The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Self-help books Options
merve
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 11:47:11 AM

Neurons: 209
Hi,
I am reading The road less travelled by Scott Peck. Not a bad book but it didn't inspire me much. What is the best self-help book have you ever read?
Thank you,
Merve

I am a part of all that I have met.
SilvatungdaViel
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 2:07:18 PM

Neurons: 733
I don't have one particular book but hope you find the following link inspiring and helps put you on the right track:

http://mythsdreamssymbols.com/

'DON'T TREAD ON ME'
TL Hobs
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 2:08:37 PM

Neurons: 5,443

Illusions : The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach

"When you don't know where you are going, you have to stick together just in case someone gets there." - Ken Kesey
almostfreebird
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 2:18:30 PM

Neurons: 7,024

WHAT IS MAN?

By Samuel Langhorne Clemens

uuaschbaer
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 2:30:47 PM

Neurons: 6,180
Stephen Fry's take on self help books (transcribed from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLbd9cDZ18Y#t=1h47m):

How To Be Happy, Guaranteed

You have bought this book, this shows you have an appalling problem: you think happiness is something that can be learned. The rest of these are blank pages––write a diary, write anything you like, write poems, and then you will be happy.

[BLANK PAGE]

[BLANK PAGE]

[BLANK PAGE]

etc.

I don't think he's a fan of self-help books. Personally, I think: if it helps, then it's great.

maillady
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 5:49:38 PM

Neurons: 3,375
The Bible
merve
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2012 2:04:07 AM

Thank you all for your recomendations.
Maillady, Thank you for the tip but, I don't think any divine book can be a self help book by itself.

Merve

excaelis
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2012 2:45:35 AM

Neurons: 32,652
merve wrote:
Maillady, Thank you for the tip but, I don't think any divine book can be a self help book by itself.

Merve

Unless we all carry The Divine within us !

As a comedian pointed out the whole idea of a self-help book is dysfunctional. You're not actually helping yourself ; the guy who wrote the book is.

Sanity is not statistical
jeans&sneakers
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2012 3:57:52 AM

Neurons: 8,405

excaelis wrote:

As a comedian pointed out the whole idea of a self-help book is dysfunctional. You're not actually helping yourself ; the guy who wrote the book is.

Definitely :))

Others don't think good of them but I actually like self-help books (or inspirational books. They're the same, right? Or almost). I don't own one but I used to go to bookstores and pick up one self-help/inspirational book everytime and read a few bits from it. It does help when I'm feeling pessimistic sometimes.

One of my colleagues has one. The book includes some things that we already know but not bad to be reminded of them :))
I've read some parts of it. It may be elementary but it's fun reading.

Better Than Chocolate: 50 Proven Ways to Feel Happier

At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet. Plato
asmo
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 1:11:09 AM

Neurons: 9
I feel I have been struggling most my life.. trying to find Purpose, and come to terms with my Faith... I never thought I really have ever been connected with the world around me... I just never seem to have been able to understand humanity, and why we do the things we to to each others... It is a crazy world.. This book, (It is an amazing story on how I really stumbled across the website.. you wouldn't probably believe it if I tried to explain it, but then again a pictures speak a thousand words... ) I was once at a point where I had again "hit bottom"... This book put everything into perspective...http://thephoenixandthedove.blogspot.com/ The Phoenix and the Dove... by Barbara... (jessica's mom). Each Day is a Gift.. I pray to use each day I am given and try to pass along all that is important to me.. God Bless.
excaelis
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 1:40:00 AM

Welcome to the forum, asmo. I'm glad you found something that helped you. The author's full name is Barbara Reynolds. At a quick glance it seems an interesting book.

I'm interested in the struggle to come to terms with faith. It always strikes me that if one's declared faith is so at odds with one's inner compass, then it may be time to seek a ' faith ' that is more compatible. Just the idle thoughts of an idle fellow. I've not ( so far ) found one ' faith ' that works for me, so I've decided to follow my own magpie theology and try to figure it all out for myself. Managing expectations is a major issue. So far so good, except it gets a little worldweary occasionally !

asmo
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 1:49:52 AM

I would add an image... but am having at times I am computer challenged.... can't seem to copy the image and post it here... I agree... It is a heavy issue... Personally, I have found that in my "life lesson book"... the hardest lessons- are the ones I have learned the most from... and give me the strength to keep on ... keepin on'/Users/lisaasmo/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2012/Oct 5, 2012/Phoenix and Dove - cover.jpg
excaelis
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 1:59:11 AM

I'm not great with the technicals either. JJ, Leon, thar or any of the other technorati would explain it way better than I.

asmo
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 2:02:01 AM

[quote=asmo]I would add an image... but am having at times I am computer challenged.... can't seem to copy the image and post it here... I agree... It is a heavy issue... Personally, I have found that in my "life lesson book"... the hardest lessons- are the ones I have learned the most from... and give me the strength to keep on ... keepin on'
FounDit
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 10:00:51 AM

Neurons: 44,440

I am assuming this is the cover you wanted to post, which is your avatar. Most times, you can right click on the image, then left click "copy image location". Then in your post, click the image icon (looks like a mountain with sun rising over it) and paste between the code brackets
Code:
[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41kwT7nSLlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/img]

Quote:
"I'm interested in the struggle to come to terms with faith. It always strikes me that if one's declared faith is so at odds with one's inner compass, then it may be time to seek a ' faith ' that is more compatible. Just the idle thoughts of an idle fellow. I've not ( so far ) found one ' faith ' that works for me, so I've decided to follow my own magpie theology and try to figure it all out for myself."

I rather like this. It is what I did, and why I follow my own philosophy, distilled from all that I have absorbed.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
leonAzul
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 10:29:22 AM

Neurons: 25,817
excaelis wrote:
merve wrote:

Merve

Unless we all carry The Divine within us !

More to the point, you are helping the guy who wrote the book by paying for it. Whistle

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
merve
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 2:11:19 PM

"The book includes some things that we already know but not bad to be reminded of them" I agree with you Jeans. Thank you asmo. I am curious already.
excaelis, unless we seperate what is the Divine and what is our ego. Religons are so united with history that it's really difficult to find the Divine in them. Mystic parts of them are still quite satisfying tough.

shahidsaif
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 11:13:46 AM

Neurons: 12
The Holy QuranBoo hoo!
Daveski
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:49:37 PM

Neurons: 5,066
The Brothers Karamazov ~ Fyodor Dostoyevsky

docendo discimus
paulsmith123
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 6:58:09 AM

Neurons: 3
As per my opinion “No One's Business: A Migrant's Barefoot Journey to Millions” would be the best for you. It is written by an award winning Author “Vadim Turnacu”. He describes all the important things those could be helpful for business progress. For more info you can find it on Amazon.