The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Grammar Options
Mohammad Reza.s
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:05:34 AM

Neurons: 1,845
Hi again,

Is this sentence correct as a conditional sentence?

If my criticism was stinging, I apologize.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:20:10 AM

Neurons: 60,589
Mohammad Reza.s wrote:
Hi again,

Is this sentence correct as a conditional sentence?

If my criticism was stinging, I apologize.

Yes, I think so. You have an "if" and a result. "If" this, then "this".

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Mohammad Reza.s
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:42:56 AM

Neurons: 1,845
Thanks for your answer,
Can we call it conditional type2?
thar
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:45:14 AM

Neurons: 84,242
The grammatical format might be a standard conditional, but in practice this is just a standard phrase to avoid apologising to someone. Even making it their fault.

If it was stinging, I apologise.

But it is not a real conditional. That would mean, if the condition was not met

"If it was not stinging, then I don't apologise'".

And that really makes no sense. It really just means
"You are hurt, but I don't think I did any thing wrong. So I am not actually apologising."
That would be "I am sorry for hurting you". No condition.)

Ie it is not an apology. It is a condition that you are not admitting to. A 'weasel' apology. Whistle

Quote:
A non-apology apology, sometimes called a nonpology or fauxpology,[1][2] is a statement in the form of an apology that does not express remorse. It is common in both politics and public relations.

Attorney and business ethics expert Lauren Bloom, author of The Art of the Apology, mentions the "if apology" as a favorite of politicians, with lines such as "I apologize if I offended anyone". Comedian Harry Shearer has coined the term Ifpology for its frequent appearances on "The Apologies of the Week" segment of Le Show.[12]

One of the first references was in the New York Times by Richard Mooney in his 1992 editorial notebook "If This Sounds Slippery ... How to Apologize And Admit Nothing". This was mainly in regard to Senator Bob Packwood: "Only in the event that someone should choose to take offense, why then he's sorry". Mooney goes on to cite Bill Clinton, who said of Mario Cuomo: "If the remarks on the tape left anyone with the impression that I was disrespectful to either Governor Cuomo or Italian-Americans, then I deeply regret it."

A famous example involved racially insensitive remarks made by golfer Fuzzy Zoeller about Tiger Woods; Zoeller's comments and his half-hearted ifpology were news for days and resulted in his being dropped from a commercial tie-in with K-Mart.[13] According to John Kador in Effective Apology, "Adding the word if or any other conditional modifier to an apology makes it a non-apology."[14]

my bold type added.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-apology_apology
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 2:51:37 PM

Neurons: 907,667
Try this...

I'm sorry for what I did (*say what you did). It was wrong of me to do (or say) that, and it caused embarrassment for you (*or was rude, or mean spirited, or wasted your money or time... -- acknowledge the harm you caused). I won't do it again. Can you please forgive me?

You don't apologize for someone else not liking what YOU did -- you apologize for the wrong YOU did.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:11:47 PM

Neurons: 207,936
These are similar to, but not the same as the non-apology attributed to Winston Churchill (I'm not sure whether it's true).

The story is that he called another Member of Parliament "a liar" and was told to apologise.

He said "I did call the honourable gentleman a liar; it's true and I'm sorry for it."

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!