The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Sir Georg Solti (1912) Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,985
Sir Georg Solti (1912)

Solti was a Hungarian-born British conductor. Not long after making his piano debut at age 12, he decided he wanted to conduct. He returned to piano during WWII and won the 1942 Geneva International Competition. After the war, he began conducting again and led orchestras all over Europe and the US. As director of the Royal Opera House, he made the first full recording of Richard Wagner's Ring cycle, one of history's most celebrated recordings. How did he earn the nickname "the screaming skull"? More...
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2011 10:04:38 AM

Neurons: 4,678
This reminds me of an Oyster bar in G.P.P., Mi. (I wonder if it is still there?...) Anyway, during the time when I frequented the place, there was a Hungarian piano player who spent the evening playing the piano for the customers who came in there. More often than not I would request the piano player, whose name I have now forgotten, to play old Hungarian pieces, much to everyone's dismay, except to myself:). Everyone else wanted to hear a jazzy kind of music. I think he and the rest of the people dreaded to see me come.:) l