of ours.

For many a year, we (the members) have been hoping that someone, somewhere, would have a dictionary or printed spelling-book (or even an old hand-written spelling list from school) with DILEMNA as an official spelling. Pray

I did find this ad for a book, however Waterstones, Amazon, WH Smith, The Book Depository and Blackwells all say that they cannot find such a book. Brick wall

This book, Language and Ethnicity by James R Dow, uses the 'dilemna' spelling in a 'learned treatise' about language (it is used in several other official books and documents on other subjects).

Maybe you will be the one to provide a source for this spelling.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
BienTeVeo
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:52:20 AM

Apology happily accepted Tootsie! I understand that everyone's a bit on edge because of the spam issue.

DragOnspeaker.... You're sending me on a philological mission! Fabulous. I'll see what I can find.

BienTeVeo
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:57:47 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hello BienTeVeo!

Welcome!

Maybe you can help with this little problem of ours.

For many a year, we (the members) have been hoping that someone, somewhere, would have a dictionary or printed spelling-book (or even an old hand-written spelling list from school) with DILEMNA as an official spelling. Pray

I did find this ad for a book, however Waterstones, Amazon, WH Smith, The Book Depository and Blackwells all say that they cannot find such a book. Brick wall

This book, Language and Ethnicity by James R Dow, uses the 'dilemna' spelling in a 'learned treatise' about language (it is used in several other official books and documents on other subjects).

Maybe you will be the one to provide a source for this spelling.

It occurs on Page 154 of Language and Ethnicity: "Unfortunately, the use of a single indicator of the language most frequently spoken with one's best friends returns us to the dilemna confronted when using Canadian data...."

But surely it can't be that easy.

BienTeVeo
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2012 2:28:05 PM

A quick search of Google Books shows that dilemma is more prevalent than dilemna. Still, there's an abundance of instances of the latter. So, while I may be wrong, I am not crazy (at least as far as the spelling of dilemna is concerned).

Here are three chosen more or less at random:

1. "If he says this, mark the dilemna into which he brings himself, his supporters, and the nation."

- From The Parlliamentary Register; or History of the Proceedings and Debates and Proceedings of the House of Commons (1794).

2. "Did an unworthy motive prompt them in their declarations? Or, are they ignorant? To me it is immaterial which horn of the dilemna they take."

- The New England botanic, medical, and surgical journal, Volume 1, p. 229 (1847)

3. And this citation: "Grammarian's Dilemna: An Introduction to an Historical Account of Latin Syntax." Proceedings of the Classical Association 50 (1953)