The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

protected Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2019 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,931
Today's topic: protected

generic word - One referring to a commercial product, formerly a brand name that is no longer protected by trademark. More...

patent leather - Got its name from the U.S. Patent Office, as the leather's finish was once protected by patent. More...

shelter - May come from Middle English sheltron, a body of troops that protected itself in battle with a covering of joined shields. More...

patron - Derives from Latin patronus, which means "protector of clients" or "defender." More...

More...
coag
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2019 5:41:46 PM

Neurons: 6,710
Patron is a strange word. According to Merriam-Webster it can mean both a customer and owner of an establishment.
thar
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2019 5:46:43 PM

Neurons: 84,299
Well, it reflects the retail relationship!

patron - father.
So, the head, owner, boss.

But also the one who gives it patronage, looks after it, supports it, gives it money..... the customer!

I own my own business - so I am the boss.
But I serve my clients or customers - the customers are king.

patronise is strange too.

You patronise an establishment - you shop there / use its services, spend your money there. You are a patron, a valued customer. Angel

But to patronise a person is to arrogantly treat them as less intellectually or socially able than you, as if they are an idiot or incapable of understanding things. You are a wanker. Whistle

Also, it is an originally-gendered word that has that cultural baggage without the gender. Eg the Queen is the patron of many charities. But I don't think you could describe her as a matron!

Prince Andrew, on the other hand, is suddenly the patron of a lot fewer things than he was a few days ago. Whistle

And of course if you are looking at artistic patronage, then the one is the patron, and the other is the protégé.

From.... the one who is protected.
protect
Quote:
attested in English since 1530, from Latin protectus (“covered, protected”), past participle of protegere (“to cover the front, protect”) from pro- + tegere (“to cover”).

protégé
Quote:

Borrowed from French protégé, past participle of protéger (“to protect”).
Noun
protégé (plural protégés)

A person who is guided and supported by an older and more experienced person or mentor.
While Yau was in China, he visited Xi-Ping Zhu, a protégé of his who was now chairman of the mathematics department at Sun Yat-sen University. — Manifold Destiny by Sylvia Nasar and David Gruber, The New Yorker

but that one, being borrowed directly from the French, is still gendered
Quote:
protégée (plural protégées)

A female protégé.

tego, tegere - to cover

protect - forward cover
detect - uncover

and what to thatched roofs and Roman togas have in common? Yes, PIE - cover.

thatch
Quote:
Variant of thack, from Old English þæc (“roof-covering”),

from Proto-Germanic *þaką (“covering”), from (o-grade of) Proto-Indo-European *teg- (“cover”).
Cognate with Icelandic þak, Dutch dak, German Dach, Norwegian and Swedish tak, Danish tag; and with Latin toga, Albanian thak (“awn, beard, pin, peg, tassel, fringe”), Lithuanian stogas (“roof”).
See also English deech, deck.

coag
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 1:25:05 AM

Neurons: 6,710
Thanks, thar. Especially for tegere and *(s)teg. I didn't know this root. Two other words with this root are: tile (not surprisingly) and
tegula (a word I've never heard).

Tegula excavata
(Wikipedia)

A German word for brick is "Ziegel" and this word has the PIE *(s)teg- root, too. What's interesting is that in Old English early Mid English there was a word with the same root for brick.

tile (n.)
early 14c., from Old English tigele "roofing shingle," from Proto-Germanic *tegala (Old Saxon tiegla, Old High German ziagal, German ziegel, Dutch tegel, Old Norse tigl), a borrowing from Latin tegula "roof-tile" (source also of Italian tegola, French tuile), from tegere "to roof, to cover," from PIE root *(s)teg- "to cover." Also used in Old English and early Middle English for "brick," before that word came into use.
(Online Etymology Dictionary)

PS
A Croatian and Serbian word for a glass jar is "tegla". I've always thought that this word might be of Germanic origin. But no, it's from Latin tegula "roof-tile".
(Wiktionary)

thar wrote:
Prince Andrew, on the other hand, is suddenly the patron of a lot fewer things than he was a few days ago. Whistle

He could be father to that girl.