The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Kept picking ("Friends") Options
AlyonaSunlight
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2019 7:25:42 AM

Neurons: 3,000
Hello everyone!!

In one of the episodes the friends are discussing Monica's new boyfriend.
Here are some lines:

Monica: Let's let the Alan-bashing begin. Who's gonna take the first shot? Come on!
Ross: I'll go. Let's start with how he kept picking... (interrupts himself)
I'm sorry, I can't do this. We loved him.

As far as the verb "pick" has many meanings is it obvious for native speakers what he is talking about?

Is it necessary "to pick at"- to eat only a small amount of your food, showing no interest or enjoyment while you eat it or not?
(this is the way it's translated into my language).

Thank you in advance!
thar
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2019 7:52:38 AM

Neurons: 83,484
No, it's not obvious.

No, it's not food. (that wouldn't be 'kept' picking, it would be 'always picked at his food')

So, he could have been continually
picking his nose
picking his scabs/spots
picking bad restaurants to go out to!

It could be phrasal, but you don't generally split the verb and preposition, even if you are interrupting yourself:
Picking at a subject that someone else wanted dropped
picking on people
picking up strange girls and bringing them home

it could be loads of things.

Or it could actually be nothing - Ross thinks he is a great guy and can't actually think of a single bad point, so he starts the sentence with a common sort of complaint and then doesn't have anything to say to complete it.

AlyonaSunlight
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2019 8:07:48 AM

Neurons: 3,000
Thank you very much, thar!!!
taurine
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2019 9:12:32 AM

Neurons: 123,970
I am not a native English language speaker. Despite of it, the meaning for me was if not obvious, then at least very strong probable.
I understood the word 'bashing' without searching for it in the dictionary data base. 'Who's gonna take the first shot?' also seems to be corresponding with the intention of criticising someone.

I can describe another situation. Let's imagine a man who all of a sudden appears in front of you from a side road putting his index finger into his nostril. You do not know him, but he seems to be in his mean disposition showing that he knows about you something and you should change your behaviour. Because he knows better. If shortly later on, another person will try with her car prevent you from crossing the road without acknowledging her presence, then the picture might be clear. With the additional elements like, for example, that the woman in the car is not known to you personally but before multiple times she tried to ridicule you in an open-air showing that she knows you, and has a new car while you were walking, and your antagonist known to you personally with who you do not speak at all happened to be walking just before the person in the car attempted to force her way in front of you, it can become even lighter.

The situation above is created by me as I am reading on a daily basis criminal law cases./

Meine treue deine hande. Herzogtum.