The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

madness Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2019 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 87,066
Today's topic: madness

ire, rage, fury - Ire suggests greater intensity than anger, rage suggests loss of self-control, and fury is destructive rage verging on madness. More...

mania - Based on a Greek word meaning "madness," ultimately from an Indo-European root for "mind." More...

rage - Traces back to Latin rabia, an alteration of rabies, meaning "fury, madness." More...

woodness - Madness or insanity, from Old English wood, "out of one's mind." More...

More...
coag
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2019 1:57:01 PM

Neurons: 6,770
Frenzy is a similar word that occurred to me. I learned it from Hitchcock's movie Frenzy.

frenzy (n.)

mid-14c., "delirium, insanity," from Old French frenesie "frenzy, madness" (13c.), from Medieval Latin phrenesia, from phrenesis, back-formation from Latin phreneticus "delirious" (see frenetic). Meaning "excited state of mind" is from c. 1400.

frenetic (adj.)

late 14c., frenetik, "temporarily deranged, delirious, crazed," from Old French frenetike "mad, crazy" (13c.), from Latin phreneticus "delirious," alteration of Greek phrenitikos, from phrenitis (nosos) "frenzy, mental disease, insanity," literally "inflammation of the brain," from phrēn "mind, reason," also "diaphragm" (see phreno-) + -itis "inflammation." The classical ph- sometimes was restored from mid-16c. (see phrenetic). Related: Frenetical; frenetically. Compare frantic.
thar
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2019 2:23:57 PM

Neurons: 84,479
Yes, frenzy and frenetic have more of a meaning of energy, the part of madness being out of control.
And a good film, Frenzy. Creepy, but good. Underappreciated maybe because it is not like his others, but racks up the tension in a more conventional manner. Or maybe it's not that good and it is just me.

Mad now means 'angry, pissed off' in American, which can occasionally be confusing - do they mean insane or angry? d'oh!

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is not a new idea. Whistle

King Lear, Act-III, Scene-IV

Lear:
No, I will weep no more. In such a night
To shut me out? Pour on; I will endure.
In such a night as this? O Regan, Goneril!
Your old kind father, whose frank heart gave all—
O, that way madness lies; let me shun that;
No more of that.

Normally Norse words are good indicators of what the English words were before the addition of French ones, but in this case I don't see any cognates in Icelandic, apart from vitfirring - alienation from your wits