The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Reaching Critical Mass on Mass Shootings - "The Lancet" Options
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 2:25:12 PM

Neurons: 51,153
"Reaching Critical Mass on Mass Shootings" - "The Lancet"

This article in the medical journal "The Lancet" is mainly about the US but I think it can apply to other countries as well.

A lot of Canada's major city shootings are because of crime, even organized crime (yesterday), and because of disenfranchised youth into gangs and drugs.

Canada has stringent gun laws that have worked for years but recently gun related deaths and shootings are increasing so that doctors and urban people are calling for a complete ban of handguns and rifles. The Conservatives wish to weaken the laws while the Liberals are struggling with what to do to help while not disenfranchising legitimate legal owners who are the most examined people in all of Canada.

The federal Liberal government has increased money for border patrol to lessen smuggling from the US and recently advanced money for community centres in Ontario when the provincial government (Conservative the past year) in all their wisdom cut those funds as well as cutting most social programs designed to help the less advantaged. The federal Liberals will probably ban assault rifles if elected in October while the federal Conservatives have already promised to allow more varieties of assault rifles (while hypocritically demanding banning abortion to save "lives").

The article mentions that in the US the turning of the talk is to racism and misogyny and mental illness is by design to distract from the real main reason:
Systemic cultural issues that produce such problems as Males who are Incels. It explains fully in the article.

And although Canada and other countries with gun problems do not have a "weaponized" Second Amendment" to deal with as they do in the US, perhaps they might find this article interesting.

As for me, I think Canada's gun laws are already strict enough on legal owners and the emphasis should be on social measures.

The article mentions it is not just lives lost and ruined but the shootings have financial and other considerations as well.

Gun-related deaths in the USA (nearly 40 000 in 2017) carry a massive economic toll (US$229 billion, including more than $9 billion for medical and emergency care) and mass shootings contribute disproportionately to financial and social burdens.

I posted it mainly for information but anyone should feel free to comment about the points of view in the article if they wish.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes/ears. It was their final, most essential command Orwell 1984
Blodybeef
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 1:55:34 AM

Neurons: 535,959
In Turkey, we have somewhat strict gun control laws. Sale and posession of assault rifles and repeating fire arms are illegal, rifles are under strict control but you can easily, quickly and quite cheaply buy a hunting gun (shotgun variants).

But if you are bold enough, or don't mind the illegality, Syria and Northern Iraq is just around the corner. You can get anything you want.

The shootings (which are not related to organised crime) in Turkey are mostly due to road rage or "honor/custom."

Road rage, I'm sure you can understand: any aggressive, or perceivedly aggressive, action in traffic (if not crowned by an accident) may 50% of the time end in bloodshed. If an accident does happen, both parties will get off their vehicles, ask the other party if they are OK, file an insurance application form, and peacefully leave the accident zone (which I find is morbidly funny).

"Honor/custom" is harder to explain; men with low education levels and income, when faced with their spouses' request for divorce, almost always spend their last money on buying a shotgun, ask their spouse for a meeting in a public place, then shoot their spouse in front of many witnesses (which may include their own children of any age) then fail to commit suicide.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." ― C.S. Lewis
Kirill Vorobyov
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 9:46:39 AM

Neurons: 4,716
Blodybeef wrote:
any aggressive, or perceivedly aggressive, action in traffic (if not crowned by an accident) may 50% of the time end in bloodshed.

I was thinking of going to Antalya by car next year...

Blodybeef wrote:
almost always spend their last money on buying a shotgun,

Are you joking trying to scare us ignorant tourists? Applause Please say you are. My children are now in Turkey enyoing Mediterranean sun... d'oh! They are with their mother (my former wife). I don't think she ever married again, but who knows - if she might have a Turkish boyfriend or something... This wouldn't count as a divorce if she just breaks up with him (a hypothetical scenario), would it?
Blodybeef
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 12:37:15 AM

Neurons: 535,959
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:

I was thinking of going to Antalya by car next year...

... if she might have a Turkish boyfriend or something... This wouldn't count as a divorce if she just breaks up with him (a hypothetical scenario), would it?

Well, I was being sarcastic abot the road rage... but there is a root of reality behind every joke, you know.

And most people in Turkey drive quite well, you will recognize the potentially troubled drivers before anything bad happens.

As for the murder of women; statistically speaking, 440 women were murdered in 2018 and in the first half of 2019, 214 women were murdered, 40 of them during June. This is a serious problem, and sadly the city where most of these murders occur is Istanbul. Almost all of the victims are Turkish women.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." ― C.S. Lewis