The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

To be different from your fellow creatures is always a misfortune. Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 68,916
To be different from your fellow creatures is always a misfortune.

L. Frank Baum (1856-1919)
Thommy
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 4:01:14 AM

Neurons: 464
Oh no,no,no.I can't agree!!!Shame on you
Why,for example,should it be a misfortune
if all your fellows have an IQ of under 100
and you are the one with 150?

This can only utter a man with very little self-confidence.
zielonosiwy
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 5:31:47 AM

Neurons: 1,154
Only if you are VERY different from your fellow creatures ... just like Lord Byron ;D
MTC
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 8:00:26 AM

Neurons: 8,606
The quotation is from The Emerald City of Oz, Chapter 8, “How the Grand Gallipoot Joined the Nomes:”

"These Growleywogs were certainly remarkable creatures. They were of gigantic size, yet were all bone and skin and muscle, there being no meat or fat upon their bodies at all. Their powerful muscles lay just underneath their skins, like bunches of tough rope, and the weakest Growleywog was so strong that he could pick up an elephant and toss it seven miles away.

It seems unfortunate that strong people are usually so disagreeable and overbearing that no one cares for them. In fact, to be different from your fellow creatures is always a misfortune. The Growleywogs knew that they were disliked and avoided by every one, so they had become surly and unsociable even among themselves. Guph knew that they hated all people, including the Nomes; but he hoped to win them over, nevertheless, and knew that if he succeeded they would afford him very powerful assistance."

By the way, Quote of the Day is poor but popular English. Quote is the verb, quotation is the noun. Frequently the words quoted are not by the authors themselves, but by one of their characters.

"To quote means to repeat the exact words of another with the acknowledgement of the source.
A quotation is a phrase or a sentence from a book or a speech that reflects the author's profound thoughts."
(http://quotations.about.com/cs/quotations101/a/bl_quotquotn.htm)

The section should be reheaded, Quotation of the Day, or perhaps based on common practice, Quotation of the Day: Feel Free to Go Off Half-Cocked!

Daemon has an L. Frank Baum theme today. The Word of the Day is clepsydra, a water clock. The usage example (see below) probably refers to the Wiked Witch in the Wizard of Oz who used a sand clock or hourglass to avoid water in a clepsydra which would cause her to melt. "The Wicked Witch dared not use a clepsydra, as its contents could destroy her."

Miriam...
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 8:31:06 AM

Neurons: 12,634
What substance could she have been made of that would have caused her to melt--or dissolve-- by the touch of water and be turned to smoke? I would like to say sugar, but we all know she couldn't have been made of the sweetness of sugar. Perhaps salts? Hopefully forum members who are chemists might have a good answer.
timbuys
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 9:00:16 AM

Neurons: 135
I totally disagree with this quote. The Lord made us individually and unique.

Besides think about how boring this world would be if we all thought alike.
Miriam...
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 9:07:37 AM

It isn't so much that we are made different, it is more that we are not accepted by the tribe from which we come.
MarySM
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 10:26:02 AM

Neurons: 6,084
timbuys wrote:
I totally disagree with this quote. The Lord made us individually and unique.

Besides think about how boring this world would be if we all thought alike.

So you're saying we are all unique, just like everyone else? Am I the only one who can see the humor in that?

"He who never made a mistake never made a discovery." Samuel Smiles
timbuys
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:40:21 PM

Neurons: 135
Mary, I see the humor. Kind of like military intelligence or jumbo shrimp :)
Verbatim
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 5:21:34 PM

Neurons: 242,759
Daemon wrote:
To be different from your fellow creatures is always a misfortune.

L. Frank Baum (1856-1919)

Quote (informal) or quotation, what matters is that we understand it and we learn from it. Sometimes it is enough if we are reminded of something we know,
because we think. For instance, isn't the subject quote suggesting that being different deserves sympathy? Want to learn about the author? Click on his highlighted name.
See, he emphasized tolerance, among other American virtues, in his books. One can also wait for MTC to do the legwork, before going off half-cocked. Anxious

Here is a quotation from Sir Winston, never mind its implied slur, we have all been and still are uneducated:
“It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations. The quotations, when engraved upon the memory, give you good thoughts. They also make you anxious to read the authors and look for more.” (from My Early Life-1930)
Be anxious: read more, look for more, discuss; that's what this site is all about.

GabhSigenod
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 5:38:26 PM

Neurons: 149,736
I have always enjoyed being odd.

Mise, tá mé lán de dea-fhortún.
dusty
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 5:41:15 PM

Neurons: 5,755
Perhaps she was some sort of permanganate, they don't react well with water.

Sometimes seemingly wise words or sayings lend toward a better understanding and other times they serve to confuse. Understanding the responsibility that cannot be separated from every Freedom, can only be worked around by complying with that level of responsibility that so few are willing to truthfully recognize both their confusion AND understanding which typically means they aren't living up to the responsibility of the very Freedoms they exercise.

To be concerned of the fate of the world is not bad, but bearing false witness is to not be
Miriam...
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2013 7:51:17 PM

Thank you Dusty; that is a thought.:)
Romany
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2013 9:26:27 PM

Neurons: 42,233
Verbatim -

"See, he emphasized tolerance, among other American virtues..."

Seriously? Tolerance is the province of the Americans - one single community in the entire world?

Bit of a slap in the face for the rest of us, isn't it?
Verbatim
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 4:49:45 PM

Romany wrote:
Verbatim -

"See, he emphasized tolerance, among other American virtues..."

Seriously? Tolerance is the province of the Americans - one single community in the entire world?

Bit of a slap in the face for the rest of us, isn't it?

Romany: I may be wasting my time. For the record though, my post had a context as did the words paraphrased from Baum's biography.
You treated both unfairly, to say the least. No need for the tiff, there was no offense.

Read again, think, now if you feel like it, give yourself a good slap on the face for being unfair.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 4:02:23 AM

Verbatim -

No tiff whatsoever. I meant it in the spirit of (very)wry humour. I did, as you suggested, go back and read the Wiki link once more and suffer no great urge to slap myself upside the head.

My comment was not directed AT you: it was inviting your complicity in the clumsy way it was written in the link which invited a promulgation of theme therein. My pointing out of the word 'tolerance' as darkly humourous was in consideration of the fact that, at the time Baum was writing, apartheid was still being practiced in America. Had it not been, Baum's lessons on tolerance would not have been so important and yet the person who wrote the Wiki article destroyed that with one word, by then making Baum's message parochial and not universal.

I guess I should stick to my guns and avoid EVER referencing it - but I had thought that after all this time of banging on about them, my views on Wiki were by now well-known.

If apologies are needed I guess I should apologise for the assumption that you had ever before read any of my posts and were familiar with my way of thinking. That WAS presumptuous. Sorry.
Verbatim
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 1:47:17 PM

Romany: Thank you for your trouble.
..."(very) wry", sounds like a good explanation. No apologies are needed. I am now familiar with your way of thinking.
Romany
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 7:27:27 AM

Pax.
excaelis
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 5:55:19 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Your error, Romany, was in thinking that Americans can laugh at something before we've explained to them why it's funny...Angel

Sanity is not statistical