The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

'people watching', 'watching' is a gerund or part of a continuous tense Options
A cooperator
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 5:47:31 PM

Neurons: 14,293
Hi!
While watching a film on a TV channel, I heard this phrase 'people watching'. In the Arabic translation of 'people watching' shown as the subtitle of the speech, 'watching' was translated as a noun.
So, why did the interpreter of that movie not translate 'watching' as part of a continuous tense [present continuous tense + an intransitive verb] - ('people who are watching'? However, s/he only translated it to Arabic as a noun modified by the noun 'people' (NN phrase).

So, I am still wondering if 'watching' in 'people watching' is as part of a continuous tense 'people who are watching' or not.

However, "I am inquiring about the apartment listing.", 'listing' is always transitive. So, it cannot be as part of a continuous tense (= NOT the apartment which is listing)

I looked up both 'watching' and 'listing' in the dictionaries, but I didn't find them listed as nouns. I only found 'watch' and 'list' as nouns.

So, in general, how can I distinguish the two, a gerund functioning as a noun and participle used as part of a continuous tense?
thar
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 6:45:04 PM

Neurons: 85,467
You need to look at context and possibly do a search using that specific phrase.

On a website where you look for apartments, you have an apartment listing.
it is a listing of an apartment. A noun. A type of listing.
You look on the website and see an apartment listing, and then contact the seller or landlord.

In another context, after an earthquake you might see a building listing. That is a verb - tilting over, not standing straight. That is what the building is doing.

When you sit in a park bench and watch people go by, you are people-watching. You are watching people. That is a thing you do - people-watching.

But in another type of sentence there are people who are watching a match. These are people watching, not people playing in the match.

You have to:
Look at context and meaning.
Look it up on a search of English dictionary sites, not just translations
Understand that these things are flexible and idiomatic - you can't look for one rule to apply wherever you see the words in that form.

It is hard - there are just some words that are nouns. But they are listed in dictionaries.

Quote:
people watching
noun
noun: people-watching; noun: peoplewatching
the action or practice of spending time idly observing people in a public place.
"each seat has a view of the park across the street and is perfect for people watching"

people-watch
verb
gerund or present participle: people-watching
spend time idly observing people in a public place.
"the courtyard is a great place to sit and people-watch"

Quote:
listing
in American English

NOUN
1. the act of making a list
2. an entry in a list, as in a directory, a real-estate broker's record of property for sale, etc.
3. a list

Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 6:48:39 PM

Neurons: 962,698
People-watching is one of my favorite activities, and I practice it every chance I get.