The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

one-on-one Options
dadi5006
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 12:28:00 PM

"Another challenge may arise when a teenager with this syndrome requires significant one-on-one attention." can you please share your ideas about this sentence if you understand clearly.
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 12:50:52 PM

Neurons: 43,875
"One-on-one" means individual attention. A conversation between only two people is one-on-one.

In the sentence you posted, it means the teenager and one other person, probably a counselor or professional helper.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
dadi5006
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 1:48:26 PM

Thanks:) and, just to be clear; a challange starts if this child with syndrome need special help. am I right?
IMcRout
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 1:53:42 PM

Neurons: 485,926
Quote:
... requires significant one-on-one attention...

It means that this teenager needs a lot of individual help.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
excaelis
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 4:54:35 PM

Neurons: 32,652
dadi5006 wrote:
Thanks:) and, just to be clear; a challange starts if this child with syndrome need special help. am I right?

I don't think the challenge starts is quite accurate. In the context of the sentence it ( the need for one-on-one atention ) is one of a series of challenges that arise in dealing with whatever this is.

Sanity is not statistical
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 9:18:13 PM

Neurons: 43,875
dadi5006 wrote:
"Another challenge may arise when a teenager with this syndrome requires significant one-on-one attention." can you please share your ideas about this sentence if you understand clearly.

Sorry I didn't post more on the whole sentence. I thought it was the one-on-one part that was questioned.

Your sentence implies that many challenges or difficulties have already been experienced with a child who has this "syndrome" (whatever it happens to be). So, another challenge may arise when the child is no longer a child, but is a teenager. During the teen years, hormones begin to greatly affect the individual's personality development and growth. Teenage years, therefore, present an additional challenge.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~