mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Grant her that Options
Kristina Lukosevice
Posted: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 10:16:03 AM

Neurons: 239
Dear All,

how do you understand this phrase in the following context:

" "Good morning, Miss Worthington," Miss St. Claire called as I made my way to the sideboard. 'I hope you slept well."
"Yes, I slept well, thank you." I had to bite back other, less polite words, about how I was Henry's guest, not hers, and that she has not supposed to be here on my first and only visit to Blackmoore. I bit back the uncharitable words that rose to my tongue and struggled to think something kind about this interloper, this young woman who had come here to rob me of the visit I was supposed to have. I thought hard while I piled food on my plate and by the time I turned to the table and the empty seat across the two of them, I had thought of one thing: Miss St. Claire was a thoughtful interloper. I could grant her that. "

J. Donaldson "Blackmoore"

She is sure, that Miss St.Claire is an interloper, or maybe she gave her a "nickname":)? Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

NancyUK
Posted: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 10:23:49 AM

Neurons: 100,122
Hello Kristina

The speaker is annoyed at the presence of Miss St. Claire, but is trying not to say any of the harsh things that she is thinking.

Finally she is able to find one kind thing to think about her, and that is to concede that at least Miss St. Claire is thoughtful. Still an interloper, but at least a thoughtful interloper for asking if she had slept well.

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance, Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance. Ogden Nash
WeaselADAPT
Posted: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 10:57:31 AM

Neurons: 16,808
Kristina Lukosevice wrote:
Dear All,

how do you understand this phrase in the following context:

" "Good morning, Miss Worthington," Miss St. Claire called as I made my way to the sideboard. 'I hope you slept well."
"Yes, I slept well, thank you." I had to bite back other, less polite words, about how I was Henry's guest, not hers, and that she has not supposed to be here on my first and only visit to Blackmoore. I bit back the uncharitable words that rose to my tongue and struggled to think something kind about this interloper, this young woman who had come here to rob me of the visit I was supposed to have. I thought hard while I piled food on my plate and by the time I turned to the table and the empty seat across the two of them, I had thought of one thing: Miss St. Claire was a thoughtful interloper. I could grant her that. "

J. Donaldson "Blackmoore"

She is sure, that Miss St.Claire is an interloper, or maybe she gave her a "nickname":)? Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Hi, Kristina.

"...I had thought of one thing: Miss St. Claire was a thoughtful interloper. I could grant her that."

Remember, she "struggled to think something kind about this interloper," and then it occurred to her (I believe) that the woman she was having uncharitable thoughts about had greeted her with a sweet "Good morning," had called her by her proper name, "Miss Worthington," and had expressed the hope that she had slept well.

I believe the sentence you're asking about means, if she's honestly trying to find something nice about the woman, she must at least admit (grant her) that she had been thoughtful to her.

Does this make more sense?

the Weasel
WeaselWorks Freelance Editing
Kristina Lukosevice
Posted: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 11:06:06 AM

Neurons: 239
WeaselADAPT, NancyUK - now I understand, thank you very much!