The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you... Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 61,695
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)
mustabir
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 5:46:12 AM

Neurons: 141
No matter which way you go unless you don't have an aim!
mustabir
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 5:52:27 AM

Neurons: 141
mustabir wrote:

...unless you have an aim it should continue...
Christine
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 8:22:15 AM

Neurons: 15,842
Another quote of the Cheshire Cat:

“Say what you mean and mean what you say”

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

vee1534
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 9:19:03 AM

Neurons: 249
The way may not seem to matter. It may, however, be that, although one does not know which way to go oneself, there is an objective "right" and a "wrong" way to go which might make a difference ultimately. I know, this is balls!
Drew
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 11:21:22 AM

Neurons: 4,487
Something I always wondered: does "Cheshire" refer to the cat's color? My understanding is that Cheshire is a type of yellowish cheese.
Christine
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:10:00 PM

Drew wrote:
Something I always wondered: does "Cheshire" refer to the cat's color? My understanding is that Cheshire is a type of yellowish cheese.

You are right.

"Oldest English cheese dating from Roman Britain; crumbly, may be pale yellow, blue-veined, or coloured orange with annatto; matured 2-6 weeks; approx. 30% water, 24% protein, 30% fat. At one time the cheesemakers of Cheshire impressed the image of a grinning cat on the outside of the cheese; this is believed to be the origin of the Cheshire cat popularized in Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland."

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

Christine
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:14:58 PM

mustabir wrote:
mustabir wrote:

...unless you have an aim it should continue...

Yes, this is about one's aim or course in life.

Kanga85
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 8:15:51 PM

Neurons: 96
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference. (Robert Frost)

So perhaps it does matter?
Christine
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:40:49 PM

Kanga85 wrote:

Yes, because he knew what he wanted.....but Alice didn't know.

Joseph Glantz
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 8:06:35 AM

Neurons: 6,040
So does this mean all the people in Cheshire Connecticut like cheese? And shouldn't we defer to Christine/Alice on this one.
early_apex
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 9:39:47 AM

Neurons: 12,835
Kanga85 wrote:

We don't know if it mattered or not. That poem is much more subtle than it appears when you lift a couple of lines from it, as is popular to do. A closer reading reveals that both paths appeared equally untraveled.

Discussion page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_Not_Taken_(poem)

Frost and the cheese-cat may be saying the same thing: If you don't know where you are going, any path will do.

Or maybe not. A fork in the road is a metaphor for choices we make every day, and many times they are not recoverable. This is the definition of crisis -- having a choice to make without knowing the possible outcomes.

"Shut up, she explained." - Ring Lardner