The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Happy Birthday America! "Home of the FREE Because of the BRAVE" Options
hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 9:09:34 PM

Neurons: 656,604
My American friends,

As I sit here perusing the TFD, I can hear the crackle of firecrackers, fireworks, and the like, all in my very patriotic neighborhood...it thrills me to hear the sound... its 'noise' (bursting in air) is music to my ears. The red, white & blue splendor displayed in the sky is mesmerizing...

Our fearless pet dogs (a Pitt bull & a Dogo Argentino) will be posted by the window. When nightfall comes—with my American flag waving in the breeze—we'll be able to see the display of fireworks light up the sky, enjoy our hotdogs, ribs, corn-on-the-cob...
and most importantly, we thank God for our President, families, friends, freedom, and blessings...

Happy Birthday America! "Home of the FREE Because of the BRAVE"

so we sing
...God Bless the U.S.A.

If tomorrow all the things were gone, I'd worked for all my life
And I had to start again, With just my children and my wife
I'd thank my lucky stars, To be living here today
Cause the flag still stands for freedom, And they can't take that away

And I'm proud to be an American, Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died, Who gave that right to me
And I gladly stand up, Next to you and defend her still today
Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land, God bless the USA

From the lakes of Minnesota, To the hills of Tennessee
Across the plains of Texas, From sea to shining sea
From Detroit down to Houston,, And New York to L.A
Well there's pride in every American heart, And its time we stand and say

That I'm proud to be an American..

Written & performed by Lee Greenwood. (Full lyrics on Google Play Music)

hedy mmm

towan52
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 10:33:22 AM

Neurons: 219,242
Yep, there's no doubt that history was rewritten this year.
hedy mmm
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 12:56:17 PM

towan52 wrote:
Yep, there's no doubt that history was rewritten this year.

Yes! ...

Be blessed my friend towan52

hedy mmm
FounDit
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 1:56:46 PM

Neurons: 60,793
hedy,

I watched it all last night. The weather didn't stop the many thousands from showing up and cheering the President. It was great to see, and the fireworks were amazing.

I especially enjoyed the anecdotes about the different branches of our Armed Forces. I have always been impressed at the fortitude of John Paul Jones in his battle and laughed out loud at the words of our soldiers when it was said, "They have us surrounded again — poor bastards".
hedy mmm
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 10:21:51 PM

FounDit wrote:
hedy,
I watched it all last night. The weather didn't stop the many thousands from showing up and cheering the President. It was great to see, and the fireworks were amazing.

I especially enjoyed the anecdotes about the different branches of our Armed Forces. I have always been impressed at the fortitude of John Paul Jones in his battle and laughed out loud at the words of our soldiers when it was said, "They have us surrounded again — poor bastards".

FounDit,
Although there were displays all over the city, on most bridges, on TV and the whole country, I watched a display right outside my front steps...it was AWESOME. My neighbors, which are hardworking folk, had enough firepower to last 3 hrs...obviously we are a flag waving patriotic bunch with now a real American president...a reason to celebrate!

We also had great weather...I videotaped some of it, I captured the sky lighting up, the sound of thunderous blasts, the haze of smoke of the firecrackers...too bad I couldn't capture the gunpowder smell in the video (ha ha). All was finished by 11pm...in keeping with the law & getting the kiddies to bed!

Surprisingly, the betîse of the TFD (the snowflakes know who they are) were quiet of my thread posting again this year...I almost missed the stupidity of one who (still can't spell President Trump's name correctly) said that I had nerve to order God to Bless the U.S.A... he didn't even know it was a song! Yikes! The operative word here is 'almost'...nah! Although some still spew crap, they have finally realized that our President Trump is who he is...and that's why he won!

BTW I like that quote by John Paul Jones!
I have one for you;
In 2016 a billboard with a photo of Trump read, "I'm not for sale, and that scares the sh_t out of Washington" ...he should've have included 'the world'

So I will say it again "God Bless the U.S.A."

hedy mmm

FounDit
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 10:24:42 PM

hedy,

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause
BobShilling
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2019 9:28:22 AM

Neurons: 7,621
hedy mmm wrote:
they have finally realized that our President Trump is who he is...and that's why he won!

.. with three million fewer votes than his opponent. Some victory!
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2019 11:00:52 AM

BobShilling wrote:
hedy mmm wrote:
they have finally realized that our President Trump is who he is...and that's why he won!

.. with three million fewer votes than his opponent. Some victory!

Yes, a great victory. Done the way it was designed to be done - by winning states, not popular vote.
Dynamina
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2019 11:44:31 AM

Neurons: 2,840
It's called 'gerrymandering'...

The voice of the majority is ignored.
hedy mmm
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2019 12:30:18 PM

BobShilling wrote:
hedy mmm wrote:

BobShilling: .. with three million fewer votes than his opponent. Some victory!

FounDit wrote:
Yes, a great victory. Done the way it was designed to be done - by winning states, not popular vote.

Geez FounDit, you are so kind to the clueless bunch who don't know the facts...I, on the other hand, am not so kind!
It took me a while to stop laughing at the post from BobShilling...and another who doesn't know the meaning of majority (not manipulation which IS 'gerrymandering')... and yet another hopeless betise thread about oligarchy-crap...

BobShilling, I don't mean to sound harsh, afterall, I'm a lover not a fighter...so if I sound like a bitch to you, you have to ask yourself why.
FACTS:
CH (Crooked Hillary) won by 2.87% of the popular vote
CH was spared from going to jail, where she should be now for her 'deeds'.
CH is still mortified that she lost..."Hell hath no fury...like a woman who got beaten out of the presidency legally no less!
Trump won with 304 EC and CH with 227...
Trump even won 6 states who flipped from the 2012 elections.
Trump, a businessman not a politician, the oldest president when he took office and the wealthiest WON!

Trump's campaign slogan was: "Make America Great Again", and by golly, he has!

hedy mmm

BTW FounDit, guess there are only a few snowflakes in July .....ha ha ha

Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2019 4:19:59 PM

Neurons: 51,153
Hedy, Any fatuous and jejune person can use the word snowflake in a derogatory and condescending manner. It takes a scholar such as Romany who introduced you to the word bêtise and told you then it is a noun, not an adjective. Also a scholar wold know that the definition of oligarchy actually already applies to the US ruled in three areas except the House by the smaller Republican Party of 30 M vs 42 M Democrats before one even considers the fact that the US is actually owned and run by the money of the 1%.

Oops I forgot. Scholars are the "elite" and are now to be derided in the US.
hedy mmm
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2019 7:03:16 PM

Hedy, Any fatuous and jejune person can use the word snowflake in a derogatory and condescending manner.
Golly gee...Did that word offend you? I guess it touched a nerve!
You're right...but on the other hand, it perfectly describes the 'Bêtise of the TFD' which, if I remember correctly, you thought I was calling you stupid.
Of course, that is not the definition...the word 'Bêtise' describes someone who makes foolish remarks (stupidly)...so, unless the shoe fits...yada, yada, yada

It takes a scholar such as Romany who introduced you to the word bêtise and told you then it is a noun, not an adjective.
Actually, it's an adverb...and you can't be serious! Is that what she told you? What a joke! By her own admission on TFD forum she said that she did not use text books to teach (You can't make this stuff up)...so definetly she isn't quite the "scholar" you think she is.

And BTW you have it backwards...It was ME who coined the phrase 'The Bêtise of TFD'...it happened to be the TFD Word of the Day, just before the elections, awesome timing, when criticizing Trump was popular...

Also a scholar wold know that the definition of oligarchy actually already applies to the US ruled in three areas except the House by the smaller Republican Party of 30 M vs 42 M Democrats before one even considers the fact that the US is actually owned and run by the money of the 1%.
I'm not sure if you actually know the meanings of the words you spew...I have to admit, I laugh out loud when I see your posts...the democrats have demonstrated that they don't know crap and the American people are sick and tired of their politics ...

Oops I forgot. Scholars are the "elite" and are now to be derided in the US.
Now that we know the truth about who aren't the Scholars...you can rest
If you thought you'd get a rise out of me by calling me a 'fatuous and jejune' person, it didn't work, I'm neither, I actually know those words...EEK, that makes me of the "elite"? (Do I get to-ride a horse?...oops, you said 'de-ride'...Aw shucks!) In the USA, I have the freedom of speech, I can use the word 'snowflake' anytime I want, after all, it was my Heavenly Father who created the 'treasures of the snow' as recorded in the book of Job...

What is still awesome is that Donald Trump is the President...so deal with it!
So, If you think you can bother me with your volumes of nonsense...it won't work...

"Don't mistake my kindness for weakness, I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what they are going to remember about me" — Al Capone

hedy
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2019 8:44:51 PM

Re: The Electoral College

In their infinite wisdom, the United States’ Founders created the Electoral College to ensure the STATES were fairly represented. Why should one or two densely populated areas speak for the whole of the nation?

The following list of statistics has been making the rounds on the Internet. It should finally put an end to the argument as to why the Electoral College makes sense.

Do share this. It needs to be widely known and understood.

There are 3,141 counties in the United States.
Trump won 3,084 of them.
Clinton won 57.

There are 62 counties in New York State.
Trump won 46 of them.
Clinton won 16
Clinton won the popular vote by approx. 1.5 million votes.

In the 5 counties that encompass NYC, (Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Richmond & Queens) Clinton received well over 2 million more votes than Trump. (Clinton only won 4 of these counties; Trump won Richmond)

Therefore these 5 counties alone, more than accounted for Clinton winning the popular vote of the entire country.

These 5 counties comprise 319 square miles.

The United States is comprised of 3,797,000 square miles.

When you have a country that encompasses almost 4 million square miles of territory, it would be ludicrous to even suggest that the vote of those who inhabit a mere 319 square miles should dictate the outcome of a national election.

Large, densely populated Democrat cities (NYC, Chicago, LA, etc.) DO NOT and SHOULD NOT speak for the rest of our country!

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2019 9:05:58 PM

Hedy, any unnecessary unprovoked name calling of anybody by anybody offends me. I have called people out for that as long as I've been on this forum. People generally ARE civil and police themselves on this Forum - which is unusual if you check out any other online platforms. So it would be nice to keep it that way.

Bob Shilling, Dynamina, and I were just minding our own business and out of the blue we get attacked over nothing. Just for having different opinions. Here I thought Christians were supposed to have tolerance for others.

I didn't call you fatuous and jejune. I merely said anybody with those characteristics can be derogatory. But if that is what you thought, I won't try to change your mind. Whistle

I purposely stayed out and let you enjoy your 4th of July even after you interjected ad hominem with no thought of serious discussion on another thread.

But then you had to go and do it here too.

'Nuff said about that.

Did you know that July 4th is celebrated by the Brits as "We dodged a bullet day"? Whistle Whistle Whistle Joke!

Glad you and FD enjoyed your celebrations. First time I haven't watched "Capitol Fourth" in years.

hedy mmm
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2019 12:03:41 AM

Wow, Talk about twisting truth...

You actually accused me of saying things you had already said to me first?...but I should be tolerant?
The other posters were "minding their own business"? Really? Were the comments truthful?
So to respond to a false statement or a misconception is considered an attack?
You can insult the President, our country, our policies, make false accusations and you should get away with it?

Is this an April Fool's joke?
...because it's not funny...

You're right about one thing...'Nuff said!

hedy

hedy mmm
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2019 12:24:31 AM

Thank you FounDit for your explanation of the Electoral College...
I copied it for my records...Applause

Be blessed, hedy
Romany
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2019 10:11:21 AM

Neurons: 50,964
Well heck, yikes!!!!!! and EEK!!!!!Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle

Back in the day TFD peeps objected to those invading forums with religious & political views - so first was added the Politics forum and then the Religion forum so people who were more interested in their own beliefs than in the English language had a place to express themselves in. This was to guarantee that those who actually wanted to talk about English and Language had at least two places where they knew they could talk to their hearts content about the English Language.

This particular forum is labelled "Vocabulary". Forum users have a right to expect that it will deal with thoughts, ideas, explanations, meanings of a particular words or words. Once in a while a learner might post in the wrong forum - but native speakers usually manage to understand which is the appropriate forum to post in. Most native speakers also have a feeling that, for learners, as well as all the other native speakers in the world who don't share their individual beliefs, politics, life-styles, educational standards - all the thing that make one an individual - Grammar & Vocabulary forums are places where they can leave all those differences behind when they are discussing the subject of language.

Across the world developed nations regard freedom of speech as one of their great freedoms. Most of us have, indeed, had this freedom for millenia and have worked out how to exercise it. Of course,the rest of the world has also had millenia to understand that subverting this basic right to give citizens the freedom to denigrate, hurt, disrespect, and verbally assault those who don't share their politics, religion, social mores, nationality; would lead to disruption, animosity, tension and even war.

Thus, as every right we have comes with responsibilites, citizens utilise the one trope at their disposal to combat all of these negatives - good manners. There are, we have discovered, certain American citizens who interpret their right to free speech as the right to forego the injunctions of Church and Society to strive for peace, understanding and the smooth running of society. We learn from childhood onwards to bite our lips when it would be easier to verbally attack; to keep quiet when it would feel so good to let rip; to know when to walk away - both actually and metaphorically - when everything inside them finds it tempting to hit back & cause damage. This is called acting in a mature way and is a trope one continues to engage in throughout life in order come to peaceful outcomes, respectful interactions, and to keep the peace.

This is a language site. This Forum is the Vocabulary forum. This post belongs either in Religion or Politics - or broken up between the two. There is only one mention of vocabulary in here - it concerns a word which has been discussed & presented before but whose meaning the person who introduced it still doesn't quite get. Thus it was used...and probably always will be ...to cover their confusion by saying silly, nasty things about those who do understand it. This is not mature behaviour, as well as being unmannerly - besides providing a shocking example to people intent on mastering the English language.

Had this thread been posted where it should have been, those who don't want to argue or fight or insult others could have left it to fester quietly away there - instead of demonstrating to Learners & people from other cultures just how badly the English language can be utilised and abused to hurt and insult anyone who isn't exactly the same as they are.

Word for this thread = shamefull.
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2019 10:28:25 AM

It is also often quite true that the topic of an original post (OP) will get side-tracked into something quite different, usually after a question, or comment, has been addressed.

The only thing about this post that can truthfully be said to be a mistake is that it was posted in the wrong section. It happens sometimes, and that is the only point that needed to be made. And we should all practice what we preach about tolerance.

towan52
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2019 10:51:30 AM

Neurons: 219,242
Silenced Silenced Silenced If Only the helicopter carrying the president to the Gettysburg Address in 1863 had crashed - we probably wouldn't be having these issues now. Whistle
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 3:07:18 AM

Neurons: 208,218
@Towan - But the Americans had taken all the airports and the British didn't have RPGs till 1872.

However, I did see some fun on the fourth.
A few American friends (and their friends) here in Scotland had a BBQ and fireworks and things - probably more modest than ones in the USA, but still quite a party!

All good fun.
Lotje1000
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 4:07:06 AM

Neurons: 598,058
hedy mmm wrote:
Surprisingly, the betîse of the TFD (the snowflakes know who they are) were quiet of my thread posting again this year...I almost missed the stupidity of one who (still can't spell President Trump's name correctly) said that I had nerve to order God to Bless the U.S.A... he didn't even know it was a song! Yikes! The operative word here is 'almost'...nah! Although some still spew crap, they have finally realized that our President Trump is who he is...and that's why he won!

Strange how you feel the need to call out people BECAUSE they didn't interfere with your posts. What do you want exactly? What a great example of an American you set when you celebrate your holiday by insulting people who just leave you to your celebrations.
March Hare
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 5:02:41 AM

Neurons: 1,972,197
Since this is a vocabulary thread, perhaps this is a good time to take a look at the word "deplorable". It's so nicely illustrated here.

deplorable: adj.
1. Worthy of severe condemnation or reproach: "a deplorable case of ad hominem arguing".
2. Lamentable; woeful: "A forum in a deplorable state of neglect".
3. Wretched; bad: "Deplorable debating conditions in the vocabulary subforum".

And I'm sure you can think of even more examples if you have a quick read through the thread Angel
ozok
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 8:34:14 AM

Neurons: 2,210
hedy mmm wrote:

...so definetly she isn't quite the "scholar" you think she is.

And hedy is definetly[sic] not quite the "speller" she thinks she is.

FounDit
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 11:11:50 AM

I see some of our friends on the political Left took my message to heart. Tolerance and self-restraint: beautiful things to see exhibited.
Lotje1000
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 2:13:28 AM

FounDit wrote:
I see some of our friends on the political Left took my message to heart. Tolerance and self-restraint: beautiful things to see exhibited.

Oh, you mean like the tolerance hedy displays here?

hedy mmm wrote:

It's obvious you feel strongly about it.

FounDit wrote:
hedy,

BobShilling
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 4:27:59 AM

FounDit wrote:

Large, densely populated Democrat cities (NYC, Chicago, LA, etc.) DO NOT and SHOULD NOT speak for the rest of our country!

It is not cities that speak for the country. It is individual people who vote. You appear to be saying that the vote of a person who lives in a densely populated area should count for less than one who lives in a more sparsely occupied area. An interesting view of democracy.
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 10:38:58 AM

FounDit wrote:

Assuming above quote is sarcasm (because what else would it be when "the Political Left" are complimented?):

Like all virtues, tolerance or respect for contrary opinions or beliefs is taught by example, not by an uncalled-for repeated rebuke of a specific group when they said nothing intolerant - just truth and a bit in opposition to your views. (Nor by gleeful name calling of specific posters which is what spoiled a nice Happy Birthday message and thread.)
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 10:40:09 AM

BobShilling wrote:
FounDit wrote:

It is not cities that speak for the country. It is individual people who vote. You appear to be saying that the vote of a person who lives in a densely populated area should count for less than one who lives in a more sparsely occupied area. An interesting view of democracy.

Bob, seems to me that is exactly what the electoral college is saying.

The people only indirectly elect the president, as the national popular vote is not the basis for electing the president or vice president, although it is different when electing state governors, I believe. The president and vice president of the United States are elected by the Electoral College. There have been alterations to the system and many attempts since to change it or eliminate it, but of course the states with the advantage won't agree to changes.

Two Historical reasons for EC creation:

https://www.historycentral.com/elections/Electoralcollgewhy.html

"Hamilton and the other founders believed that the electors would be able to ensure that only a qualified person becomes President." Little did they know.

"The Electoral College is also part of compromises made at the convention to satisfy the small states. Under the system of the Electoral College, each state had the same number of electoral votes as they have a representative in Congress. Thus no state could have less than 3. The result of this system is that in this election the state of Wyoming cast about 210,000 votes, and thus each elector represented 70,000 votes, while in California approximately 9,700,000 votes were cast for 54 votes, thus representing 179,000 votes per electorate. This creates an unfair advantage to voters in the small states whose votes count more than those people living in medium and large states."

The examples given for the comparison match both territory size and number of votes. So which is it? I am not familiar enough with the system to know. A larger state could have fewer people/voters.

Anyhow, it seems to me that California with its larger cities loses out in this example with one rep for 2 and a half times the number of votes yet FD thinks larger populated cities would have advantage without the Electoral College.

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:11:59 PM

Neurons: 208,218
I'm working this out as I go along, so I've no idea what the outcome will be.

WITH the electoral college, California was 54 votes and Wyoming 3. So CA had 18 times the number of votes.

WITHOUT the electoral college, California has 9,700,000 voters and Wyoming 210,000 - So California would have 46 times the number of votes.

It really depends on your viewpoint.

Without the electoral college, it's "One man (or woman) - One vote" - but since most people live in cities, there's no chance a country bumpkin is going to be elected.

With the electoral college, there is less 'bias' towards cities.

That's one way of looking at it . . .

Another way is this:
Most poor people live in highly-populated city areas.
Most rich people have moved out of the cities and live in more sparsely populated areas.

The electoral college gives each rich person in Wyoming three votes for every vote a poor guy in LA has.
There is a strong bias towards the rich "landed gentry".

There's also the idea of "educated voters".
Most of the 'punters' only hear what's on the news and the false facts from both sides ("PR and BS" is a phrase I know well).
So a candidate with amazing PR and a great marketing firm behind him could win the majority of votes even though he personally couldn't talk his way out of a paper bag and would lose a chess match against a pigeon.
The electoral college, as people a bit more directly connected could recognise this and vote for the more intelligent (but less "PR & BS") candidate.

As with any "system" there are pros and cons - and there are ways in which the system can be misused.

Two years ago, I think the College were given a raw deal.
I didn't think either Donald Trump or Hilary Clinton really had the moral standing to be a good president.
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:56:59 PM

Lotje1000 wrote:
FounDit wrote:

hedy mmm wrote:

FounDit wrote:
hedy,

Oh, you thought that was what I was applauding?
Well, yeah, I guess you would.
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 2:04:31 PM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:

I didn't think either Donald Trump or Hilary Clinton really had the moral standing to be a good president.

You make some good points, DragOnspeaker. I would only make the point that there is no perfect system. The founders simply tried to give everyone a chance at representation though the college.

Also, there is no perfect human beings either, so I'm not too sure we should make moral standing the criteria for our leaders. We might have to admit we can't elect anyone in that case. Besides that, I think it is the goals for the country and its people that should take priority in selecting a leader rather than sitting in judgment of people for past mistakes.

Edit: after posting this, I recalled an appropriate quote:

Great and good are seldom the same man.
Winston Churchill

hedy mmm
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 2:19:14 PM

Five days later it bears repeating...nothing shameful about it!

Happy Birthday America!
"Home of the FREE Because of the BRAVE"

Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing
BobShilling
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 4:10:34 PM

hedy mmm wrote:

"Home of the FREE Because of the BRAVE"[/b][/center]

Who were/are the brave?

Those who would force a woman pregnant as a result of rape/incest to bear and care for the sins/crimes of others?

Those who connive to deprive American citizens of their right to vote?

Those who managed to avoid military service and then mock a man who fought for his country and was captured and tortured by the enemies of his country?

Those who ...?

Enough already.
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 11:24:23 PM

This post is not a commentary one way or the other on what I think. I was just curious and wondered how Americans felt about their freedom and so I searched re freedom and America and these two links are as far as I got.

"Is America Still the Land of the Free?"

This is quite the article. Obviously written by a Republican and answers a lot of questions for me as to what it is many of them actually think and want.

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2019/07/is_america_still_the_land_of_the_free.html

Some quotes from the article I found interesting:

"Nearly half the nation works tirelessly to destroy our republic and the principles it was founded upon, and the rest of us can barely believe that some who want to lead the nation, Democrat communists and Republican globalists (RINOs), hold a vision that would reduce us all to serfs...attempts to destroy the basis of America and our Judeo-Christian principles...America is already well on its way to being a socialist country, if not an authoritarian fascist state, noted by Italian dictator Benito Mussolini to be "corporatism" and the "merger of corporate and state power."
...All of the socialists' policies in education and health care would still do nothing to reform the patent idiocies of the gender studies departments and the current misinterpretation and application of Title IX that infringes on heterosexual rights, not to mention the misery that would follow the Equality Act if it passes...Too large a segment of America no longer cares for individualism, free markets, personal freedom, and free minds.  In fact, they now mock the very virtues America was founded upon.  They may have some ill formed, nebulous notion of ethics that they borrowed from the Boy Scouts, but they basically assert that socialism and communism are as good as capitalism, while their reigning philosophy is a mixture of Marxism, identity politics, anti-male feminism, and anti-white racism.
...God help America if the Democrats take the majority in the Congress and the Oval Office anytime in the near future and implement a more stringent and authoritarian form of the morally corrupt, economy-destroying, and de-civilizing ideology of socialism and the sick social system it embodies.  Their system must be exposed for all the obnoxious, abhorrent, and hellacious ideas it represents.  A certain chapter in American history is closing, and the future of America and freedom is at risk.  Those of us who love freedom and liberty and America must grab hold of the moment to seize the 21st century for our children's children and their children and generations beyond to ensure their economic prosperity."

:::

The following article was written in 2012 by a Republican who said they thought America was not free then. It is a criticism of Obama.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/is-the-united-states-still-the-land-of-the-free/2012/01/04/gIQAvcD1wP_story.html?utm_term=.6e07b77e0c2d
Lotje1000
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 2:13:39 AM

FounDit wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:
FounDit wrote:

hedy mmm wrote:

FounDit wrote:
hedy,

Oh, you thought that was what I was applauding?
Well, yeah, I guess you would.

You talk of tolerance but display none.
You don't call out hedy for the behaviour she displayed here (but are happy to call out anyone who disagrees with you for any perceived slight).
You regularly use ad hominems on this forum.

So... yes, I guess I would.