The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Moore's Law Options
3unorchid
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 5:24:27 AM

Neurons: 898
Bill Gates said that Microsoft is always 18 months away from bankruptcy/being bankrupt, as is indicated by Moore's Law. What is the original words?
Or is "Microsoft is always at risk of being bankrupt in 18 months." a better version. (I translated it from the Chinese quote version)
thar
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 6:14:33 AM

Neurons: 82,812
the first version 'eighteen months from bankruptcy' is better because it is about what may happen in the future. Computer chip technology gets better so fast (that is Moore's Law - an observation that processing power doubles every two years) that Microsoft has to continually innovate to keep up. Otherwise, in eighteen months time its products will be too slow and old-fashioned and the company will go bankrupt because nobody will buy from it.

Saying 'they are always at risk of being bankrupt in eighteen months' implies that is their current status now - that they are at risk of goin bankrupt. That is not true - they are not at risk, they are healthy. It is talking about the future possibilities, of what is there if they do not [continue to] keep up with computing technology.

look up that version to find the original speech, and you are more likely to find it, I think.
3unorchid
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 6:21:30 AM

Neurons: 898
"eighteen months from bankruptcy"---why do you delete the "away" here?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 10:01:28 AM

Neurons: 205,635
The only mention of this that I can find is second-hand. It is a quote from Zhang Yaqin, corporate vice president of Microsoft and chairman of Microsoft Asia-Pacific Research and Development Group (as reported by China.org.cn):

Quote:
"...shows that the IT industry is full of changes and crisis. If you don't innovate or subvert yourself, maybe your business will disappear in several years. As Gates once famously said, "Microsoft is always away from bankruptcy only 18 months." ...

I really do not think that that is the way Bill Gates would have said it (and in several "Bill Gates Quotes" sites, it is not mentioned Eh? ).

The "away" is not necessary (the word 'from' indicates a movement away, anyway). It is OK to use 'away', but memorable quotes are usually short!

The Bill Gates quote I first heard as "I can't conceive of anyone needing more than 640k memory in a computer" is now most quoted as "640k ought to be enough for anybody."

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2012 11:43:50 PM

Neurons: 39,933
Moore, Murphy!

Murphy was an Irish man, whos law was that?
almostfreebird
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2012 11:48:52 PM

Neurons: 7,024
Tovarish wrote:
Moore, Murphy!

Murphy was an Irish man, whos law was that?

Gordon Moore