The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Possible US Constitutional Amendment Brewing Options
boneyfriend
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 3:13:25 PM

Neurons: 10,546
http://freespeechforpeople.org/node/256

The whole Citizens United case decision just burns me up. A corporation is NOT a person to my way of thinking. Ridiculous. I am in favor of this action.

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. Ben Williams
Maggie
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 3:39:10 PM

Neurons: 2,128
boneyfriend wrote:
http://freespeechforpeople.org/node/256

The whole Citizens United case decision just burns me up. A corporation is NOT a person to my way of thinking. Ridiculous. I am in favor of this action.

What about Labor Unions? Are they a 'person'? As I understand it, a labor union can give unlimited money to a political party.

"The nearest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this earth is a government program." - Ronald Reagan
nowherenothere
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 3:58:45 PM

Neurons: 2,096
Unfortunately the US Congress and many state legislatures are politcally polarized with much animosity displayed towards one another. They can't seem to agree on anything. It'd be nice if they could compromise and come to agreement, but they seem so hateful toward one another's political parties and view each other as enemies instead of colleagues.

Do you suppose any amendment can be ratified given the current political climate and with a major election taking place a year from now?

http://www.usconstitution.net/constam.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Constitution

Forgiving is Love, Love is For Giving.
jmacann
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:02:18 PM

Neurons: 3,887
The convention method of ratification was employed in 1933 for the ratification of the twenty-first amendment -but has a convention for proposing amendments ever been called by the states? Thanks.
PJL
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 7:42:08 PM

Neurons: 42
According to several sources I consulted, imacann, there has never been a convention of states called for proposing amendments. Even if the requisite 38 states tried to call such a convention, I'd bet that they'd get so bogged down in considering the preliminaries, such as where they'd meet, who would represent each state, etc., that the convention would never actually take place. nowhere's observations on animosity and polarization seem to accurately reflect the prevailing mood of the country.
boneyfriend
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 8:03:06 PM

Neurons: 10,546
Maggie, if a union is incorporated, according to this idea, that union would not be allowed to donate $$$. Unincorporated unions would be allowed to donate.
I posted this because I thought it was a unique idea that would foment discussion. I have just a concerned citizens knowledge of such matters.

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. Ben Williams
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 6:36:44 AM

Neurons: 6,040
The fundamental essence of a corporation is that the members/owners of the corporation are protected from personal liability from acts of the corporation. If a corporation can't pay its bills its assets are sold and the corporation can then dissolve/disappear. As long as the members/owners didn't personally sign any papers then (with rare exception) they're not personally liable. The corporation thus allows the owners/members to take greater risks. That's also why its advisable for corporate officers to include their corporate status (Pres, VP, Treasurer) etc next to their signature - so it's clear they're signing on behalf of the corporation and not themselves.

But there is always a trade-off (quid pro quo). It is because corporations give their members/owners this protected status that corporations are treated differently (pay different taxes; arguably can not be involved in politics in the same way as humans). Most unions are more akin to partnerships(where the members/owners)are personally liable - except that some do incorporate and they then have to abide by the local and federal rules that other corporations do.