The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Jesus Christ Son of God? Options
Teluu
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:47:15 PM

Neurons: 1,412
If Jesus is the only son of God then, how about you nephew of God?

I'm a free minded person!
excaelis
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:47:41 AM

Neurons: 32,652
The son-in-law also rises.

Sanity is not statistical
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:07:36 AM

Neurons: 402,001
Teluu wrote:

Jesus is the only begotten Son of God. (begotten - not created).

I remember, therefore I am.
pedro
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:11:40 AM

Neurons: 60,594
jacobusmaximus wrote:

and look where it begot him

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
Teluu
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:39:34 PM

jacobusmaximus wrote:
Teluu wrote:

BEGOTTEN - NOT CREATED? Gone are the days we have no right to question fales theologies Read this http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Celsus maybe the information will enlighten you. Which woman will get pregnant without a man. In those days there were no artificial insemination (even insemination requirs a man's sperm). I don't know why still some people still believe Jesus was born by the holy ghost. Oh! I forgot there're still dumb and ignorant people living in this world.

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:52:33 PM

Neurons: 384,020
Väinämöinen in Finnish mythology

The first mention of Väinämöinen in literature is from a list of Tavastian gods by Mikael Agricola in 1551. He and other writers described Väinämöinen as the god of chants, songs and poetry. In many stories Väinämöinen was the central figure at the birth of the world. The Finnish national epic, Kalevala tells of his birth in the creation story in its opening sections. This myth displays elements of creation from chaos and from a cosmic egg, as well as earth diver creation.

At first there were only primal waters and Sky. But Sky also had a daughter named Ilmatar. One day, seeking a resting place Ilmatar descended to the waters. There she swam and floated for 700 years until she noticed a beautiful bird also searching for a resting place. Ilmatar raised her knee towards the bird so it could land, which it did. The bird then laid six eggs made of gold and one made of iron. As the bird incubated her eggs Ilmatar's knee grew warmer and warmer until finally she was burned by the heat and reacted by jerking her leg. This motion dislodged the eggs, which then fell and shattered in the waters. Land was formed from the lower part of one of the eggshells while sky formed from the top. The egg whites turned into the moon and stars, and the yolk became the sun.

Ilmatar spent another few hundred years floating in the waters, admiring the results of these broken eggs until she could not resist the urge growing inside her to continue creation. Her foot prints became pools for fish and simply by pointing she created contours in the land. In this way she made all that is. Then one day she gave birth to Väinämöinen, the first man, whose father was the sea. Väinämöinen swam off until he found land, but the land was barren so he asked the Great Bear in the sky for help. A boy carrying seeds was sent down to him, and this boy spread flora across the land.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
HWNN1961
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:09:17 PM

Neurons: 9,763
pedro wrote:
jacobusmaximus wrote:

Tsk, tsk Pedro!

After all, life's a piece of s**t, when you look at it!

So,

Always look on the bright side of life! (From Life of Brian).

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong". (Knight's Oath, Kingdom of Heaven)
Daveski
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:14:58 PM

Neurons: 5,066
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:29:08 PM

Neurons: 384,020
I can't but say, after reading al-Qur'an and Bhagavad Gîtâ,
that there is no better religion in the world than any other.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Daveski
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:32:14 PM

Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:

It's time humanity waved goodbye to organised religion & moved on with our lives. We need to evolve. We are only 200,000 years old as a species. If we can't move on we are genuinely doomed.

docendo discimus
Truthseeker
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:45:48 PM

Neurons: 820
Daveski wrote:
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:

It's time humanity waved goodbye to organised religion & moved on with our lives. We need to evolve. We are only 200,000 years old as a species. If we can't move on we are genuinely doomed.

Good idea. Now, if you really want to get your message out, try posting it in an Iranian newspaper in the form of a Muhammad cartoon.

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. Leo Tolstoy
Daveski
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 7:55:18 AM

Truthseeker wrote:

Good idea. Now, if you really want to get your message out, try posting it in an Iranian newspaper in the form of a Muhammad cartoon.

LOL! Do you think it would go down well? Anxious

docendo discimus
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:00:44 AM

Do you think any Iranian newspaper would publish it?

jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:02:12 AM

pedro wrote:
jacobusmaximus wrote:

You obviously do not know where it got him Pedro. It got him to Glory. I hope you will see him there but it doesn't sound much like at at the moment.

jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:04:48 AM

Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Väinämöinen in Finnish mythology

The first mention of Väinämöinen in literature is from a list of Tavastian gods by Mikael Agricola in 1551. He and other writers described Väinämöinen as the god of chants, songs and poetry. In many stories Väinämöinen was the central figure at the birth of the world. The Finnish national epic, Kalevala tells of his birth in the creation story in its opening sections. This myth displays elements of creation from chaos and from a cosmic egg, as well as earth diver creation.

At first there were only primal waters and Sky. But Sky also had a daughter named Ilmatar. One day, seeking a resting place Ilmatar descended to the waters. There she swam and floated for 700 years until she noticed a beautiful bird also searching for a resting place. Ilmatar raised her knee towards the bird so it could land, which it did. The bird then laid six eggs made of gold and one made of iron. As the bird incubated her eggs Ilmatar's knee grew warmer and warmer until finally she was burned by the heat and reacted by jerking her leg. This motion dislodged the eggs, which then fell and shattered in the waters. Land was formed from the lower part of one of the eggshells while sky formed from the top. The egg whites turned into the moon and stars, and the yolk became the sun.

Ilmatar spent another few hundred years floating in the waters, admiring the results of these broken eggs until she could not resist the urge growing inside her to continue creation. Her foot prints became pools for fish and simply by pointing she created contours in the land. In this way she made all that is. Then one day she gave birth to Väinämöinen, the first man, whose father was the sea. Väinämöinen swam off until he found land, but the land was barren so he asked the Great Bear in the sky for help. A boy carrying seeds was sent down to him, and this boy spread flora across the land.

Very interesting JJ. Thank you for sharing.

jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:12:20 AM

Truthseeker wrote:
Daveski wrote:
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:

Man largely gave up on organised religion a long time ago. Many of the mainstrean Churches are broad-based and allow for independent adherence to faith in Jesus. This is on the basis that a believer's relationship with the Saviour is a personal one - that Jesus died for me. Yes there are Churches that like to control a person's every thought, but I am thankful to God that I am not a member of such a one.

jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 11:35:18 AM

Teluu wrote:
jacobusmaximus wrote:
Teluu wrote:

BEGOTTEN - NOT CREATED? Gone are the days we have no right to question fales theologies Read this http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Celsus maybe the information will enlighten you. Which woman will get pregnant without a man. In those days there were no artificial insemination (even insemination requirs a man's sperm). I don't know why still some people still believe Jesus was born by the holy ghost. Oh! I forgot there're still dumb and ignorant people living in this world.

There never was a time when man had no right to question theologies of any kind. At least not in my part of the world. And of course you don't know why some people still believe in the action of the Holy Spirit upon Mary the Mother of Jesus. You have never given it any thought, that's why. You can't understand it so you reject it as dumb and stupid like those who do. Well I don't understand it either, but I believe it because Jesus confirmed it, and I believe in Jesus. I just want to say, Teluu, that I don't think you are dumb and stupid, even though you think I am.

Blooper
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 8:03:13 PM

Neurons: 2,292
I name my new-born daughter "Maryam" /Mariamme/ (Maria/Mary) after Jesus mother's name.

"Wherever ye are, death will find you out, even if ye are in towers built up strong and high!" (An-Nisa':78)
Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 8:38:55 PM

Neurons: 39,933
Wonderful news blooper of your new beautiful baby girl, big cuddles to you both OXOX

Congratulations, and you have chosen a lovely name.

Teluu
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:18:44 PM

In the bible the story of Jesus was told from his birth until 12 years of age, and in no where in the bible he was mentioned from his age of 13 to 29 until the age of 30 when he re-appeared. So we don't know 17 of his 33 years. That's more years than we could know. What can one remember about this man when the bible was written 80 years after his dead. Even the third and final installment of Pope Benedict's biography of Jesus published on Wednesday, stress the importance of the Christian belief in the virgin birth, that Jesus was not conceived through sexual intercourse but through the Holy Spirit, but debunks several Christian traditions, including the year of Jesus' birth, which the Pope argues was miscalculated by a monk. Another sacred cow he tackles is the presence of animals at the birth in a stable in Bethlehem. He argues there is no evidence in the Gospel for that, but says images of oxen and donkeys have become such a staple part of the Nativity that they are now accepted. If we don't the facts lets be frank to ourselves and tell the truth and not to misled people about Jesus. What else is miscalculated and written in the bible?

twinsonic
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 12:43:47 AM

Neurons: 1,322
jacobusmaximus wrote:
Teluu wrote:

But, he was created. In fact, he was the only direct creation by God, according to the Bible. I am not a Christian, but have studied the scriptures, and "The Word was with God" in the beginning, and helped create all other things. All other, as in not The Word, which was created by God. Jesus was his father's helpmeet, or co-creator.

As for "begotten," that word was used to show Jesus had a different relationship with the father from all of those who considered him their father. Isaac was Abraham's "only begotten son," yet we know he already had a son by a different mother. Isaac shared a special relationship with his father that his half-brother did not have.
almostfreebird
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 3:47:03 AM

Neurons: 7,024

In the beginning, God was gods.

quote:
The Hebrew word, translated here as God, is "Elohim" and that
is a plural form which would ordinarily (if tradition were defied) be
translated "gods."
It is possible that in the very earliest traditions on
which the Bible is based, the creation was indeed the work of a
plurality of gods.
The firmly monotheistic Biblical writers would carefully
have eliminated such polytheism,
but could not perhaps do anything
with the firmly ingrained term "Elohim."
It was too familiar to change.

Some hints of polytheism seem to have survived the editing.
Thus, after the first created man disobeys God's injunction not to eat of the tree of knowledge, God is quoted as saying:

Genesis 3:22. . . . Behold, the man is become as one of us, to
know good and evil.. .
Then, too, still later, when God is concerned over mankind's arrogance
in attempting to build a tower that would reach to heaven,
He is quoted as saying:

Genesis 11:7. Go to, let us go down, and there confound their
language . . .

It is possible to argue that this is not true evidence of early polytheism.

God might be viewed as using the royal "we"; or as speaking
to an angelic audience; or even, in the Christian view, as speaking in
the persons of the Trinity.

Nevertheless, as far as we know the history of religion outside the
Bible, early beliefs were always polytheistic and monotheism was a
late development in the history of ideas. (Asimov's Guide to the Bible - The Old Testament by Isaac Asimov)

Daveski
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 7:28:07 AM

almostfreebird wrote:

In the beginning, God was gods.

quote:
The Hebrew word, translated here as God, is "Elohim" and that
is a plural form which would ordinarily (if tradition were defied) be
translated "gods."
It is possible that in the very earliest traditions on
which the Bible is based, the creation was indeed the work of a
plurality of gods.
The firmly monotheistic Biblical writers would carefully
have eliminated such polytheism,
but could not perhaps do anything
with the firmly ingrained term "Elohim."
It was too familiar to change.

Some hints of polytheism seem to have survived the editing.
Thus, after the first created man disobeys God's injunction not to eat of the tree of knowledge, God is quoted as saying:

Genesis 3:22. . . . Behold, the man is become as one of us, to
know good and evil.. .
Then, too, still later, when God is concerned over mankind's arrogance
in attempting to build a tower that would reach to heaven,
He is quoted as saying:

Genesis 11:7. Go to, let us go down, and there confound their
language . . .

It is possible to argue that this is not true evidence of early polytheism.

God might be viewed as using the royal "we"; or as speaking
to an angelic audience; or even, in the Christian view, as speaking in
the persons of the Trinity.

Nevertheless, as far as we know the history of religion outside the
Bible, early beliefs were always polytheistic and monotheism was a
late development in the history of ideas. (Asimov's Guide to the Bible - The Old Testament by Isaac Asimov)

I always thought that 'Elohiim' was a feminine singular word for god with a masculine pluralisation. Which is something that cannot really be translated directly into English. Cabbalists have a lot to say about why this word was used in Hebrew scriptures. They claim that there are 10 names used for god used on the Etz Chayiim. I don't know whether that is also counting the 72 names of god in the Schemhamphoresh which I think are mentioned in the Sefer Yetsirah.

docendo discimus
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 12:37:59 PM

Blooper wrote:
I name my new-born daughter "Maryam" /Mariamme/ (Maria/Mary) after Jesus mother's name.

Many congratulations, Blooper, and every blessing.

Daveski
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 12:49:08 PM

Teluu wrote:
Another sacred cow he tackles is the presence of animals at the birth in a stable in Bethlehem. He argues there is no evidence in the Gospel for that, but says images of oxen and donkeys have become such a staple part of the Nativity that they are now accepted. If we don't the facts lets be frank to ourselves and tell the truth and not to misled people about Jesus. What else is miscalculated and written in the bible?

There is a Zoroastrian ritual held on the winter solstice that pre-dates Christianity & in which a virgin woman is carried by a donkey accompanied by her 'husband'. The group are refused a place at several houses & the woman gives birth in a stable. Three priests then present three gifts representing light, fire & darkness. The virgin woman is supposedly the Earth-mother giving birth to a re-born 'Sun' on the winter solstice (the Sun is at its lowest point), the priests & the three gifts are similar to the Hindu/Buddhist 'three gunas' or three primal forces of creation which are apparently also re-born with the new year's Sun. The 'houses' the woman, donkey & man are denied entry to are the 'houses' of the zodiac the Sun passes through as it heads to its lowest point on the winter solstice.

Does any of this sound familiar?

docendo discimus
Teluu
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 2:59:26 PM

Since various cultural have different view of religion means there is something wrong with religion. In science for example, you know you're progressing but religion doesn't. Religion push people apart as science brings facts and can solve some and not all the world's problems, but religion cannot solve any of the world's problems. The bottom line it's human evolution and not creation.

Daveski
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 3:36:32 PM

Teluu wrote:
Since various cultural have different view of religion means there is something wrong with religion.

Religions are midway between the human unconscious & the conscious self. At an instinctive or intuitive chthonic level they may have some genuine insight into the human condition & our relationship to our environment. Unfortunately we have moved too quickly as a species & these 'tribalisms' are not necessary any more.

They probably originally developed culturally to cement tribal groups & create an identity & loyalty within a specific group of hunter-gathering humans. This was in itself almost certainly an evolutionary biosurvival strategy. They have become so divisive now that they are in effect redundant.

Teluu wrote:
In science for example, you no you're progressing but religion doesn't. Religion push people apart as science brings facts and can solve some and not all the world's problems, but religion cannot solve any of the world's problems. The bottom line it's human evolution and not creation.

Religion won't solve anything, it never has. It is a control system, that's all. National Socialism was a religion.

docendo discimus
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 4:55:08 AM

twinsonic wrote:
jacobusmaximus wrote:
Teluu wrote:

But, he was created. In fact, he was the only direct creation by God, according to the Bible. I am not a Christian, but have studied the scriptures, and "The Word was with God" in the beginning, and helped create all other things. All other, as in not The Word, which was created by God. Jesus was his father's helpmeet, or co-creator.

As for "begotten," that word was used to show Jesus had a different relationship with the father from all of those who considered him their father. Isaac was Abraham's "only begotten son," yet we know he already had a son by a different mother. Isaac shared a special relationship with his father that his half-brother did not have.

You tell us you have studied the scriptures, twinsonic, but it seems to me that you have studied a Bible - the Catholic Douay Rheims bible, which is, I think, the only version of the Bible to use the word 'begotten' in relation to Abraham's son Isaac. Not that it is wrong in this respect, for Isaac was indeed begotten by Abraham (through the work of the Holy Spirit of God), and at the time of Abraham's testing Isaac was Abraham's only son as Ishmael was lost to Abraham, along with his mother Hagar, at the insistance of the jealous Sarah. Anyway, I suggest that the Douay Rheims Bible, including as it does the Apochryphal books, should not be relied upon as the infallable word of God.

Read again the word of God at John 1:1,2 -
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning.

The beginning means exactly what it says - before anything else was. Before light was, even before the world existed in its formless, dark mass. Before anything was created. Before anything was created Jesus was with God. Indeed Jesus was God. Jesus existed with God the Father and God the Holy Spirit in the beginning. In time, God the Son came into the world as a man, in the flesh. This was brought about by the work of God the Holy Spirit upon Mary, the mother of Jesus. A ridiculous notion? Man has thought that from the time of Jesus' birth. People laughed at the idea in the same way Abraham and Sarah laughed at God's announcement that Isaac would be born to them at their great age (in their late nineties).

The very idea that the Holy Spirit of God could, or would, make a virgin pregnant was repugnat to many scholars, and fantastical to most. So a man, Arius by name, made it easy for people to believe. He invented a plausible story that Jesus was actually part of God's creation. Arianism, as the doctrine was known, caught on, and many people believe in it today. It was even given credence by the Church fathers for a time, until they concluded it was a heretical teaching and a Synod denounced it in 321. Arius persisted and his doctrine was further tested but rejected by the First Council of Nicea in 325. Some people, those whose faith would not allow for the omnipotence of God, clung to the heresy. Even the Church gave Arius another hearing and re-examined his doctrine but found it laking. Finally the Church took the step, at the Council of Constantinople in 381, of posthumouisly excommunicating Arius in 381. The notion that Jesus was created fell on stony ground a long time ago.

Truthseeker
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 9:32:05 AM

Neurons: 820
Daveski wrote:

Religion won't solve anything, it never has. It is a control system, that's all. National Socialism was a religion.

It still is.

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. Leo Tolstoy
Daveski
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 9:52:09 AM

Truthseeker wrote:
Daveski wrote:

It still is.

Yes, I agree. In all its guises ...

docendo discimus
leonAzul
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 10:03:20 AM

Neurons: 26,372
Daveski wrote:
National Socialism was a religion.

That's a rather broad definition of religion, don't you think?

Or don't you?

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
leonAzul
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 10:08:09 AM

Neurons: 26,372
I am rather astounded that with all the scriptural evidence that Jesus himself claimed to be "The Son of Man" that anyone with two neurons communicating with each other would claim that he is the "Son of God."

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Daveski
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 10:44:20 AM

leonAzul wrote:
Daveski wrote:

Or don't you?

It appears that I am the one 'thinking' here. National Socialism drew heavily from mythology, was a cult, was a cult of a personality leader, a leader who often claimed divine inspiration, it believed in world domination - cultural or otherwise, had its own scripture ~ 'Mein Kampf'; written by its own 'prophet', had millions of fanatical followers, many who would willingly die to further its cause, had its own symbolism & was a self-contained belief system in its own right.

I reckon that defines it as a religion.

docendo discimus
Daveski
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 10:46:59 AM

leonAzul wrote:
Daveski wrote:

Or don't you?

It appears that I am the one 'thinking' here. National Socialism drew heavily from mythology, was a cult, was a cult of a personality leader (worshipped by millions), a leader who often claimed divine inspiration, it believed in world domination - cultural or otherwise, had its own scripture ~ 'Mein Kampf'; written by its own 'prophet', had millions of fanatical followers, many who would willingly die to further its cause, had its own symbolism & was a self-contained belief system in its own right.

I reckon that both defines & qualifies it as a religion.

docendo discimus
Daveski
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 11:00:20 AM

leonAzul wrote:
I am rather astounded that with all the scriptural evidence that Jesus himself claimed to be "The Son of Man" that anyone with two neurons communicating with each other would claim that he is the "Son of God."

It's probably more a matter of semantics, semiotics, interpretation or translation as to why that particular phrase was used.

docendo discimus