The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

‘DID YOU KNOW’ #8: “Signs You’re Getting Old”: Options
hedy mmm
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 11:15:13 AM

Neurons: 655,505
This thread is dedicated to BobShilling ...

"You're Getting Old"

When you shut your ears to laughter, and to kids, at work or play
You are fast becoming aged, yes you're really on the way

When little things upset you, causing you to rant and rave,
It's time to sit and ponder, or take leave for your dark cave

Years alone won't make you aged,
Some get old while they're still young
It's a pessimistic outlook that makes you remain unsung

So don't shut your ears to laughter, laugh at life be brave and bold
And you will never show the signs that say, "You're getting old".

To my other TFDers that may feel that way too, I pray that this poem will dispel that notion, or at least give you food for thought...Think

hedy mmm

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
BobShilling
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 1:07:01 PM

Neurons: 7,616
I think your post was meant to be encouraging,hedy thanks for the thought. However:

. That's me.

When little things upset you, causing you to rant and rave That's me.

take leave for your dark cave That's where I spend most of my time.

Years alone won't make you aged Perhaps not, but they sure as heck help.

Some get old while they're still young I did. It meant that I didn't have to worry about getting old in later years - I was already there.

It's a pessimistic outlook that makes you remain unsung Guess I'll stay unsung.
hedy mmm
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 4:48:04 PM

BobShilling wrote:
I think your post was meant to be encouraging, hedy thanks for the thought.

(my rebuttals are in red)

However:
You are fast becoming aged, yes you're really on the way.
That's me. Yikes!

When little things upset you, causing you to rant and rave. That's me. Double Yikes!

take leave for your dark cave That's where I spend most of my time. I hope your younger wife does not accompany you there!

Years alone won't make you aged Perhaps not, but they sure as heck help. One of my close friends and Rotarian sister, Bea Castiglia Catullo, died last year she was shy of 103 ...what killed her was a tumor that they found at the base of her bran about two months before...she was bright and chipper until that day... she outlived two husbands and a boyfriend ...she was the founder of R.A.I.N. (Regional Aid for Interim Needs) and Meals on Wheels for the Indigent, she started the latter when she was over 85...She was so excited, she drove to my office to tell me, she knew I would share in her joy, she called me “her little dolly”, I was 32... she had outlived two of her children. Other than creating a network for the elderly, with homecare, food, and centers for them to congregate in ...she wanted to feed the homeless, indigent in poor areas from food mini buses...she started with $25,000 that a friend gave her from winnings in the lottery... the second year the Bob Hope Foundation picked up the tab and granted her with a $250,000 a year budget and she did that till she died...look her up, it will be encouraging,

Some get old while they're still young I did. It meant that I didn't have to worry about getting old in later years - I was already there. Yikes!

It's a pessimistic outlook that makes you remain unsung. Guess I'll stay unsung. We all make choices but remember life is not a dress rehearsal!

Live as though there’s no tomorrow...Take your ‘younger’ wife on an exotic trip, Hawaii, Tahiti, Taj Mahal, even Puerto Rico...dark caves are for bears that are hibernating ...not for BobShillng!

hedy mmm

Clyde of Oz
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 7:44:29 PM

Neurons: 4,041
Shouldn't it be: take leave from your dark cave ?

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” ― Carl Sagan
hedy mmm
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:54:46 PM

Hi Clyde of Oz,

No, I believe what I wrote is correct:
When little things upset you, causing you to rant and rave,
It's time to sit and ponder, or take leave for your dark cave

If you don’t “sit and ponder” to re-evaluate your view, then you would “take leave for your dark cave”......Going to not coming from...to a dark existence.

I’d be curious to know what other opinions offer, after all, I memorized this poem over 65 yrs ago and, Yikes! I possibly screwed up that one word! Think
Golly...It could happen! d'oh!

hedy mmmDancing

FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 12:17:29 PM

Neurons: 60,665
Angel
BobShilling wrote:
I think your post was meant to be encouraging,hedy thanks for the thought. However:

. That's me.
Not me. I don't mind at all the kids laughing and playing, with one exception: one 9-year-old granddaughter seems to think everything that comes out of her mouth needs to be at full volume. It's like driving nails into my eardrums...
(Pray Please install a volume control on the child)

When little things upset you, causing you to rant and rave That's me.
Naw. Like the saying goes: Don't sweat the small stuff. There are enough problems in life without creating more...d'oh!

take leave for your dark cave That's where I spend most of my time.
It is a good place for contemplation and meditation...Think

Years alone won't make you aged Perhaps not, but they sure as heck help.
Only if you allow it.

Some get old while they're still young I did. It meant that I didn't have to worry about getting old in later years - I was already there.
Apparently, I was born an old soul. At least, that's what my mother said. She told me I was born 40 years old, and just got older. So I now have 113 years of experience...Dancing

It's a pessimistic outlook that makes you remain unsung Guess I'll stay unsung.
I like to think I'll be "sung"...Angel

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
hedy mmm
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 2:05:39 PM

A big DITTO to you FounDit!

I’m glad you thinks like I do... I gave my mother the book many years ago, “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff”...she worried about everything, always seeing the cup half empty...after 9/11 I bought her a notebook...I asked her to jot down each day, a new page, a positive remembrance...just one, that would begin by saying, “I remember when..” ...like when my sister and I were born, my brothers’ birth, her first pet, her wedding, mine, anything that was a joyous occasion...she said she couldn’t think what joys she’d be able to write about...but it was a homework assignment, from Hedy, so she had no choice! i didn’t anticipate more than a few entries if at all.

When the Lord called her home 3 yrs later at 84 (3 months after my husband of 45 yrs.) I found not one but 3 notebooks full of “I remember when..”...her first entry was about my birth!
At her memorial service I read 18 entries she wrote about, (she actually had a few hundred remembrances, so I picked her favorites to share) amidst my tears, I knew she had finally decided to ”sit and ponder”, I was overjoyed that she found the joy that still lives in me...not saying that life isn’t always peaches‘n’cream, sometimes life gives you lemons...So make lemonade (and add a dash of tequila if you gotta!)

What people don’t realize is that we only go through this life once, it’s not a dress rehearsal...we are not promised tomorrow
’Someday’ is not a day of the week...
Life goes by while you’re busy making plans...

My adage...”Life Is hard but God is good”, for He has brought me through all the storms in my life.

It’s not that we’re not aging, It’s as you said...your staying ’Sung’...ditto!

hedy