The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

the short tale-4 Options
nightdream
Posted: Thursday, September 5, 2019 7:41:02 PM

Neurons: 2,482
Does it sound natural? Could you inspect the tale named "The fisherman"?

It was long ago. A fisherman with his wife could not catch even one fish for long.
One day the fisherman went fishing to the river at dawn. He caught some fish and came home happy. His wife was glad and invited a lama *.
The woman boiled the fish; her husband went to the lama.
After her husband had left to see the lama, she tasted her fish: it seemed to her that the fish was very tasty. She ate up the fish.

She became hungry again and ate up another fish.
Eventually, she ate up four fish.
The man invited the lama and brought him. The man sharpened his knife while the lama was sitting.
The woman said to the lama in a whisper: “My husband wants to cut off your ears. Having deceived you, he invited you to eat fish and brought you here”, - she said.

- Not two, I will not give you even one! - The lama shouted, hiding his ears and left.
- Oh, the lama has taken your fish and run away. Catch up with him and take back your fish, - The wife said to her husband.
- I will not give you even one! - The lama shouted, running.
The fisherman could not catch up with the lama.
The wife ate up her fish and lived happily.

A lama *- the name of the rank of Buddhist monk. Lamas were much respected among Kalmyks.

Blodybeef
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 3:20:50 AM

Neurons: 506,547
The story needs more context.

The wife ate all the fish, even if it meant disrespecting the Lama, that she originally thought of inviting, and humiliating her husband.

Maybe a little bit of stress on how hungry she was would have been better.

And also, I think I missed the moral of this story. Is it : You can lie your way to anything if you are cunning enough and plan ahead?

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." ― C.S. Lewis
nightdream
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 3:17:30 PM

Blodybeef wrote:
The story needs more context.

The wife ate all the fish, even if it meant disrespecting the Lama, that she originally thought of inviting, and humiliating her husband.

Maybe a little bit of stress on how hungry she was would have been better.

And also, I think I missed the moral of this story. Is it : You can lie your way to anything if you are cunning enough and plan ahead?

I don't see much moral in this tale, I accept it just a humorous tale.
nightdream
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:38:26 AM

Blodybeef, could you look in "the short tale-5"? http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst194105_the-short-tale-5.aspx