The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Energy Drinks Implicated in Deaths Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:37:00 AM

Neurons: 88,887
Energy Drinks Implicated in Deaths

In the past decade, highly caffeinated energy drinks have become increasingly popular, especially among young people, but mounting reports of deaths following consumption of Monster Beverage Corp's energy drinks—including that of a 14-year-old girl with a heart condition—have now prompted a US Food and Drug Administration investigation into the brand. If the investigation does link the energy drinks to the reported deaths, the entire US energy drink industry could find itself subject to tighter regulation. More...
uuaschbaer
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:44:10 AM

Neurons: 6,180
If she died of caffeine, and it wasn't an allergic reaction or something like that, then it's really quite remarkable. Means that a few cups of coffee on a day might leave you bereft of life. She'd have probably set a record for lowest overdose (in humans who are not babies).

However this is a story about a mass-produced consumable product targeted at young people which seemingly left a young girl dead, so it'll be all over the interwebs. I wonder when journalists will ever start telling people what's important to know, you know, do what people pay them for rather than what makes more people mistakenly pay them.
pedro
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:42:27 AM

Neurons: 63,022
For an average person it's about 100 cups of coffee before you have much chance of dying. You might have some of the following symptoms though;
1.restlessness
2.nervousness
3.excitement
4.insomnia
5.flushed face
6.diuresis
7.gastrointestinal disturbance
8.muscle twitching
9.rambling flow of thought and speech
10.tachycardia or cardiac arrhythmia
11.periods of inexhaustibility
12.psychomotor agitation

I'll stick to my three a day
thar
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 7:29:52 AM

Neurons: 86,423
she died of a heart attack - she had a disorder that caused weak blood vessels. Whether she knew she should avoid high-caffeine drinks is not stated in what I read.

I am mixed about this sort of thing. On the one hand, consumers need to take responsibility for their own actions. Just because something is on sale does not mean you can blindly drink loads of it and assume there will be no affects. (the MacDonalds hot coffee syndrome) But she does not seem to have used excessively. Just not safely for a girl with her condition.

but, food and drinks manufacturers do tend to put stuff out there for profit, not the greater good of the population. High caffeine is a questionable product. The food companies need to act responsibly, and be controlled.

Regulation is good, but understanding that food and drinks are profit making industries, not a public service to look after you without any responsibility on your part - that is always going to be the key, I think!