The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Star Trek Premiers (1966) Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, September 8, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 87,066
Star Trek Premiers (1966)

Though the original Star Trek series was cancelled in its third season, the groundbreaking show—in which William Shatner's memorable Captain Kirk leads the crew of the starship Enterprise—developed a cult following of "Trekkies." Over the next four decades, the influential science-fiction franchise spawned five more Star Trek series, more than 10 feature films, and myriad conventions. Its motto, "to boldly go where no man has gone before," may have been partially copied from what source? More...
Jimbob
Posted: Saturday, September 8, 2012 9:26:01 AM

Neurons: 486
hi, one of my favourite tv shows, I always liked the phrase "beam me up scotty" apparently it was never spoken in any star trek tv series or films yet is almost a house hold name. lol

KAMRAMNA
Posted: Saturday, September 8, 2012 10:26:11 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong (or just take more points), the perfered term is "trecker(s)" over treckkie(s).
maillady
Posted: Saturday, September 8, 2012 5:23:41 PM

Neurons: 3,375
I had read somewhere that "real" Star Trek followers are called Trekers.
HWNN1961
Posted: Saturday, September 8, 2012 9:27:21 PM

Neurons: 9,763
Jimbob wrote:
hi, one of my favourite tv shows, I always liked the phrase "beam me up scotty" apparently it was never spoken in any star trek tv series or films yet is almost a house hold name. lol

One of my favorite anecdotes from my Basic Training days (ask my family as they roll their eyes when I tell the story for the 1000th time):

We all had to pull guard duty in the barracks after hours. One young man found out the "hard way" that the intercom worked both ways. I was awake since I had next watch. This guy walked up under the intercom and said loudly:

"beam me up, Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here!".

After a moment, came the response:

"Beam your ass down to the Orderly Room and report to the Charge of Quarters".

I thought the unfortunate would crap his pants. I laughed so hard that I nearly cried.
excaelis
Posted: Sunday, September 9, 2012 3:43:43 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Oh for goodness' sake: Trekkers. If you can spell ' nerd ' you should be able to get that. Good grief !
MTC
Posted: Sunday, September 9, 2012 7:56:28 AM

Neurons: 8,606
I especially enjoyed Ricardo Montalban with breasts as "Khan" in "Star Trek II--the Wrath of Khan." One of those magical movie moments you'll never forget.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LzssTELgzQ
Jimbob
Posted: Sunday, September 9, 2012 8:57:21 PM

Neurons: 486
HWNN1961 wrote
One of my favorite anecdotes from my Basic Training days (ask my family as they roll their eyes when I tell the story for the 1000th time):
We all had to pull guard duty in the barracks after hours. One young man found out the "hard way" that the intercom worked both ways. I was awake since I had next watch. This guy walked up under the intercom and said loudly:
"beam me up, Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here!".
After a moment, came the response:
"Beam your ass down to the Orderly Room and report to the Charge of Quarters".
I thought the unfortunate would crap his pants. I laughed so hard that I nearly cried.
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
cool story bro. Probably how the saying gained popularity I've heard that one from time to time "beam me up, Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here!" also without the intelligent life bit, I've heard it been loosely spoken, as in taking an aeroplane flight, a super fast lift in a high rise building, or generally things involving getting high so to speak.