The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A fair result can be obtained only by fully stating and balancing the facts and arguments on both sides of each question. Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,877
A fair result can be obtained only by fully stating and balancing the facts and arguments on both sides of each question.

Charles Darwin (1809-1882)
KSPavan
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 1:01:02 AM

Neurons: 3,638,628
Quotation of the Day

A fair result can be obtained only by fully stating and balancing the facts and arguments on both sides of each question.

Bully_rus
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 4:38:25 AM

Neurons: 258,893
Daemon wrote:

Yeah. It’s even more difficult when you have more than two sides at the table - or when neither of sides want to play fair, which is regrettably so common here and now...
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 7:23:17 AM

Neurons: 5,664,744

Context from: The Origin of Species

Introduction

My work is now nearly finished; but as it will take me two or three more years to complete it, and as my health is far from strong, I have been urged to publish this Abstract. I have more especially been induced to do this, as Mr Wallace, who is now studying the natural history of the Malay archipelago, has arrived at almost exactly the same general conclusions that I have on the origin of species. Last year he sent to me a memoir on this subject, with a request that I would forward it to Sir Charles Lyell, who sent it to the Linnean Society, and it is published in the third volume of the journal of that Society. Sir C. Lyell and Dr Hooker, who both knew of my work -- the latter having read my sketch of 1844 -- honoured me by thinking it advisable to publish, with Mr Wallace's excellent memoir, some brief extracts from my manuscripts.

This Abstract, which I now publish, must necessarily be imperfect. I cannot here give references and authorities for my several statements; and I must trust to the reader reposing some confidence in my accuracy. No doubt errors will have crept in, though I hope I have always been cautious in trusting to good authorities alone. I can here give only the general conclusions at which I have arrived, with a few facts in illustration, but which, I hope, in most cases will suffice. No one can feel more sensible than I do of the necessity of hereafter publishing in detail all the facts, with references, on which my conclusions have been grounded; and I hope in a future work to do this. For I am well aware that scarcely a single point is discussed in this volume on which facts cannot be adduced, often apparently leading to conclusions directly opposite to those at which I have arrived. A fair result can be obtained only by fully stating and balancing the facts and arguments on both sides of each question; and this cannot possibly be here done.

I much regret that want of space prevents my having the satisfaction of acknowledging the generous assistance which I have received from very many naturalists, some of them personally unknown to me. I cannot, however, let this opportunity pass without expressing my deep obligations to Dr Hooker, who for the last fifteen years has aided me in every possible way by his large stores of knowledge and his excellent judgement.

Read more: http://darwin-online.org.uk/Variorum/1866/1866-2-c-1869.html

Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 7:41:33 AM

Neurons: 537,034
Absolutely. Unfortunately, we do not usually consider the other side of the coin.