The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The orphaned girl who lived at her step-mother's Options
nightdream
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 11:21:36 AM

Neurons: 2,107
Please, enjoy reading. I will be glad to read your comments. I might miss some things that will srike an eye.

Once upon a time there lived an old man and an old woman with two daughters by previous and next marriages of the old man. They had three cows. A daughter by a previous marriage of the old man tended cows. She was not fed. When she was hungry and suffered, she cried, calling her dead mother. A mottled cow was sorry for her and fed her on cakes and sweet things which she used to defecate. The girl who did not have meals and tended the cows became more beautiful, it became possible to tend a horse herd and do needlework by the light of her beauty. “Why have you been becoming more and more beautiful, who has been feeding you?” – Her step-mother said. She beat the girl almost to death. The girl could not help telling: “I have been feeding on excrement of the mottled cow”, - She said. So the next day she sent her daughter to graze their three cows from that time on. The mottled cow did not feed the old woman’s daughter. As the mottled cow did not excrete cakes, the old woman decided to slaughter the mottled cow. The step-daughter told her mottled cow: “They are going to slaughter you” – and she cried. Then her mottled cow said: “Do not sorrow for me after slaughtering me, after I have been slaughtered, take my large intestine with my excrement in it and throw it onto the hill”, - she said. After the mottled cow had been slaughtered, the girl was allowed to graze the remaining two cows again. Cakes and sweet things grew as thick as pearls and corals in the large intestine thrown onto the hill. The girl ate them and became more beautiful. It became possible to tend a horse herd and do needlework by the light of her beauty. And while she was out tending their two cows, she met the khan’s son who was out hunting. Seeing her, the son of the khan forgot about the beast that he was hunting and gazed at her, admiring. He became almost skew-eyed.
- Who are your parents? I will seek your hand in marriage *, tell me where you live – He said. He was said a place she lived in and went to the old man and the old woman.
- I will propose * your daughter, - He told and left. When the girl came home, the old woman said: “The khan’s son has proposed you”, and seated her own daughter under a white silky curtain * and said: “Why has he proposed this girl who tends cattle, why has he not proposed my daughter who stays home? – She became angry with her step-daughter, she brought her to the Lake Shikirlu *. She pushed her into the Lake Shikirlu and killed her by drowning. When the khan’s family came in a wedding carriage, the old woman gave her daughter to them instead of the girl that he had proposed. The girl given to the khan’s son had a fly-sized botfly larva in her right cheek and a suslik *-sized botfly larva in her left cheek. As the khan’s son did not enable to withdraw, he had no way out and had to bring her home. He got married to her, and while they were living not badly, the Lake Shikirlu dried up. After the lake had dried up, it was unbearable heat there and the subjects of the khan moved to another place. An orphaned white camel calf went out of the Lake Shikirlu and followed them, bellowing. When the khan’s family found a place to stop, * the wife of the khan’s son was seized with a grave illness. Healers held a great conference and conferred about what would cure the wife of the khan’s son, and when she was asked what would cure her, she told:
- I will recover if I drink a broth made of the orphaned white camel calf following us ever since we moved from the shore of the Lake Shikirlu. When herdsmen rode their horses to drive the camel calf in and slaughter him, she told: “Let him in and slaughter him without spilling a drop of blood and make a broth quickly”. Even though they tried to follow exactly the order of the wife of the khan’s son, but a drop of the blood was spilled on the right lower part of the kibitka * and the next day an orphaned poplar grew of the spilled blood. They were frightened by the tree and moved again. No sages were there who could know why the poplar had grown. Then the wife of the khan’s son told: “Sages, I know the thing that you do not know: the poplar has been sent by the heavens to be a cradle for the boy that I bear”. They looked for a man to make a cradle and found an old cow keeper. And while he was felling the poplar without chopping off a chip and making a cradle, a nit-sized chip was chopped off the tree and fell into the old man’s bosom *. The old man made a cradle and came home, and while he was taking off his coat by a fire * in the evening, a beautiful silver-incrusted pipe with a golden chain and a cigarette holder one and a half sazhens * long fell out of his bosom. The old man picked up the pipe and thought that he had taken by accident the pipe of the wife of khan’s son, he prayed and bowed three times *, put it onto a chest and fell asleep. He got up in the morning and looked in the direction of the pipe but found a girl of thirteen sitting in front of the chest. The old man stood up: “Girl, where are you from, whose daughter are you?”- As the old man asked, the girl answered: “I have come to be a daughter for childless people and be a relative to people who have no relatives”. The old man with the old woman seated her on their right lap and kissed her right cheek *, taking her away from one another and adopted her. The cow keeper acquired a daughter, and he was living not badly when the wife of the khan’s son sent messengers to call two hundred girls together to make a black sable fur coat for her husband. Two messengers called girls together and one of them said: “Let’s go to the old cow keeper”, but the second said: “No, the cow keeper has no daughter”, but the first went to him. There was a beautiful little girl at the cow keeper’s and he said: “Missis, let your daughter go to the khan, she will make a black sable fur coat for him”. The old woman considered the girl to be a little one and let her unwillingly. Two hundred girls got together and sat close to one another at the khan’s. The wife of the khan’s son cut out a black sable fur coat and gave the pieces to the girls. It happened that the old cow keeper’s daughter got a sleeve. The girl did not sew on the given sleeve and whiled away the time. When the black sable fur coat was made, it turned out that a sleeve was not sewed on.
- What a mean girl, the sleeve has not been sewed on, you have wasted the time, pass me the sleeve, - the wife of the khan’s son swore at her. The girl flung it to her and the sleeve attached itself to the fur coat. The girls finished making the fur coat and were invited to the feast. At the end of the feast the khan’s son stood up and asked: “Would anybody like to tell a fairytale?” Two hundred girls kept silent and the cow keeper’s daughter told: “I know the story told to me by my father”, - she stood up and began to tell. She told her story from the time she had tended three cows till the time she had been drowned in the Lake Shikirlu and told of the way she had reached the khan’s son. The khan’s son listened to the story, killed his wife by having destroyed her completely, got married to the old man’s daughter that he had proposed first and lived in great happiness.

To seek someone’s hand in marriage, to propose someone * - the custom: if a man wished to marry a woman, his parents must go to parents of the woman, and his father talked to her father over the matter and a woman might be got married by the will of her parents despite her own will.
A suslik * - a name of the animal, which inhabits the steppe, it is a size of a marmot and looks like it.
Shikirlu *- it means literally “made of sugar, sweet” in translation from Kalmyk; it is an invented fairytale name of the lake.
A curtain *- a curtain was hung above a bed in a kibitka * and hid a bed entirely.
A kibitka *- a circle-shaped dwelling of Kalmyks with a conical roof and only one common room, it was constructed of six wooden gratings that were joined one another with leather loops and the gratings were covered with felt from outside.
A place to stop *- Kalmyks had a nomadic way of life.
A bosom * - space between a garment and skin.
A fire *- a fire was made by lightening dried cow pats in a trivet in the centre of a dwelling.
A trivet * – Kalmyk trivet looked as a three-cornered boiler of cast iron.
To bow three times * - Kalmyks were very devout; it was done to show one’s respect for gods.
Jersey *- Kalmyks made their clothes of natural wool and wear knitted clothes of fine-fleeced wool.
A sazhen *- the ancient measure of length: from someone’s finger tips of one stretched arm to finger tips of another stretched arm, the common length of two stretched arms both.
A right cheek, a right side * – there was a custom among Kalmyks and to kiss one’s right cheek meant to bless him and show one's respect for him. Also there was an ancient superstition among Kalmyks, a right side was preferable and sacred among Kalmyks. The right side of a dwelling and the right side of a bed belonged to a man, on the contrary, the left side of a dwelling and the left side of a bed considered to be a woman’s side, and when Kalmyks left home to do some deeds, they used to turn right and go clockwise as the sun went to have good luck and succeed.

BobShilling
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 12:28:35 PM

Neurons: 6,367
nightdream wrote:
Once upon a time there lived an old man and an old woman with two daughters by previous and next marriages of the old man.

That's not a good start. I have told you before, more than once, that the idea of someone who is married having daughters at that time by their next marriage does not make sense.
nightdream
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 5:52:08 PM

May be it is long a little, but the plot is very interesting!

nightdream wrote:
Please, enjoy reading. I will be glad to read your comments. I might miss some things that will srike an eye.

Once upon a time there lived an old man and an old woman with two daughters by previous and next marriages of the old man. They had three cows. A daughter by a previous marriage of the old man tended cows. She was not fed. When she was hungry and suffered, she cried, calling her dead mother. A mottled cow was sorry for her and fed her on cakes and sweet things which she used to defecate. The girl who did not have meals and tended the cows became more beautiful, it became possible to tend a horse herd and do needlework by the light of her beauty. “Why have you been becoming more and more beautiful, who has been feeding you?” – Her step-mother said. She beat the girl almost to death. The girl could not help telling: “I have been feeding on excrement of the mottled cow”, - She said. So the next day she sent her daughter to graze their three cows from that time on. The mottled cow did not feed the old woman’s daughter. As the mottled cow did not excrete cakes, the old woman decided to slaughter the mottled cow. The step-daughter told her mottled cow: “They are going to slaughter you” – and she cried. Then her mottled cow said: “Do not sorrow for me after slaughtering me, after I have been slaughtered, take my large intestine with my excrement in it and throw it onto the hill”, - she said. After the mottled cow had been slaughtered, the girl was allowed to graze the remaining two cows again. Cakes and sweet things grew as thick as pearls and corals in the large intestine thrown onto the hill. The girl ate them and became more beautiful. It became possible to tend a horse herd and do needlework by the light of her beauty. And while she was out tending their two cows, she met the khan’s son who was out hunting. Seeing her, the son of the khan forgot about the beast that he was hunting and gazed at her, admiring. He became almost skew-eyed.

- Who are your parents? I will seek your hand in marriage *, tell me where you live – He said. He was said a place she lived in and went to the old man and the old woman.
- I will propose * your daughter, - He told and left. When the girl came home, the old woman said: “The khan’s son has proposed you”, and seated her own daughter under a white silky curtain * and said: “Why has he proposed this girl who tends cattle, why has he not proposed my daughter who stays home? – She became angry with her step-daughter, she brought her to the Lake Shikirlu *. She pushed her into the Lake Shikirlu and killed her by drowning. When the khan’s family came in a wedding carriage, the old woman gave her daughter to them instead of the girl that he had proposed. The girl given to the khan’s son had a fly-sized botfly larva in her right cheek and a suslik *-sized botfly larva in her left cheek. As the khan’s son did not enable to withdraw, he had no way out and had to bring her home. He got married to her, and while they were living not badly, the Lake Shikirlu dried up. After the lake had dried up, it was unbearable heat there and the subjects of the khan moved to another place. An orphaned white camel calf went out of the Lake Shikirlu and followed them, bellowing. When the khan’s family found a place to stop, * the wife of the khan’s son was seized with a grave illness. Healers held a great conference and conferred about what would cure the wife of the khan’s son, and when she was asked what would cure her, she told:

- I will recover if I drink a broth made of the orphaned white camel calf following us ever since we moved from the shore of the Lake Shikirlu. When herdsmen rode their horses to drive the camel calf in and slaughter him, she told: “Let him in and slaughter him without spilling a drop of blood and make a broth quickly”. Even though they tried to follow exactly the order of the wife of the khan’s son, but a drop of the blood was spilled on the right lower part of the kibitka * and the next day an orphaned poplar grew of the spilled blood. They were frightened by the tree and moved again. No sages were there who could know why the poplar had grown. Then the wife of the khan’s son told: “Sages, I know the thing that you do not know: the poplar has been sent by the heavens to be a cradle for the boy that I bear”. They looked for a man to make a cradle and found an old cow keeper. And while he was felling the poplar without chopping off a chip and making a cradle, a nit-sized chip was chopped off the tree and fell into the old man’s bosom *. The old man made a cradle and came home, and while he was taking off his coat by a fire * in the evening, a beautiful silver-incrusted pipe with a golden chain and a cigarette holder one and a half sazhens * long fell out of his bosom. The old man picked up the pipe and thought that he had taken by accident the pipe of the wife of khan’s son, he prayed and bowed three times *, put it onto a chest and fell asleep. He got up in the morning and looked in the direction of the pipe but found a girl of thirteen sitting in front of the chest. The old man stood up: “Girl, where are you from, whose daughter are you?”- As the old man asked, the girl answered: “I have come to be a daughter for childless people and be a relative to people who have no relatives”. The old man with the old woman seated her on their right lap and kissed her right cheek *, taking her away from one another and adopted her. The cow keeper acquired a daughter, and he was living not badly when the wife of the khan’s son sent messengers to call two hundred girls together to make a black sable fur coat for her husband. Two messengers called girls together and one of them said: “Let’s go to the old cow keeper”, but the second said: “No, the cow keeper has no daughter”, but the first went to him. There was a beautiful little girl at the cow keeper’s and he said: “Missis, let your daughter go to the khan, she will make a black sable fur coat for him”. The old woman considered the girl to be a little one and let her unwillingly. Two hundred girls got together and sat close to one another at the khan’s. The wife of the khan’s son cut out a black sable fur coat and gave the pieces to the girls. It happened that the old cow keeper’s daughter got a sleeve. The girl did not sew on the given sleeve and whiled away the time. When the black sable fur coat was made, it turned out that a sleeve was not sewed on.

- What a mean girl, the sleeve has not been sewed on, you have wasted the time, pass me the sleeve, - the wife of the khan’s son swore at her. The girl flung it to her and the sleeve attached itself to the fur coat. The girls finished making the fur coat and were invited to the feast. At the end of the feast the khan’s son stood up and asked: “Would anybody like to tell a fairytale?” Two hundred girls kept silent and the cow keeper’s daughter told: “I know the story told to me by my father”, - she stood up and began to tell. She told her story from the time she had tended three cows till the time she had been drowned in the Lake Shikirlu and told of the way she had reached the khan’s son. The khan’s son listened to the story, killed his wife by having destroyed her completely, got married to the old man’s daughter that he had proposed first and lived in great happiness.

To seek someone’s hand in marriage, to propose someone * - the custom: if a man wished to marry a woman, his parents must go to parents of the woman, and his father talked to her father over the matter and a woman might be got married by the will of her parents despite her own will.
A suslik * - a name of the animal, which inhabits the steppe, it is a size of a marmot and looks like it.
Shikirlu *- it means literally “made of sugar, sweet” in translation from Kalmyk; it is an invented fairytale name of the lake.
A curtain *- a curtain was hung above a bed in a kibitka * and hid a bed entirely.
A kibitka *- a circle-shaped dwelling of Kalmyks with a conical roof and only one common room, it was constructed of six wooden gratings that were joined one another with leather loops and the gratings were covered with felt from outside.
A place to stop *- Kalmyks had a nomadic way of life.
A bosom * - space between a garment and skin.
A fire *- a fire was made by lightening dried cow pats in a trivet in the centre of a dwelling.
A trivet * – Kalmyk trivet looked as a three-cornered boiler of cast iron.
To bow three times * - Kalmyks were very devout; it was done to show one’s respect for gods.
Jersey *- Kalmyks made their clothes of natural wool and wear knitted clothes of fine-fleeced wool.
A sazhen *- the ancient measure of length: from someone’s finger tips of one stretched arm to finger tips of another stretched arm, the common length of two stretched arms both.
A right cheek, a right side * – there was a custom among Kalmyks and to kiss one’s right cheek meant to bless him and show one's respect for him. Also there was an ancient superstition among Kalmyks, a right side was preferable and sacred among Kalmyks. The right side of a dwelling and the right side of a bed belonged to a man, on the contrary, the left side of a dwelling and the left side of a bed considered to be a woman’s side, and when Kalmyks left home to do some deeds, they used to turn right and go clockwise as the sun went to have good luck and succeed.

BobShilling
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 1:41:19 AM

Why have you re-posted the whole story?
Why did you repeat the incorrect wording I pointed out to you in the first sentence?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:42:03 AM

Neurons: 204,246
Hmmmmm Think Think

There is a lot to say.
The first is as Bob Shilling says - the whole marriage/child/step-child/orphan "plan" for the story does not work out.

These are the characters I see in the story:
The daughter of the old man and an earlier wife. She's not an orphan. An orphan is a child whose parents are dead, but her father is still alive. (You can't have an orphan poplar.)

The old man - father to both daughters.

The old woman (I guess she's married to the old man, but you don't say so)

The daughter of the old man and someone he will marry at some future time (I guess when his current wife dies).

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
nightdream
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:10:18 AM

Two daughters of the old man and the old woman - his current wife by his "next" marriage, the mother of the younger girl and the step-mother of the elder girl.

Is "a subsequent marriage" is a legal term? Is it acceptable to say "there lived a man with 2 daughters by/from previous and "current" marriages" and what is the difference between "by a marriage" and "from a marriage"?

Yes, we don't say "an orphaned tree" in Kalmyk either, but the phrase was in the original text in Kalmyk.

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hmmmmm Think Think

There is a lot to say.
The first is as Bob Shilling says - the whole marriage/child/step-child/orphan "plan" for the story does not work out.

These are the characters I see in the story:
The daughter of the old man and an earlier wife. She's not an orphan. An orphan is a child whose parents are dead, but her father is still alive. (You can't have an orphan poplar.)

The old man - father to both daughters.

The old woman (I guess she's married to the old man, but you don't say so)

The daughter of the old man and someone he will marry at some future time (I guess when his current wife dies).
BobShilling
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:34:39 AM

nightdream wrote:

Two daughters of the old man and the old woman - his current wife by his "next" marriage, the mother of the younger girl.

That makes no sense at all.

The possibilities for a couple having two daughters (including stepdaughters are):

1. 2 daughters of their own;
2. One daughter from this marriage and one from the previous marriage of either the husband or the wife;
3. No daughters from this marriage and two from the previous marriage of either the husband or the wife;
4. No daughters from this marriage and one from each of the previous marriages of the husband and the wife.
nightdream
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:42:53 PM

Also I have doubts on using "you have wasted the time" - is it acceptable to use the article "the" in this phrase?

And can I use "bosom" as space between a garment and skin? Or is it an archaic definition?
Parpar1836
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 12:22:05 PM

Neurons: 15,676
Why not simply say "first and second marriages"? The elder daughter is from his first marriage, the younger from his second. In the Western tradition, it's usually the younger (or youngest) who are oppressed.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 3:38:30 PM

Neurons: 204,246
Right - so he's married to the old woman and they have a daughter - and he has a daughter from an earlier marriage.

Once upon a time there lived an old man and his wife with two daughters - one from his previous marriage and one of their own.
I think that's about the simplest way to say it.

"By marriage" might work. Some people may use that - but it doesn't sound "normal" to me.
After typing that last sentence, I checked - it shows how infrequently I use such phrases!
"Daughter from a previous marriage" is more common NOW, but that is only true since 1990.
Prior to 1975, "from" was hardly ever used. The normal phrase used "by".

In that sentence, "you have wasted the time" sounds OK - it is the time allocated to sewing.
Very often, the phrase is "you've wasted your/my time", but "the" is good here.

"Bosom" does not work here, as I explained here. You could use "chest", but to make the later sentence easier, I'd say it like this.
2) And while he was felling the poplar to make a cradle, trying not to chop off even a chip, a nit-sized chip split from the tree and fell on the old man's chest.
. . . while he was taking off his coat by the fire in the evening, a beautiful silver-encrusted pipe with a golden chain and a cigarette holder one and a half sazhens long fell out of his shirt.

There are a few 'odd' idioms which make the story difficult to read in English (for an English person).
- Who are your parents? I will seek your hand in marriage, tell me where you live – He said. He was said a place she lived in and went to the old man and the old woman.
- I will propose your daughter, - He told and left.

"Seek your hand in marriage" is exactly the same in English, so that's good.
The punctuation is strange to me; I'm used to inverted commas, but I have seen dashes used sometimes.

There is a difference between "said" and "told".
The object of "say/said" is the speech (and it can come before the verb or after if it's direct speech). The object of "tell/told" is the person being spoken to and the speech or a noun like "story, tale, lie, truth" - and it always comes after the verb (except in the passive).

I've coloured the direct objects in red.
My brother said "I am going to work."
My brother said that he was going to work.
"I am going to work", my brother said.
My brother told me that he was going to work.
My brother told me the story.
I was told the story by my brother.
The story was told me by my brother.

The second sentence has one passive clause and one active - it sounds strange.
You propose to someone. You propose marriage.

"Who are your parents? I will seek your hand in marriage, tell me where you live", he said. She told him where she lived and he went to the old man and the old woman.
"I will propose to your daughter", he said and left.

There's more, but that's enough for just now.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
nightdream
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 11:30:13 AM

Thank you.

Parpar1836 wrote:
Why not simply say "first and second marriages"? The elder daughter is from his first marriage, the younger from his second. In the Western tradition, it's usually the younger (or youngest) who are oppressed.
nightdream
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 11:42:52 AM

Thank you very much, DragOnspeaker.

I think "fall into bosom/fall out of bosom" may suit because the tale concernes the ancient times. It is strange, but I read the novel by Moegham named "The theatre" and it was just "proposed her" without "to".

1) Then, is the phrase "that he had proposed first" is correct or it should be "to that he had proposed first"?

"The khan’s son listened to the story, killed his wife by having destroyed her completely, got married to the old man’s daughter "that he had proposed first" and lived in great happiness".

2) And I have a question:

Can "a place to live in" concern one's house, address?

"He was said a place she lived in"

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Right - so he's married to the old woman and they have a daughter - and he has a daughter from an earlier marriage.

Once upon a time there lived an old man and his wife with two daughters - one from his previous marriage and one of their own.
I think that's about the simplest way to say it.

"By marriage" might work. Some people may use that - but it doesn't sound "normal" to me.
After typing that last sentence, I checked - it shows how infrequently I use such phrases!
"Daughter from a previous marriage" is more common NOW, but that is only true since 1990.
Prior to 1975, "from" was hardly ever used. The normal phrase used "by".

In that sentence, "you have wasted the time" sounds OK - it is the time allocated to sewing.
Very often, the phrase is "you've wasted your/my time", but "the" is good here.

"Bosom" does not work here, as I explained here. You could use "chest", but to make the later sentence easier, I'd say it like this.
2) And while he was felling the poplar to make a cradle, trying not to chop off even a chip, a nit-sized chip split from the tree and fell on the old man's chest.
. . . while he was taking off his coat by the fire in the evening, a beautiful silver-encrusted pipe with a golden chain and a cigarette holder one and a half sazhens long fell out of his shirt.

There are a few 'odd' idioms which make the story difficult to read in English (for an English person).
- Who are your parents? I will seek your hand in marriage, tell me where you live – He said. He was said a place she lived in and went to the old man and the old woman.
- I will propose your daughter, - He told and left.

"Seek your hand in marriage" is exactly the same in English, so that's good.
The punctuation is strange to me; I'm used to inverted commas, but I have seen dashes used sometimes.

There is a difference between "said" and "told".
The object of "say/said" is the speech (and it can come before the verb or after if it's direct speech). The object of "tell/told" is the person being spoken to and the speech or a noun like "story, tale, lie, truth" - and it always comes after the verb (except in the passive).

I've coloured the direct objects in red.
My brother said "I am going to work."
My brother said that he was going to work.
"I am going to work", my brother said.
My brother told me that he was going to work.
My brother told me the story.
I was told the story by my brother.
The story was told me by my brother.

The second sentence has one passive clause and one active - it sounds strange.
You propose to someone. You propose marriage.

"Who are your parents? I will seek your hand in marriage, tell me where you live", he said. She told him where she lived and he went to the old man and the old woman.
"I will propose to your daughter", he said and left.

There's more, but that's enough for just now.
Parpar1836
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 11:45:48 AM

Neurons: 15,676
"The khan’s son listened to the story, killed his wife by having destroyed her completely" doesn't make sense to me.
nightdream
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 12:10:07 PM

Why? Is there something wrong:

The khan’s son listened to the story, killed his wife by having destroyed her completely, got married to the old man’s daughter that he had proposed first and lived in great happiness.

Parpar1836 wrote:
"The khan’s son listened to the story, killed his wife by having destroyed her completely" doesn't make sense to me.

BobShilling
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 1:36:20 PM

nightdream wrote:

Why? Is there something wrong:

The khan’s son listened to the story, killed his wife by having destroyed her completely

Yes. The word I have underlined don't make sense. I have no idea what you are trying to say.Please try to express your meaning in different words.

nightdream
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 6:46:57 AM

Can one say "a place to live in" about a house or address?
palapaguy
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 12:33:44 PM

Neurons: 13,030
nightdream wrote:

First, please reply to the question you were asked:

"Yes. The word I have underlined don't make sense. I have no idea what you are trying to say.Please try to express your meaning in different words."

taurine
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 6:36:54 PM

Neurons: 105,695
nightdream wrote:

As stated by my predecessor yes, one can say. Although, I am not sure whether I would like to live in a house like this.

Sas? Nic. Sassnitz. Rug, ja? Rugen. Telemark in Harzgerode.