The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I've been a great deal happier ... since I have given up thinking about what is easy and pleasant, and being discontented... Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,958
I've been a great deal happier ... since I have given up thinking about what is easy and pleasant, and being discontented because I couldn't have my own will. Our life is determined for us—and it makes the mind very free when we give up wishing, and only think of bearing what is laid upon us, and doing what is given us to do.

George Eliot (1819-1880)
abrar
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 12:36:17 AM

Neurons: 150
Life is not determined, we are free to act, choose whatever we want, we are free because we have free will. Just keep in mind whatever one does, will have to face the consequences, which will be the outcome of the act. Not talking about afterlife but in this life.
Don't have to wish make your own world.

I haven't given this privilege to anybody to make me happy or angry.....SADHGURU
Thommy
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 9:40:20 AM

Neurons: 464
The deep dark age is greeting!!!
Random1
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 9:48:29 AM

Neurons: 21
It is like coquetry. I feel Maggie in Mill on the Floss is a little selfish and narcissistic. She is talking to philip, her cousin's boyfriend. Mill on the floss is George Eliot's semi-autobiography.
E3CONCEPTSS
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 10:50:56 AM

Neurons: 3
what is mine before we thought of man
RedStar
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 1:32:41 PM

Neurons: 147
Daemon wrote:
I've been a great deal happier ... since I have given up thinking about what is easy and pleasant, and being discontented because I couldn't have my own will. Our life is determined for us—and it makes the mind very free when we give up wishing, and only think of bearing what is laid upon us, and doing what is given us to do.

George Eliot (1819-1880)

This is EXACTLY what I've been saying all along. Accept what is best for the whole, and let the government determine what those things are. Individualism and one's right to flourish, or to obtain more material things than our neighbor just because we want to is totally against the best interests of the rest of us. That kind of thinking is a waste of resources. As a nation we are finally on the right path. We need to keep moving down it. At some point we will also accept a world order in which we shall have world laws and world limits. If we do not, then our planet is doomed to its own destruction.

"The Capitalists will sell us the rope with which we will hang them." Lenin
rkdian34
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 3:00:13 PM

abrar wrote:
Life is not determined, we are free to act, choose whatever we want, we are free because we have free will. Just keep in mind whatever one does, will have to face the consequences, which will be the outcome of the act. Not talking about afterlife but in this life.
Don't have to wish make your own world.

If a person doesn't know his choices; Does he still have free will?
percivalpecksniff
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 6:00:57 PM

Neurons: 3,404
Yes... he still makes a decision based on what he does know. The law of the land is predicated on the exercise and existence of free will and folk are judged on their choices. One cannot use the argument of a lack of ability to exercise choice. We are held responsible and accountable for our actions.

This nonsense about not having free will does not hold water in a court of law or in life.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. Aristotle
jcbarros
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 6:24:57 PM

Neurons: 9,052
Eliot´s words are simply fatalism. It´s better to eschew the extremes.
Desiree
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 11:20:17 PM

Neurons: 202,964

Those words were said in the nineteenth century,where women had a specific role in society
Not many choices out of the scheme given for women. Thanks God ,things have changed.