The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife. Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 88,887
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

Jane Austen (1775-1817)
KSPavan
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 12:54:42 AM

Neurons: 3,802,321
Quotation of the Day
?
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.
Jane Austen (1775-1817)
Bully_rus
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 1:37:20 AM

Neurons: 273,468
Daemon wrote:

Jane Austen (1775-1817)

Nah. To waste the good fortune on someone or something else? It would be a great regret, indeed…
thar
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 2:37:32 AM

Neurons: 86,423
Quote:
Why is the first sentence in Pride and Prejudice ironic?

Expert Answers info
D. REYNOLDS eNotes educator | CERTIFIED EDUCATOR

This is an oft-repeated, very famous example of irony in English literature:

Irony is saying the opposite of what is meant. What is actually being "universally acknowledged" in this sentence is that everyone in the village wants either themselves to marry or have their daughters or female relatives wedded to well-off men. Everyone, in other words, wants a well-to-do husband (having a fortune didn't necessarily mean wealth at that time, but having a comfortable income) or a well-to-do husband in the family.

This desire, this universal running after the well-to-do man as desirable husband material, is then projected onto these prosperous men as what they must want. Since other people want them to marry, it's decided that they must want wives.

Austen is making fun of the way people assume others must share their own desires.

Doodle Snackers
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 3:06:19 AM

Neurons: 14,545
Women: They make the highs higher...and the low$ more frequent. Brick wall
Doodle Snackers
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 3:40:53 AM

Neurons: 14,545
The only reason that people want wealthy men to all get 'emselves a wife is so that these wedded women will then be very handy commercial conduits who will continue to deprive their husbands of their wealth by buying an innumerable amount of products that otherwise would never be sold but remain gathering dust when left on the shelf...just like old maids. If an old maid ever manage$ to get a wealthy husband she will naturally help her$helf to his money. Boo hoo!

A bachelor is a thing of beauty and a boy forever...if he'$ clever.
thar
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 3:41:57 AM

Neurons: 86,423
Does nobody get social satire? Brick wall
Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 4:53:44 AM

Neurons: 657,536
Women learn and are conditioned to be a good wife, mother, and caretaker. Men are taught to be themselves and marriage seems to just show up for them. I have never heard a straight, thirty-year-old man cry out to me how he cannot find ‘the one.’ Women seem to be an item a straight man can obtain, whenever he ‘feels ready to settle down,’ whether that be at twenty, thirty or sixty; the game is stacked in their favor.
monamagda
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 7:28:47 AM

Neurons: 5,894,433

Context from:Pride and Prejudice

Chapter 1

IT is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

However little known the feelings or views of such a man may be on his first entering a neighbourhood, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding families, that he is considered as the rightful property of some one or other of their daughters.

"My dear Mr. Bennet," said his lady to him one day, "have you heard that Netherfield Park is let at last?"

Mr. Bennet replied that he had not.

"But it is," returned she; "for Mrs. Long has just been here, and she told me all about it."

Mr. Bennet made no answer.

"Do not you want to know who has taken it?" cried his wife impatiently.

"You want to tell me, and I have no objection to hearing it."

This was invitation enough.

"Why, my dear, you must know, Mrs. Long says that Netherfield is taken by a young man of large fortune from the north of England; that he came down on Monday in a chaise and four to see the place, and was so much delighted with it that he agreed with Mr. Morris immediately; that he is to take possession before Michaelmas, and some of his servants are to be in the house by the end of next week."

"What is his name?"

"Bingley."

"Is he married or single?"

"Oh! single, my dear, to be sure! A single man of large fortune; four or five thousand a year. What a fine thing for our girls!"

"How so? how can it affect them?"

"My dear Mr. Bennet," replied his wife, "how can you be so tiresome! You must know that I am thinking of his marrying one of them."

"Is that his design in settling here?"

"Design! nonsense, how can you talk so! But it is very likely that he may fall in love with one of them, and therefore you must visit him as soon as he comes."

"I see no occasion for that. You and the girls may go, or you may send them by themselves, which perhaps will be still better; for, as you are as handsome as any of them, Mr. Bingley might like you the best of the party."

"My dear, you flatter me. I certainly have had my share of beauty, but I do not pretend to be any thing extraordinary now.

Read more :http://www.publicbookshelf.com/romance/pride-prejudice/single-man

Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 9:38:01 AM

Neurons: 1,000,559

Jane Austen (1775-1817)
taurine
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 9:38:11 AM

Neurons: 140,691
From whence will arise many questions of legitimation,
And what in nature is the difference betwixt a wife and a concubine.

-Locke.

If I could win a lady by vaulting into my saddle with my armour on,
I should quickly leap into a wife.

-Shakspeare.
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 10:58:47 AM

Neurons: 62,513
taurine wrote:
From whence will arise many questions of legitimation,
And what in nature is the difference betwixt a wife and a concubine.

-Locke.

If I could win a lady by vaulting into my saddle with my armour on,
I should quickly leap into a wife.

-Shakspeare.

Still wearing his armour? Ouch.

Reading the posts by Doodle Snackers, I can't help but call to mind the Grail Knight from the Indiana Jones movie, when the Nazi drank from the wrong cup, immediately aged and turned to dust.

"He chose...poorly".

taurine
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 11:29:09 AM

Neurons: 140,691
FounDit wrote:
Still wearing his armour? Ouch.

Yeah. I simply could not decide on a wife or concubine.
marumaru
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 5:15:21 PM

Neurons: 254,067
She was so ahead of her time...Apart from being satirical and funny, Pride and Prejudice´s first sentence masterfully depicts the core of English society - and the role of women - in the early 19th century. Austen will then create Liz Bennet to take charge of challenging the statement subtly but determinedly; the man "in possession of a fortune" marries the woman he loves and who loves him, after having known, hated, accepted and learned to work on their mutual flaws. Not a match made in heaven; a deep and long-lasting love built on solid and honest self-discovery; the struggled to and succeeded in getting rid of prejudice.
isaaac
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 6:06:30 PM

Neurons: 41,281
Boo hoo! Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall
don everly
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 6:28:16 PM

Neurons: 1,873
From the beginning of time Men were too take a Wife; God said it is not good that the man is alone, So God created a helpmate, and the man lost his Eden because of the helpmate who help herself And still to this every day men have lost his homes and fortune because of helpmates or women who help themself!!!!!!