The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

"The Shot Heard 'Round the World" (1951) Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,253
"The Shot Heard 'Round the World" (1951)

Late in the 1951 baseball season, the New York Giants trailed far behind their crosstown rivals, the Brooklyn Dodgers, in the standings. However, the Giants went on a winning streak, and the two teams finished the regular season with identical 96-58 records. In the first two games of a three-game playoff series, the teams traded wins. In the bottom of game three's ninth inning, the Giants were trailing 4-2 with two men on base when Bobby Thomson came to bat. What happened next? More...
pedro
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 5:13:38 AM

Neurons: 63,022
I doubt if it made much of a noise on this side of the Atlantic but I suppose the FA Cup Final has the same effect in the US.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
IMcRout
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 5:21:53 AM

Neurons: 563,379
I think it's that small, special 'world' which is mentioned in the 'World Series'.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
thar
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 5:30:46 AM

Neurons: 83,484
I didn't look closely at the date, but I thought at least they were talking about JFK or something similar?

Sounds like a sports writer with a touch of hyperbole. Though Americans do have this weird habit of calling something a World Series, when it is US and Canada, and their teams then get beaten by Japan, Dominica....

and for American football, they call it a world champion when it is between two American leagues, they do not even let the Canadians in!

but then world cups are not really their thing (football, rugby, hockey, even ice hockey) so they make one they are almost guaranteed to win.

sorry, americans, but this thread really was asking for a put-down. No offence ( I hate it when people say that, it means they have offended you and expect you to forgive them without them saying sorry!)
tootsie
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 6:24:36 AM

Neurons: 23,730
now this is one shot that deserves to be heard around the world !!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15145980

Wow!!!

I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost. Winnie-the-Pooh
srirr
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 6:38:44 AM

Neurons: 430,248
Wow! That was incredible, Toots.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
pedro
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 6:53:44 AM

Neurons: 63,022
We really shouldn't blame goalkeepers for these mistakes but................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJDBL1xs2Uo

Just to level the playing field who remembers this? (bear in mind that there was no such thing as technology in those days- (well ..we had yet to land on the moon)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9vVeYGmVWg

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 7:57:50 AM

Neurons: 6,040
The "Shot heard 'round the world" is a phrase that has come to represent several historical incidents. The line is originally from the opening stanza of Ralph Waldo Emerson's "Concord Hymn" (1837), and referred to the beginning of the American Revolutionary War. This 1775 proverbial first shot was fired during an armed stand-off between British forces and local militia in Lexington, escalating into engagements at the Old North Bridge in the battles of Lexington and Concord.

Later, in Europe and the Commonwealth of Nations, the phrase became synonymous with the shot that killed Archduke Franz Ferdinand and plunged Europe into World War I. Since then, the phrase has also been used to allude to the importance of single actions in sporting and other cultural and social events.

Source - Wikipedia
excaelis
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 6:14:12 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Thanks for the 411, JG.

Sanity is not statistical