The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I can resist everything except temptation. Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 70,650
I can resist everything except temptation.

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Tovarish
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 12:57:19 AM

Neurons: 39,933
Apparently.
Verbatim
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 1:43:45 AM

Neurons: 242,759
Daemon wrote:

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Well, nobody accused Oscar Wilde of modesty, or lack of ostentatious honesty.

And he never claimed to be virtuous, or did he? Imagine that, Oscar Wilde anticipating my modest, hereunder thought:

Our virtue exists only to the extent it has been tested under temptation, and has rejected the pressure from
within and from the poor example of our vile peers. Before the restraint, virtue is nothing more than... questionable goodness.
Jimbob
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 7:23:27 AM

Neurons: 486
Oscar Wilde 1854-1900
`````````````````````````````````````````
JB
Horatio : temptation it seems like the ‘camp’ is divided on this one Eve.
Eve : camp 'chuckles' how charming Wilde is, I'm sure, and full of wit a real ladies man, or as the case maybe a real man's man :)
Horatio : I wouldn't take it as gospel, after all in his play ‘Dorian Grey’ he uses this aphorism with some variation.
Eve : Is it life’s aim, if one has one, Horatio, for people to actively seek-out (yield to) temptation, all the while knowingly it is a sin ?
Horatio : "Lead us not into temptation" is a way that God ‘leads’ us away from affliction and evil. We pray this gives us an inner strength and direction which guards against folly and sin all the while keeping wiles of our enemy Satan from entering our soul. Much the same way shalom (wellbeing...) is in contrasted to Ra’ (wickedness...) one is better without the other, although it works both ways for some ‘people.’
Eve : to concoct such a situation with such an opposing effort, temptation so easy, yet restraint so difficult, given that the forbidden fruit has a delightful charm almost seems absurd.
Horatio : don’t worry dear when you’re a granny it shouldn't be a problem :)
Eve : ditto.
jcbarros
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 7:52:01 AM

Neurons: 9,052
Resist temptation, and sooner or later you´ll repent.
MTC
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 8:24:55 AM

Neurons: 8,606

It's evident Wilde had his finger on something. That's why a Google search under Wilde's saying gets 2.270,000 hits, and the screen populates with T-shirt ads. But what is the "something" which makes the saying so popular? Wilde was confessing a truth we all recognize: It's much easier to posture as virtuous than to be virtuous. If resisting temptation were easy The Book of All Saints would be much thicker and more of us would wear sackcloth. But human nature being what it is, most of us empathize with Wilde's open admission of fallibility, and gladly leave the sackcloth to the saints. The suit never fit well anyway. This, however, does not completely account for the saying's popularity. We also secretly enjoy Wilde's evident relish in flouting the rules and his lusty and unfettered embrace of all that life offers. Aren't we at least a little bit--maybe more than a little bit--like Wilde too?

thegr8luiz
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 3:36:45 PM

Neurons: 141
From his quotes I gather that Oscar Wilde had quite a sense of humor and an approach to life that was both sarcastic and practical.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
Verbatim
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 4:02:14 PM

MTC wrote:

It's evident Wilde had his finger on something. That's why a Google search under Wilde's saying gets 2.270,000 hits, and the screen populates with T-shirt ads. But what is the "something" which makes the saying so popular? Wilde was confessing a truth we all recognize: It's much easier to posture as virtuous than to be virtuous. If resisting temptation were easy The Book of All Saints would be much thicker and more of us would wear sackcloth. But human nature being what it is, most of us empathize with Wilde's open admission of fallibility, and gladly leave the sackcloth to the saints. The suit never fit well anyway. This, however, does not completely account for the saying's popularity. We also secretly enjoy Wilde's evident relish in flouting the rules and his lusty and unfettered embrace of all that life offers. Aren't we at least a little bit--maybe more than a little bit--like Wilde too?

Yes, MTC, there is strength in large numbers, it would not be the first time that those who rally may have
less than the noble purpose at heart. And yes, again, many of us are a lot like Wilde, not just relishing the flouting
but enjoying the flaunting. And then again, many of us are tempted to flaunt their false virtuosity.

Surely, just because it isn't easy to resist temptation--and there are many kinds around--it does not follow that
we might just as well abandon ourselves to it seeing how human nature is fallible?

Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 2:27:32 AM

Neurons: 4,678
I like this part of Verbatim's post:

"Our virtue exists only to the extent it has been tested under temptation, and has rejected the pressure from
within and from the poor example of our vile peers. Before the restraint, virtue is nothing more than... questionable goodness."

However, I do not think that one can look into another's heart, or soul, and know what resides there, and decide for another what his or her morality should be, and be their judged; for we cannot know what another's truth is. We can only know our own.
Viking88
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 4:25:27 AM

Neurons: 3,878
Marissa quotes Verbatim (Ha ha, good one hey?)

This, however, does not completely account for the saying's popularity. We also secretly enjoy Wilde's evident relish in flouting the rules and his lusty and unfettered embrace of all that life offers. Aren't we at least a little bit--maybe more than a little bit--like Wilde too?

Heaven, if there is one, protect us from unrestrained lust in it's many forms. It may be amusing to see a few extraverts doing so but little imagination is required to picture the results if the greater populace should succumb.
Cheers

"We are all verbs as well as nouns; jazz is that sphere where being and doing are synonymous". Michael Steinman.
MTC
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 5:50:23 AM

"Heaven, if there is one, protect us from unrestrained lust in it's many forms. It may be amusing to see a few extraverts doing so but little imagination is required to picture the results if the greater populace should succumb."

Yes, it certainly would be a Wilde state of affairs, wouldn't it!? Decency pales at the spectacle of "unrestrained lust!!" Oh my. On second thought, safer and more "amusing to see a few extraverts doing so." Watch from a blameless distance, heh, heh.

Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 6:13:30 AM

I have read many years ago, 'The American abroard' or some thing similar.

It was timeless.
MTC
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 6:35:14 AM

Tovarish wrote:
I have read many years ago, 'The American abroard' or some thing similar.

It was timeless.

How was it, whatever "it" was, "timeless," and why?

Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 10:59:18 AM

Could have been written yesterday, probably a little verbose to our way of speaking but relivant.
Verbatim
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 4:27:52 PM

Viking88 wrote:
Marissa quotes Verbatim (Ha ha, good one hey?)

This, however, does not completely account for the saying's popularity. We also secretly enjoy Wilde's evident relish in flouting the rules and his lusty and unfettered embrace of all that life offers. Aren't we at least a little bit--maybe more than a little bit--like Wilde too?

Heaven, if there is one, protect us from unrestrained lust in it's many forms. It may be amusing to see a few extraverts doing so but little imagination is required to picture the results if the greater populace should succumb.
Cheers

My dear Viking88 : What follows your first line, the one that made you laugh, is not by Marissa nor is it by Verbatim,
just so everybody understands. You have made a comment to someone else's, found in the second paragraph, but omitted the quotation marks.

BTW, I certainly agree with what you wrote next: indeed, what if the greater populace should succumb to Wilde's temptation?
Might I add, what if we succumbed to all kinds of temptations, because temptation in general,(not just presumably lust for minors)
was what Wilde so nonchalantly said he could not resist?
What if one is tempted to burn down houses, or kill the innocent children, or even some petty revenge
like putting a few door dents in someone else's new car? What if we, all, did not resist these temptations?
RRP
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 5:59:47 PM

Neurons: 514

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. -1 Corinthians 10:13

-fini
Verbatim
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 7:10:52 PM

RRP wrote:

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. -1 Corinthians 10:13

Yes, God will provide. Provided you help, at least a little. The difference between resisting and accepting temptation.
Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 10:30:29 PM

'Opportunity knocks, temptation knocks the door down'
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 12:49:46 AM

I think a life that is most free, is a life that has self control and discipline. Because it is with these two character traits that one accomplishes what one dreams of; and it is what prevents one's life from becoming a an uncontrollable mess...it also keeps one out of jail.
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 12:50:06 AM

I think a life that is most free, is a life that has self control and discipline. Because it is with these two character traits that one accomplishes what one dreams of; and it is what prevents one's life from becoming a an uncontrollable mess...It also keeps one out of jail.
Verbatim
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 1:39:28 AM

Marissa La Faye Isolde wrote:
I think a life that is most free, is a life that has self control and discipline. Because it is with these two character traits that one accomplishes what one dreams of; and it is what prevents one's life from becoming a an uncontrollable mess...It also keeps one out of jail.

Well said, any freedom must allow for self control and discipline, and respect for the freedom of the next person.
dusty
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 3:58:42 AM

Neurons: 5,755
The thing is, there are many temptations that are considered wrong because those who entertain them do so irresponsibly.

Another thing is, even today most people fail to recognize each responsibility that must be observed to remain righteous in the exercising of freedom. Because of this many behaviors society deems OK, or within the bounds of behaving righteously, are in truth wrongs committed.

They are wrong when people do not live up to the responsibility that must be observed, which is specific to the freedom exercised.

This (failing to observe an exercised freedom's associated responsibility) is exactly what Jefferson believed was the phenomena of " The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

But even he did not realize that is only so due to any freedom exercised irresponsibly.

It is also the reason why God had been rumored to say

"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

only the whole truth of God's Words did not get recorded. You will surely die from exercising the many freedoms that you will be aware of, freedoms that come from knowing the knowledge, if you fail to understand the responsibilities that must be observed, should you choose to exercise any of these magnificent, newly found freedoms.

I don't know why the most important part was left out, but it definitely was (left out). And I do not believe it is right to use this criteria for testing human being's worthiness during these latter days.

It is a very unfortunate event that so much of this world and all of the details of how it works are now know, to the point the are no longer any valid excuses to live ignorantly, yet still so many choose to live exactly in that manner, ignorance. For this reason alone (the choice to live ignorantly) the death of this life, will be the last death they experience in the body of a human being, being ignorant of the fact that this death that will eventually be experienced was not their first. It has been nearly 2000 years since the resurrection began, that is quite some time that has passed in this "sorting out" the pass and no pass.

Those who choose this death to be there last (which does NOT mean eternal life as Human) and do so because the responsibility necessary was, in their opinion too much and not worth living as a human is OK, and nothing to be sad about. But it isn't easy to witness those who wanted to live in a recognized Heaven, and live here as a Human, but because they were oblivious in this life they failed while in probation, is sad. But the alternative would mean permanent death for all human beings as the planet would become inhabitable.

To be concerned of the fate of the world is not bad, but bearing false witness is to not be