The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring Sparks a Riot (1913) Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,964
Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring Sparks a Riot (1913)

The Rite of Spring is a landmark ballet by Russian composer Igor Stravinsky that provoked a riot when it premiered at the Théâtre des Champs-Elysées in Paris. Expecting the demure conventions of classical ballet, the audience was caught off-guard by Stravinsky's dissonant score and Vaslav Nijinsky's violently untraditional choreography depicting fertility rites. Fistfights broke out between detractors and supporters, and chaos ensued. What Disney film popularized the ballet? More...
thar
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 1:42:29 AM

Neurons: 81,226
you can see why they were upset (but rioting - get some perspective, folks!!!)

this is the sort of thing they expected
Les Sylphides

and this is what they got
Stravinsky - danse sacrale, recreation of Nijinsky choreography

I actually like this ballet, pretty much. But I have never really cottoned to Stravinsky, although the man could write good Fench horn parts, and that is always a plus for me, for very selfish reasons Shame on you Shame on you

pedro
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:15:05 AM

Neurons: 63,014
Sorry but apart from the Firebird suite, which was an impressive early opus, most of Stravinsky's efforts turned into cartoon music. He wanted too much to take Paris by storm (which he did) but unfortunately he influenced quite a few other decent musicians who produced their own avant garde flops. Prokofiev wrote one stinker of a symphony I recall. I suppose the idea of escaping Stalinist Russia might have been a factor though.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
thar
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:04:28 AM

Neurons: 81,226
maybe the point about avant garde is not that you like that stuff, but that they were there. Someone has to pusht the boundaries or we are stil knocking two stones together.

to paraphrase
" I don't like his music but I will defend to the death his right to compose it"

It is funny that he was anti-Bolshevik, though, as that music sounds pretty revolutionary and anti-establishment to me! In contrast the people's revolution composer Shostakovich was writing much more conventional stuff!

and, boy, it must have been a strange life to live, from Tsarist Saint Petersburg to France to America and LA in the sixties!