The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Our fear of death is like our fear that summer will be short, but when we have had our swing of pleasure, our fill of fruit,... Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 88,887
Our fear of death is like our fear that summer will be short, but when we have had our swing of pleasure, our fill of fruit, and our swelter of heat, we say we have had our day.

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
pedro
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2012 7:38:45 AM

Neurons: 63,022
"Our fear of death is like our fear that summer will be short...."

Except that Summer will come back next year, unlike our bones and dust.
jcbarros
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2012 8:29:06 AM

Neurons: 9,052
Don´t think I would say that anytime.
Jimbob
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2012 9:20:41 AM

Neurons: 486
Journals and Miscellaneous Notebooks : 1854-1861 by Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
Our fear of death is like our fear that summer will be short, but
when we have had our swing of pleasure, our fill of fruit, & our
swelter of heat, we say, we have had our day ; & rest of brain & affection please.
If life was (bad) (up arrow) a disease, (down arrow) then death will be only a varioloid.
````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Statistically wise I don’t like my chances, infact it’s a 100% pass ratio for every individual sooner of later. Nevertheless we are born into a ‘coup de theatre’ and one could argue that the afterlife could be a ‘dramatic surprise’ aswell ! I guess we Learn to live, yet, live to learn as if tomorrow is another day (or short changed !); the journey from one place in time to another, the transition and then the final destination perchance (“we have had our day”), or is there more than one summer surprise?
(skipped from rock to rock) ! I find it difficult to be pessimistic or optimistic. Isn’t this just the rosy subject (NOT). I can just imagine the stampede on various beliefs (lolz) hmm...maybe not ( :/ ). I would just like to mention, that I have only been able to find this quote in the context of a note. Note the causal use of symbols (&/arrows) so in my opinion it shouldn’t be taken to literary. Consider some of Emerson’s other works that have been well thought through and edited and are meaningful within a context. But within the same breath also Journals and notebooks serve a purpose. Emerson’s notable ideas are “Self-reliance, Over-soul (#1234)”