The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What terrified me will terrify others; and I need only describe the specter which had haunted my midnight pillow. Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 67,812
What terrified me will terrify others; and I need only describe the specter which had haunted my midnight pillow.

Mary Shelley (1797-1851)
MTC
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:45:31 AM

Neurons: 8,606
She is describing her famous inspiration for Frankenstein:

Mary Shelley received her inspiration for the epic horror story Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus while visiting with Lord Bryon, the brother of her future husband, Percy Byron Shelley, at his Swiss villa in 1816. At the tender age of eighteen, she experienced an extraordinary nightmare following a "ghost story" session in which she had participated with Shelley, Byron, his mistress, and a local doctor. Byron, inspired by the stories shared in the group, suggested that all present should attempt to write a horror story. Mary Shelley had a nightmare that night that she recalled vividly enough to use as the basis for her novel. The following is part of her account of that nightmare.

My imagination, unbidden, possessed and guided me, gifting the successive images that arose in my mind with a vividness far beyond the usual bounds of reveries.… I saw the pale student of unhallowed arts kneeling beside the thing he had put together-I saw the hideous phantasm of a man stretched out, and then, on the working of some powerful engine, show signs of life, and stir with an uneasy, half-vital motion.… He would hope that, left to itself, the slight spark of life which he had communicated would fade; that this thing which had received such imperfect animation would subside into dead matter, and that he might sleep in the belief that the silence of the grave would quench forever the transient existence of the hideous corpse which he had looked upon as the cradle of life.… Swift as light and cheering was the idea that broke in upon me. "I have found it! What terrifies me will terrify others; and I need only describe the specter that had haunted my midnight pillow." On the morrow, I announced that I had thought of the story.

(http://www.answers.com/topic/frankenstein-in-dreams#ixzz2DVnpRZYI)
Verbatim
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:23:54 PM

Neurons: 242,484
Daemon wrote:
What terrified me will terrify others; and I need only describe the specter which had haunted my midnight pillow.

Mary Shelley (1797-1851)

She was certainly gifted with more than a vivid recollection of a nightmare, according to the expanded quote thanks to MTC.
Thought emerged out of those images and somehow outlived them to be formed by the morrow.
Daveski
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:38:18 PM

Neurons: 5,066
Are you sure she didn't spell it 'spectre'?

docendo discimus