Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 7:52:04 AM

Neurons: 149,736
That's what you get, with faith.

Mise, tá mé lán de dea-fhortún.
floyd
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 4:40:28 PM

Neurons: 411
Friends --

Some of you have become friends of a sort in the last six months, so I want you to know that my wife died two weeks ago. She had Alzheimer's disease for six years, but until just before the end, we connected with each other in spite of the suffering.

During the six years of that brutal illness, she was able to stay at home. I did a lot of remembering for her, and we talked often about how very, very fortunate we have been.

I don't know what Eliot was writing about, but I can tell you that our love never flagged with the suffering. As I said, we were very, very fortunate.

Now my wife is gone, but if I need her, she's tucked away in my heart. The sadness is deep, but as Eliot said, no disappointment. You're exactly right, GabhSigenod.

Thanks, friends, for keeping me company,

floyd

PS For you who inspired me to start Middlemarch a couple of months ago, I have to confess to having an idea. I've only started the book, but Eliot's quote could certainly be a description of poor Dorothea.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
rainman
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 7:55:53 AM

Neurons: 510
My condolences Floyd.My mother, who will be 90 this february, suffers from dementia or Alzheimer's,we're not sure which,although I don't think it makes much difference.It is brutal. I'm glad you could connect with your wife in spite of it.
Peace
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 10:35:37 AM

Neurons: 4,678
To Floyd: I understand how profound your suffering and grief must be be. Love as deep and enduring as yours for your wife, must have been sustained her in the darkest hours of her life. Be at peace with yourself that you loved her and was there for her to the end. We, here on the forum, can not take away your sorrow, but we can be here to give you comfort. Marissa.
percivalpecksniff
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 12:10:14 PM

Neurons: 3,404
It is hard to come up with words of comfort Floyd... they all seem so hollow. The best I can say is well done for caring for your wife so well... that is to be admired. Do you have children to comfort you?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. Aristotle
MTC
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 7:46:47 PM

Neurons: 8,606
Floyd, though you have suffered a great loss, your friends and your capacity for friendship will help you endure. And speaking of endurance, you will need it to finish the last lap of Middlemarch, a literary marathon. I staggered through the tape recently. Let your fellow posters know when you're through so we can compare notes. Again, my condolences.