The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The camel and the mouse Options
nightdream
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2019 7:32:28 PM

Neurons: 2,729
I have found something odd: can people belong to a language family or can they just speak a certain language family?

And which word does fit more: "certain" or "definite" with "called after a certain/definite animal" and "every year" or "each year"?

Please, enjoy reading. I will be glad to read your comments.

Peoples who belong to the Mongolic language family have their calendar since long ago. "Every year" of the twelve calendar years is called after "a certain animal".

Once upon a time the mouse and the camel competed with each other to call the first of the twelve years after themselves.

They agreed that the one who saw the sunrise first would call the first year after himself. So, the next day the camel woke up very early and stood, looking in the direction of the sunrise. As to the mouse, he climbed onto the camel’s hump and sat, staring at the East.

The time of sunrise was near. Then rays of the sun lightened the pick of the mountain on the right of them. The mouse that was on the camel’s hump saw the light.

- I have seen the sunrise before you, I was higher than you! The first year will be called after me! – The mouse cried. Having deceived the camel in such a way, the mouse called the first of the twelve years after himself.

The camel became angry with the mouse and chased him. The mouse hid in the heap of ashes. Since that time a camel stirs up a heap of ashes, looking for a mouse.

None of the twelve years was called after the camel, but his exterior has twelve features: mouse’s ears, a cow’s belly, a tiger’s leg, a hare’s nose, a dragon’s exterior, snake’s eyes, a horse’s mane, a sheep’s fleece, a monkey’s hump, a cock’s crest, a dog’s thigh, a pig’s tail.