The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz (1646) Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, July 1, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,361
Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz (1646)

Leibniz was a German philosopher and mathematician who greatly expanded the field of calculus. He also perfected the binary number system—the basis for modern computing—and constructed one of the first practical calculators. A jack-of-all-trades, Leibniz worked on mechanical devices, delved into the study of logic, was a historian and lawyer at times, and is considered one of the fathers of geology. In the early 1700s, he became embroiled in a controversy with Isaac Newton over what issue? More...
MTC
Posted: Sunday, July 1, 2012 10:18:42 PM

Neurons: 8,606
Here we have yet another worthy subject which glides by without comment. Leibniz was a man of colossal intellect, one of those precious handful of gifts to mankind who magically appears every millennium or so. His "premonitory thrusts" (see article) anticipating modern ideas is breathtaking, not to mention his independent invention of the Calculus. In my mind Leibniz is the victim of History which has deified Newton, another giant, but still a man with interests and accomplishments though profound, considerably less diverse. Leibniz has been lost in Newton's radiance. To learn more about Leibniz see http://www.gwleibniz.com/

Back to the dearth of comment, I do not mean to criticize my fellow posters. They appear to be mostly engaged in productive ESL tutoring and other subjects "on the other side" of the forum. In my opinion, this "side" of the forum suffers from relative neglect. It deserves more attention. That means more interest from more posters around the world. What about the world's teachers? They could organize online discussions about subjects like Leibniz. Whole classes could be brought in. Perhaps they are offline. Regardless, the world could make better use of the encyclopedia of information TFD makes available.
pedro
Posted: Monday, July 2, 2012 8:19:35 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Couldn't agree more MTC but it was posted on a Sunday when many posters (myself included) disconnect to recharge batteries. I expect that it is, as is often the case alas, the mathematical nature of most of his achievements that deters posters. Aside from the calculus, he contributed to the binary system, determinants and various series summations although he was primarily a philosopher and only secondly a mathematician (unlike Newton). The quarrel over 'invention' of the calculus was unfortunate. Some have seen connections with his monadology (essentially a deterministic cosmology), fractals and chaos theory(unpredictable although deterministic).

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst