The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The Fixed It project Options
BobShilling
Posted: Monday, September 2, 2019 2:43:35 AM

Neurons: 7,696
I have just read this article about the media's presentation of victims as being somehow responsible for the crimes committed against them.

I have been vaguely aware of this for years, but had not realised how common it was. Worrying.
Lotje1000
Posted: Monday, September 2, 2019 4:04:55 AM

Neurons: 610,304
Thanks for posting this! I think it's important to reflect on how we write things, which perspective we use. Words do matter in framing a story and it's often forgotten how much of an impact they can have on people.
Ravindra
Posted: Monday, September 2, 2019 7:10:23 AM

Neurons: 59,202
It's deplorable that, even after centuries across the world, women are not treated on par with the men in every field. Until that Day comes, we are not human beings.

...gender relationships, which are tough for people to deal with, are key to whether a society orients to domination or partnership in all its relations.

Riane Eisler
Hope123
Posted: Monday, September 2, 2019 5:26:24 PM

Neurons: 51,499
Wow. How many times I have wanted to "FixIt". Talking out loud about it to myself or making my poor husband listen to what someone has written when they have a platform.

I don't remember it being like that years ago, although the news was a five minute radio break and journalists were not partisan but just reported the news.

I believe the Toronto Star has been trying to watch that and to be careful about how all people are described. They have put some rules in place for their journalists.