The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Ancient Delicacy: The Thousand-Year-Old Egg Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 73,743
Ancient Delicacy: The Thousand-Year-Old Egg

A traditional Chinese delicacy, the so-called thousand-year-old egg may look and smell ancient but nowadays is actually ready to eat after just a few months. Preparing the dish involves coating a clean egg in an alkaline mixture of ash, lime, and salt to preserve it and then rolling it in rice hulls for storage. Over time, the egg white turns into a dark brown gel and the yolk turns green and develops a strong smell of sulfur and ammonia. How was it supposedly discovered during the Ming Dynasty? More...
GabhSigenod
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 8:27:25 AM

Neurons: 149,736
Reminds me of the deviled eggs stored in the freezer by mistake.

Mise, tá mé lán de dea-fhortún.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 1:31:09 PM

Neurons: 49,587
I always said I loved eggs, no matter which way they were prepared. I've now found one egg dish I do not want to try.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
HWNN1961
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 4:15:44 PM

Neurons: 9,763
C'mon, when you are starving, you'll do things you never ever thought you'd do...like eat old eggs.

Once the famine is over, you can stop pretending it tastes good! Geez!

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong". (Knight's Oath, Kingdom of Heaven)
nomadwa
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 5:09:49 PM

Neurons: 263
Once again, when it comes to foreign culinary culture, the most parochial and arrogant comments come from — surprise, surprise — users living in the US of A. I guess nothing is good enough after deep-fried butter.
HWNN1961
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 6:05:17 PM

In what may be my greatest use of understatement ever:

rotten eggs do not qualify as "cuisine".

I have an adventurous nature and have tried and enjoy sushi, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Italian, Mexican specialties to name a few.

There are some that I've tried and honestly didn't like: tripe, alligator, several types of really stinky cheese.

There are others that I would not try if you held a gun to my head, like the cheese (European, but I can't recall the specific locale) that actually had live maggots in it.

Eating rotten eggs is in this last category...along with eating a birds nest...

I'd say that avoiding cheese with live bugs in it or in this case, rotten eggs makes me not a boor, but proves my sanity.

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong". (Knight's Oath, Kingdom of Heaven)
excaelis
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 10:52:59 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Couldn't be any worse than an Egg McMuffin...

Sanity is not statistical
nomadwa
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:56:25 AM

Neurons: 263
HWNN1961 wrote:

I'd say that avoiding cheese with live bugs in it or in this case, rotten eggs makes me not a boor, but proves my sanity.

If by "sanity" you mean "propensity to be judgmental," or "indulgence in blissful ignorance," then yes, it does prove it.

To call century eggs "rotten eggs", as you unfailingly do, bespeaks a profound arrogance that prevents you from even getting the facts right. (And the supercilious claim to "sanity" is just icing on the cake, which you probably would not hesitate to consume in abundance because it's not "famine food" from some poor country.)

Properly prepared century eggs does not harm the consumer's health in anyway, and its unappetizing odor (distinct from that of true rotten eggs) can be sufficiently mitigated if the chef knows what she is doing. But, of course, they offer no remedy for cultural insensitivity.
HWNN1961
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 10:20:14 AM

If, by forgoing the scintillating prospect of eating maggoty cheese or thousand year old eggs, I am declared by some select few to be culturally insensitive, then:

Guilty as charged.

I wear it as a badge of honor.

(Oh, BTW, I'd also not dig scraps from a dumpster or a trash can...perhaps that is insensitive to the homeless and the poor).

excaelis
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 1:47:34 PM

They're not ' homeless ', you insensitive lout. They're ' urban outdoorsmen '.

Really !

uuaschbaer
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 1:51:15 PM

Neurons: 6,180
"... the yolk becomes a dark green, cream-like substance with a strong odor of sulphur and ammonia, while the white becomes a dark brown, transparent jelly with little flavor."

That's not how you sell a product.

excaelis
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 12:07:23 AM

Mmmm, sulphur...