The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

earned vs obtained vs achieved at Options
Carmenex
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 6:10:46 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/7/2014
Posts: 1,068
Neurons: 5,672
Hi, I would please ask you which of the options in bold is more appropriate (using, if possible, different expressions for the two sentences) in the following (it is a bullet list):
- PhD in Chemical Engineering earned/obtained/achieved at the University of Chicago
- Master's Degree in Process Engineering earned/obtained/achieved at the University of California
sureshot
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 4:22:02 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/16/2015
Posts: 2,309
Neurons: 410,329
Carmenex wrote:
Hi, I would please ask you which of the options in bold is more appropriate (using, if possible, different expressions for the two sentences) in the following (it is a bullet list):
- PhD in Chemical Engineering earned/obtained/achieved at the University of Chicago
- Master's Degree in Process Engineering earned/obtained/achieved at the University of California


_________________________

To me, the use of "earned" is the usual word in both your examples.
Carmenex
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 10:26:04 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/7/2014
Posts: 1,068
Neurons: 5,672
sureshot wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
Hi, I would please ask you which of the options in bold is more appropriate (using, if possible, different expressions for the two sentences) in the following (it is a bullet list):
- PhD in Chemical Engineering earned/obtained/achieved at the University of Chicago
- Master's Degree in Process Engineering earned/obtained/achieved at the University of California


_________________________

To me, the use of "earned" is the usual word in both your examples.



Hi sureshot, and thank you for your advice. And, is the use of preposition at correct after "earned"?
What could a possible synonym of "earned" be?
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 11:00:51 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 11,679
Neurons: 58,539
Carmenex wrote:
sureshot wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
Hi, I would please ask you which of the options in bold is more appropriate (using, if possible, different expressions for the two sentences) in the following (it is a bullet list):
- PhD in Chemical Engineering earned/obtained/achieved at the University of Chicago
- Master's Degree in Process Engineering earned/obtained/achieved at the University of California


_________________________

To me, the use of "earned" is the usual word in both your examples.



Hi sureshot, and thank you for your advice. And, is the use of preposition at correct after "earned"?
What could a possible synonym of "earned" be?


You could use "acquired" or one of your words, "obtained", but "earned" is by far the better word here.

And the prep. "at" is correct. It reveals the facility where the degree was earned.


We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.