The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

How can I create another subfolder and then move all of my threads exist into? Options
A cooperator
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 5:02:20 AM

Neurons: 7,815
Hi,

I wanted to move all my existed threads to another folder in order to not want my new threads to be placed at the same folder "subscriptions'"
This feature would be quite useful if available.

Thanks in advance,

Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 5:24:55 PM

Neurons: 265,027
There are no personal folders here, how very esteemed a member you might be.
You can crab all your threads into your own PC, though.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
thar
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 5:40:07 PM

Neurons: 60,830
crab, JJ?

I have a lovely vision of a crab scutting out of his computer into the internet, grabbing a thread in its pincers and quickly scuttling away back under a rock. Sort of like search spiders but bigger and tougher and with big claws to protect what they pinch. Not sure what it signifies when the tide comes in, though. Think

that thread is mine - do you really want to argue with me?
leonAzul
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 11:07:46 PM

Neurons: 25,156
Reality is not so pliable. Think

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
A cooperator
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 10:08:01 PM

leonAzul wrote:

LeonAzul, this forum will really still need to be developed. However, I hadn't seen any development since I posted this thread of mine.
Another major issue let me post here again asking for development for this site.
I really found an issue searching, and finding my old threads posted, saved in my subscription folder as watched threads. It is really too hard job to be done, in particular if I don't remember the thread title, but I only guess the date when it was created, such as tow months ago, years ago etc.

If they are some storing options(such by name, date, etc) for threads created, and saved in the subscription folder, it would be much easier to find the thread title? Think
If I had had the thread title to be searched, then I would have googled it Pray , and I would have found it. I.e. no need to look up in my subscription folder.

Moreover, imaging I forgot to click on 'watching this thread'(Watch this topic and receive notifications of activity via e-mail?) while posting it, which means I will not be notified to new replies to it via my email, nor will it be listed/saved into my subscription folder. So, if I want to have it after some time passed when it is no longer watched in the forum, how could I do to get to it?

Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
Mike-KS
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 10:42:10 AM

You can search for all your posts using "Forum Search". This way you can see all your posts. Will it work for you?
leonAzul
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 5:28:12 PM

A cooperator wrote:
leonAzul wrote:

LeonAzul, this forum will really still need to be developed. However, I hadn't seen any development since I posted this thread of mine.
Another major issue let me post here again asking for development for this site.
I really found an issue searching, and finding my old threads posted, saved in my subscription folder as watched threads. It is really too hard job to be done, in particular if I don't remember the thread title, but I only guess the date when it was created, such as tow months ago, years ago etc.

If they are some storing options(such by name, date, etc) for threads created, and saved in the subscription folder, it would be much easier to find the thread title? Think
If I had had the thread title to be searched, then I would have googled it Pray , and I would have found it. I.e. no need to look up in my subscription folder.

Moreover, imaging I forgot to click on 'watching this thread'(Watch this topic and receive notifications of activity via e-mail?) while posting it, which means I will not be notified to new replies to it via my email, nor will it be listed/saved into my subscription folder. So, if I want to have it after some time passed when it is no longer watched in the forum, how could I do to get to it?

You are quite right, development of this discussion forum has largely consisted of adding new games and contests (without the proverbial toaster) instead of useful features or repairing broken functions. It exists primarily to attract attention and encourage subscriptions to their dictionary and language services.

The best suggestion I can make is to subscribe to every thread you start or reply to, with the option to receive an email message for every response in the thread. When you receive those messages, they can easily be sorted by date or thread topic. The messages also include links to the particular response so you will never have to search for the thread, unless it gets erased for lack of activity.

Another thing you can do is to always compose your messages in a text file, save it on your own hard drive in whatever folder structure that makes sense to you, and then copy-paste into the text entry window here on the forum. This way you have the exact text to search for if you loose track of the thread.

A cooperator
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 7:27:09 PM

leonAzul wrote:
A cooperator wrote:
[quote=leonAzul]Reality is not so pliable. Think

Another thing you can do is to always compose your messages in a text file, save it on your own hard drive in whatever folder structure that makes sense to you, and then copy-paste into the text entry window here on the forum. This way you have the exact text to search for if you loose track of the thread.

Thanks a lot, LeonAzul
This is a quite pretty way. Searching, and finding my old threads posted, saved in my subscription folder would be really too hard job to be done, in particular if I don't remember the thread title.
I see other forums having a feature of creating sub-folders, and moving whatever threads I want to archive under one category. For instance, I would create a sub-folder named with 'conditional sentences' to include all the threads about conditional topics. Also, another folder named with 'articles', to include all articles threads. Also, sub-folder name with 'tenses'.... With this way, I think, I will find my threads quickly. We are humans, and we can forget.

leonAzul
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 8:33:12 PM

A cooperator wrote:
This is a quite pretty way. Searching, and finding my old threads posted, saved in my subscription folder would be really too hard job to be done, in particular if I don't remember the thread title.
I see other forums having a feature of creating sub-folders, and moving whatever threads I want to archive under one category.

The people who run this site are not the developers of the software that makes the forum work. Early on they made the choice to use a particular software package that has not not been very well maintained over the years. At the time it was more advanced than others, but it has not kept pace with other open source or proprietary software.

Originally it promised to do most of what you are asking for, but that was never put into practice.

I should also bring something else to your attention. If you value the discussion in a particular thread, please be sure to use the thread option to "print thread" and save that to an HTML or PDF file on your own hard drive. That thread will eventually be deleted for lack of activity. I have lost some very valuable information because I was not aware of this.

leonAzul
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 8:55:11 PM

A cooperator wrote:
Searching, and finding my old threads posted, saved in my subscription folder would be really too hard job to be done, in particular if I don't remember the thread title.

This is one of two things that annoy me in particular, the redress of which I have iteratively begged and pleaded to no avail, to wit, the facilitation of sorting of the subscription list page, and the proper behavior of the RSS functionality.

Either one of these repairs to the broken forum software would greatly improve conversation on this site.

Pray

A cooperator
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 6:11:53 PM

leonAzul wrote:

I should also bring something else to your attention. If you value the discussion in a particular thread, please be sure to use the thread option to "print thread" and save that to an HTML or PDF file on your own hard drive. That thread will eventually be deleted for lack of activity. I have lost some very valuable information because I was not aware of this.

Thanks a lot for reminding me of that.
I hope that the time hasn't yet passed. I really haven't printed any threads of mine so far since about 2012. Some of them haven't been activated for over than 5 years.
But you think threads deleted due to lack of activity will be deleted permanently or they will only be no longer saved in my subscription folder? I.e. if I have clicked on the tracking link of a thread of mine sent to my email associated with my account, then I would still have an access to my thread not being activated, and deleted for that reason.

leonAzul
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 3:35:21 AM

A cooperator wrote:

But you think threads deleted due to lack of activity will be deleted permanently or they will only be no longer saved in my subscription folder? I.e. if I have clicked on the tracking link of a thread of mine sent to my email associated with my account, then I would still have an access to my thread not being activated, and deleted for that reason.

The entire thread and all the messages in it are deleted. Any email messages you have received are unaltered, of course, but the affected threads listed on one's subscription page will suddenly have titles only with no links to the most recent messages.