The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

"Warning" by Anonymous Options
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 5:21:24 AM

Neurons: 1,180,404
Anonymous author's 'Warning' portrays a presidency on the brink
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/anonymous-authors-warning-portrays-a-presidency-on-the-brink/

The author said the book will feature "a great deal" from Trump himself, "for there is no better witness to his character than his own words."

[little donny] is "like a twelve-year-old in an air traffic control tower, pushing the buttons of government indiscriminately, indifferent to the planes skidding across the runway and the flights frantically diverting away from the airport."

The author’s Sept. 5, 2018, op-ed in the Times, headlined "I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration," depicted some senior officials as a bulwark protecting the country from the president’s reckless impulses. Trump denounced it at the time as treasonous.

In the book, the author repudiates the central thesis of the column: "I was wrong about the 'quiet resistance' inside the Trump administration. Unelected bureaucrats and cabinet appointees were never going to steer Donald Trump the right direction in the long run, or refine his malignant management style. He is who he is."

The author describes senior officials waking up in the morning "in a full-blown panic" over the wild pronouncements the president had made on Twitter.

"It’s like showing up at the nursing home at daybreak to find your elderly uncle running pantsless across the courtyard and cursing loudly about the cafeteria food, as worried attendants tried to catch him," the author writes. "You’re stunned, amused, and embarrassed all at the same time. Only your uncle probably wouldn’t do it every single day, his words aren’t broadcast to the public, and he doesn’t have to lead the US government once he puts his pants on."

The book depicts Trump as making misogynistic and racist comments behind the scenes. "I’ve sat and listened in uncomfortable silence as he talks about a woman’s appearance or performance," the author writes. "He comments on makeup. He makes jokes about weight. He critiques clothing. He questions the toughness of women in and around his orbit. He uses words like 'sweetie' and 'honey' to address accomplished professionals. This is precisely the way a boss shouldn’t act in the work environment."

The author alleges that Trump attempted a Hispanic accent during an Oval Office meeting to complain about migrants crossing the U.S.-Mexico border.

"We get these women coming in with like seven children," Trump said, according to the book. "They are saying, 'Oh, please help! My husband left me!' They are useless. They don’t do anything for our country. At least if they came in with a husband we could put him in the fields to pick corn or something."

The author argues that Trump is incapable of leading the United States through a monumental international crisis, describing how he tunes out intelligence and national security briefings and theorizing that foreign adversaries see him as "a simplistic pushover" who is susceptible to flattery and easily manipulated.

After the 2018 killing of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi by Saudi agents, the author writes, Trump vented to advisers and said he would be foolish to stand up to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

"Do you know how stupid it would be to pick this fight?" Trump said, according to the book. "Oil would go up to one hundred fifty dollars a barrel. Jesus. How [expletive] stupid would I be?"
Ursus Minor
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 7:21:11 AM

Neurons: 2,661
Oscar D. Grouch wrote:
The book depicts Trump as making misogynistic and racist comments behind the scenes. "I’ve sat and listened in uncomfortable silence as he talks about a woman’s appearance or performance," the author writes. "He comments on makeup. He makes jokes about weight. He critiques clothing. He questions the toughness of women in and around his orbit. He uses words like 'sweetie' and 'honey' to address accomplished professionals. This is precisely the way a boss shouldn’t act in the work environment."
[/size]

It seem this anonymous author is a woman.
Romany
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 8:25:55 AM

Neurons: 50,858
Ursus M -

Although a guess at the person's identity has been made, that was only a guess. As far as we know, their gender and identity has still not been disclosed. Seeing how few women are currently at the White House, if I had to guess I'd say the likliehood would be that it was a man.
Ursus Minor
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 1:48:12 AM

Romany wrote:
Ursus M -

Although a guess at the person's identity has been made, that was only a guess. As far as we know, their gender and identity has still not been disclosed. Seeing how few women are currently at the White House, if I had to guess I'd say the likliehood would be that it was a man.

But my guess is based on a psycholinguistic analysis.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 8:40:20 AM

Neurons: 1,180,404
Ursus Minor wrote:
Oscar D. Grouch wrote:

It seem this anonymous author is a woman.

While it might seem obvious to make the assumption that only a woman would be offended by little donny's behavior, I believe that many men would find it inappropriate as well. It may be common for men to notice a woman's dress, hair, etc. However, most would have the professionalism, respect and decency not to voice these thoughts out loud. little donny has none of these characteristics.
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 10:10:40 AM

Neurons: 51,153
Ursus Minor wrote:
Romany wrote:
Ursus M -

But my guess is based on a psycholinguistic analysis.

Analysis of just this paragraph?

What difference does gender make?

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes/ears. It was their final, most essential command Orwell 1984
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 7:05:23 PM

Ursus M,

As I've mentioned often, I've been involved over the past three years, in studing the whole Trump presidency from a psycholinguistic position. It's taken me down many paths.

But I don't see any psychological or linguistic 'tells' in the given text that would justify any gender determination? What was it that you found which indicated gender probability?
thar
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 1:23:08 AM

Neurons: 84,293
Agreeing with Oscar:
Are you assuming that only a woman can be uncomfortable in the presence of misogynistic and sexualised comments?
What a low opinion to have of men in general!
Or just those who go into politics! Whistle
Or that only women would sit fuming and not call him out on it? Not if men want to keep their career, presumably. That low opinion seems entirely justified. He got away with that shit because even the men it made uncomfortable didn't give him a smack-down. Way too much kow-towing and 'respect for the Office'. Which should mean calling out any person who besmirches it.
Ursus Minor
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 3:29:34 AM

There's obviously a feeling of resentfulness in her words. It's a woman.
Kirill Vorobyov
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 4:17:33 AM

Neurons: 4,719
Think

I wonder if you can see me through as well as you do that woman.
BobShilling
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 4:23:19 AM

Neurons: 7,616
thar wrote:
Agreeing with Oscar:
Are you assuming that only a woman can be uncomfortable in the presence of misogynistic and sexualised comments
What a low opinion to have of men in general!

Quite!
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 11:36:23 AM

As there's no back-up for a psycho-linguistic reason for saying a woman said it, then I'm in agreement with Thar, Oscar, Hope & Bob...all of us, btw, native-speakers.

I'm also in agreement that you must have an extremely low opinion of men for that thought even to occur to you.

It's also pretty insulting to the above male posters.