The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Often and often afterwards, the beloved Aunt would ask me why I had never told anyone how I was being treated. Children tell... Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,798
Often and often afterwards, the beloved Aunt would ask me why I had never told anyone how I was being treated. Children tell little more than animals, for what comes to them they accept as eternally established.

Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)
MTC
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 5:58:35 AM

Neurons: 8,606
The quotation is from Something of Myself, a biographical essay. Kipling describes being abused as a child while temporarily staying at a home he chillingly calls "The House of Desolation." He had a reprieve when he visited the home of his Aunt and Uncle, "(b)ut on a certain day—one tried to fend off the thought of it—the delicious dream would end, and one would return to the House of Desolation, and for the next two or three mornings there cry on waking up. Hence more punishments and cross-examinations.

Often and often afterwards, the beloved Aunt would ask me why I had never told any one how I was being treated. Children tell little more than animals, for what comes to them they accept as eternally established. Also, badly-treated children have a clear notion of what they are likely to get if they betray the secrets of a prison-house before they are clear of it."

http://www.di2.nu/files/kipling/SomethingOfMyself.html

In describing his individual experience Kipling highlights the impressionability and vulnerability of all children and the intimidation that prevents them from reporting abuse.
maillady
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:05:32 PM

Neurons: 3,375
Also,many children just think that's the way things are.