The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Y chromosome. Options
Dubai
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:03:27 AM

Neurons: 19,319
Dear Colleagues.
I read an article this morning on the science page of the news paper"The Guardian"
Nature deals with some unkind blow, but non is more hurtful to the pride of man than the looming demise of the Y Chromosome.
When it comes to sex chromosomes, women are XX and men are XY.But the modern male chromosome is not what it used to be. Over million of years of evolution, the biological keeper of all things male has withered and shrunk. So dramatic has been the decline, that one day the Y chromosome might vanish completely.

Does it mean that once the Y chromosome vanish there be nor more birth of male or does it else mean?
Could you kindly explain if possible.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:27:51 AM

Neurons: 321,892
I can imagine the world of only women but I can't imagine the future of that world.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
thar
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:31:54 AM

Neurons: 65,303
Yes. that is what they are saying. There is scientific speculation that the Y chromosome will continue to shrink, until it is no longer viable and hence (given obligate sexual reproduction) the end of the human race. But these things usually work themselves out.

but to illustrate (unless the article already did)- you can see what he is describing here...

big strong X (1000 genes), weedy little Y (80 genes)...Going, going.....Whistle
srirr
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:43:37 AM

Neurons: 176,970
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
I can imagine the world of only women but I can't imagine the future of that world.

The world then perhaps will have more Dollys.
(Remember Dolly, the sheep?)

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
jcbarros
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:00:33 AM

Neurons: 9,052
Maybe it´s about time for the human race to disappear.
Christine
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:33:50 AM

Neurons: 15,842
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/feb/22/male-pride-x-chromosome-reprieve

Rumours of the imminent demise of the human Y chromosome may have been exaggerated, claim scientists

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

nomadwa
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:08:14 PM

Neurons: 263
As an unrepentant male homosexual who has an intimate familiarity with the many wonders that the Y chromosome is capable of producing, I find the content of this article very depressing and its language slightly offensive.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:36:35 PM

Neurons: 321,892
srirr wrote:

The world then perhaps will have more Dollys.
(Remember Dolly, the sheep?)

Dolly is history. I prefer Shaun the Sheep.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
will
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012 5:52:22 AM

Neurons: 4,325
This is very old news.

The 'problem' is due to the fact that paired chromosomes are able to repair mutations during meiosis. The Y chromosome doesn't have a pair and it's been assumed mutations would therefore accumulate toward genetic decay. Some time ago it was discovered that the Y chromosome contains large 'reversed' sections which enable copying repairs.

Size doesn't matter (if I had a dollar for every time I've said that); the Y has been found to contain a lot more 'information' than supposed.

There's now some interesting research that looks at the Y chromosome in chimps compared to humans. This suggests the human Y has not declined to any real extent in the last 6 million years. The Y probably won't be the same in the next 6 million years, but there is no reason why men will become extinct (for more than a generation or two) before women – mass cull notwithstanding. Shhh

I'll try find a link that explains it better.

vhishious
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012 9:02:21 AM

Neurons: 166
It appears the shrinking Y chromosome theory has been debunked.

http://www.nature.com/news/the-human-y-chromosome-is-here-to-stay-1.10082

“Did I request thee, Maker, from my clay To mould me Man, did I solicit thee From darkness to promote me?”
Hope1
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 1:42:58 PM

Neurons: 3,352
Another website saying Y Chromosome is not rotting! Thankfully!

The popular theory that the Y chromosome is well on its way to losing all its genes is wrong, a new study suggests.
l
CBC News

"Our empirical data fly in the face of the other theories out there," said Jennifer Hughes, lead author of the study, in a statement. "It's clear the Y isn't going anywhere."

Hughes, a biology researcher at the Massachussets Institute of Technology, and her colleagues, published their findings online in the journal Nature Wednesday.

The "rotting Y" theory is based on the fact that the tiny human Y chromosome, found just in males, has lost about 97 per cent of the 600 genes it once shared with the bigger, beefier human X chromosome, which is found in both males and females. The paired chromosomes were once identical and regularly traded genes with one another like the other 22 pairs of human chromosomes. But larger and larger sections of the X and Y stopped that kind of swapping starting around 300 million years ago, and the Y began losing genes.

David Page, director of the Whitehead Institute at MIT and a co-author of the new paper, said the rotting Y theory went viral and is now so pervasive that he can't give a public talk without being asked about it.

Hughes, Page and their colleagues decided to test the theory by comparing human and chimpanzee Y chromosomes with the Y chromosome of the rhesus macaque, a monkey that shared a common ancestor with humans 25 million years ago.

They found that all 18 genes on the oldest portions of the chromosome, which were inherited from that common ancestor, remained on the Y chromosome of both species - that is, they have remained stable for 25 million years. In a slightly newer part of the chromosome that formed about 30 million years ago, one gene has been lost in humans since they split from rhesus monkeys. All other differences between the Y chromosomes in the two species arose in the past 25 million years.

"The Y was in free fall early on, and genes were lost at an incredibly rapid rate," Page acknowledged in a statement. "But then it levelled off, and it's been doing just fine since."

Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts. Bernard M. Baruch 1870-1965
will
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 6:30:43 AM

Neurons: 4,325
This recent rhesus macaque study is news to me, I guess that's the reason for the article in the OP coming now.

Thanks for the info.