The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Amanda Lear - "New York" lyrics Options
Sanmayce
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2019 7:46:31 PM

Neurons: 24,440
Need help in transcribing this awesome song.

Really want to have the correct lyrics, a shame it is to google it and not seeing it.

I'm swayed by the Amanda Lear's superbness... Currently listening to her complete discography.
For many years my favorite song of hers was 'aphrodisiac' - surely a vintage one. Now, just after several songs I have been hit by this heavy hitter.

Amanda Lear - "New York"

Here I am in New York nineteen ninety
incognito I walk into the SIN/scene
?
love is problematic in the streets
full of sins
deadly sin, deadly sin
walking around the docks
like a bad dream
?
Behind me last years's hope yesterday's dream
now ?
I got to keep at my distance my difference decidence deadly sin deadly sin

Aw, what a word 'decidence', never seen before.

"Walking incognito behind my dark glasses in a future world not so far away I see the deadly sins. Fighting to survive (it is the law of the jungle) we meet with envy, violence, greed, fear, indifference and even bureaucracy and nostalgia, this favorite sin of mine which helps to accept the future ..." - Amanda Lear, 1981.

Ahh, just get it, "keep my difference" as a counter to 'indifference'.

Wow, looking into Amanda Lear ‎– Incognito Francis Lai is who wrote the song, Amanda wrote the lyrics, double love.

He learns not to learn and reverts to what all men pass by.
Sanmayce
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2019 8:43:22 PM

Just checked my main lyrics corpus 'Machine-Learning_www.kaggle.com_every-song-you-have-heard-almost_(over_500000_song_lyrics).csv', 624,684,289 bytes big.

Searched for 'problematic', no trace of this song. Whoever did this 500,000 songs strong corpus, failed to house a superhit.

leonAzul
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 12:58:11 AM

Neurons: 28,995
Amanda Lear - Incognito (1981)
"Walking incognito behind my dark glasses in a future world not so far away I see the deadly sins. Fighting to survive (it is the law of the jungle) we meet with envy, violence, greed, fear, indifference and even bureaucracy and nostalgia, this favorite sin of mine which helps to accept the future …" - Amanda Lear, 1981.

Track 04 -- Fear: "New York"

Here I am in New York nineteen-ninety
incognito I walk into the scene
The key word is "panic"; love is problematic
in the streets full of scenes
deadly sin, deadly sin

walking around the docks like a bad dream
and risk getting what you don't need
on se tua, vie t'amélia[sic]
deadly sin, deadly sin

Behind me last years's hope, yesterday's dream
now all used up and gone, into a scream
I've got to keep up my distance,
my difference, decedents,
deadly sin, deadly sin

incognito I walk into the scene
walking around the docks like a bad dream
Hell is who you really are
monstrement d'étonnés, alors de gênant
the deadly sins, all the deadly sins

Sorry to take so long to respond to this.

I tried to seek out other transcriptions and found none. I also sought different versions as an audio aid because different compression schemas result in different emphases: some encodings favor the vowel sounds and others the consonants. Additionally, because most of these so-called "live" recordings were made in television studios (complete with cheesy 1980s era video effects), I could use lip reading to confirm my choices.

Several resources note only two versions — one for South America, and the main one for the rest of the world, yet I uncovered evidence for a third in French, composited with French subtitles and the English-language audio (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAiFFdVNc-0). The video was obviously synchronized to the French subtitles, not the English lyrics. Weird.

The first quote is from Ms Lear's own notes to the LP phonodisc Incognito released in 1981. It is a concept album structured around her conception of the modern deadly sins. The theme of this track is "fear"; it takes place in the streets of New York City. The running joke back in the day was, "New York, the city that never sleeps — and looks like it!"

The words are more evocative than expository. I suspect intentional word-play with the sounds of "scene" and "sin". My transcription is based on the observation of articulations in the videos, with the word "scene" corresponding consistently with a more open vocalization. I admit I would like to have more evidence to be more certain of this.

The word "amélia" caused me much head-scratching until I recognized it as a "creative" conjugation of «améliore». A rough translation to English would then look like: "everyone killed each other; life improved you" !!!!!

While "decidence" is an eminently cromulent word, context and lip reading suggest that "decedents" is the intended word. It would also fit well with a pattern I note about the text in each line before the refrain "[the] deadly sin[s]": they all involve inverted or fractured logic — in stanza 1, what kinds of scenes could there be with no drama of love? — in stanza 2, how could life improve you if we've all killed each other? — how can one keep up the dead? — how can one feel embarrassed after being stunned?

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
leonAzul
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 1:18:23 AM

Sanmayce wrote:
Just checked my main lyrics corpus 'Machine-Learning_www.kaggle.com_every-song-you-have-heard-almost_(over_500000_song_lyrics).csv', 624,684,289 bytes big.

Searched for 'problematic', no trace of this song. Whoever did this 500,000 songs strong corpus, failed to house a superhit.

Color me surprised. Despite its influence, it never achieved a quantifiable status as a "hit" by any of the agencies responsible for monitoring such things as distribution and sales. Indeed, "Fear: New York" has never been released as a single, the several promotional videos having been the result of TV productions, notably none for MTV or general distribution. It still has had only limited distribution in a digital format. This last point is significant because anything that has not been transcribed to a digital format does not exist for most modern corpora.

Sanmayce
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 9:20:39 AM

Many many thanks leonAzul.
Your post gladdened me bigtime, really wanted to have the lyrics, now with your kind help the fans of Amanda can read it on TFD.

Once more, I owe you, much obliged.

Oh, just want to tell you how I felt when saw no interest in that topic for three-four days.
Felt exactly that hard-to-describe SAD LONGING that hits rarely, the emotional memory works/hits unexpectedly strong, this saddening flashback reemerged:
A decade ago I saw a hardcover book of Lao Zi in one of Sofia's bookshops, printed in only 5000 copies in Russia, didn't have the money to buy it for several weeks, vividly remember how walking several blocks down the boulevard a mixed gush of sadness and self-pity hit me fearing that it will be bought up, I realized that something precious to me is slipping away, pretty similar to moments when my pets were dying. One book big deal, but for some reason it felt like losing not only one variant of my superhobby but part of me.

Reflecting this recalled a Thievery Corporation album, funny this is the word:

"Saudade is a deep emotional state of nostalgic or profound melancholic longing for an absent something or someone that one loves. Moreover, it often carries a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might never return."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudade

>... around her conception of the modern deadly sins. The theme of this track is "fear"

Agh, that is what exactly and most concisely describes my feeling back then and when thought "this lyrics I won't have".

thar
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:05:24 PM

Neurons: 79,469
Well done for that research!

I must admit I tried to work it out but I just couldn't make out the words, so I didn't have anything useful to add.
leonAzul
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 7:40:51 PM

thar wrote:
Well done for that research!

I must admit I tried to work it out but I just couldn't make out the words, so I didn't have anything useful to add.

Thanks!

Believe it or not, it was fun. Much of my life as a professional musician has been spent making transcriptions for copyright and publication purposes, so this was an interesting challenge.

leonAzul
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 8:24:27 PM

Sanmayce wrote:
Many many thanks leonAzul.
Your post gladdened me bigtime, really wanted to have the lyrics, now with your kind help the fans of Amanda can read it on TFD.

Once more, I owe you, much obliged.

You are very welcome, and thank you for a question that piqued my curiosity.

Sanmayce wrote:

Oh, just want to tell you how I felt when saw no interest in that topic for three-four days.
Felt exactly that hard-to-describe SAD LONGING that hits rarely, the emotional memory works/hits unexpectedly strong, this saddening flashback reemerged:
A decade ago I saw a hardcover book of Lao Zi in one of Sofia's bookshops, printed in only 5000 copies in Russia, didn't have the money to buy it for several weeks, vividly remember how walking several blocks down the boulevard a mixed gush of sadness and self-pity hit me fearing that it will be bought up, I realized that something precious to me is slipping away, pretty similar to moments when my pets were dying. One book big deal, but for some reason it felt like losing not only one variant of my superhobby but part of me.

Reflecting this recalled a Thievery Corporation album, funny this is the word:

"Saudade is a deep emotional state of nostalgic or profound melancholic longing for an absent something or someone that one loves. Moreover, it often carries a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might never return."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudade

While I share your enthusiasm for Lao Zi, I'm not so sure I would be crestfallen at losing a Russian version, no matter how splendidly bound, but perhaps I don't appreciate the language the way that you do. A well-researched German edition, on the other hand…
Whistle
Oddly enough, at first I didn't recognize the non-English words as French, but instead thought they were Portuguese! This lead to the rather absurd "onça tua vida Meia" ?!?
Anxious
As long as we've passed the dénouement and have arrived completely in the epilogue of this thread, I'd like to share several videos about saudade.

The first, and obvious, is a special arrangement of Tom Jobim's classic "Chega de Saudade": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LfaYKdqfnY

Yet one of my favorites on this theme was an international hit for Cesaria Evorra, "Sodade", sung in a Cape Verdian Crioulo, yet the sentiment is unmistakeable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNVrdYGiULM

Sanmayce
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2019 6:12:06 AM

To me, the most exciting verse is, it thrilled me several times:
"Hell is who you really are"
Knowing Amanda herself wrote the lyrics, I wondered where it comes from, her own wordsmithing or ... maybe:

"The Robot Who Looked Like Me: Stories" By Robert Sheckley

I want to make a semi-quick remark on Russian synologists, having read 8 books translated, not "interpreted", my opinion is that they made good, despite the many butchered verses left, same as many English texts.
The book that made me fearing losing it was by Prof. Malyavin, sadly he lost his center and suffers nasty anxiety, anyway, he cited one hard-to-translate verse as:

https://youtu.be/1G9iyRbKH1w?t=1090
"Душа народа вот его душа"
"Soul of the people is his soul"
No body gave such a concise and point on 2-in-1 verse, it puzzles me why he did choose more literal one in his book.

Agreed, German is known for being the fatherland of precision :P Not by the way, the best etymological dictionary of Russian language was written by a German, hee-hee, this in Russian is called "ирония судьбы" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Vasmer

I did a quick look up for German translations, found 24 here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20110720024645/http://home.pages.at/onkellotus/TTK/_IndexTTK.html

Pseudo-chapter 49:
Der Berufene hat kein eigenes Herz.
Er macht das Herz der Leute zu seinem Herzen.
/Chinese - German by Richard Wilhelm, 1911/

And after Google translate:

The called [ONE] does not have their own heart.
He makes the heart of the people to his heart.

And two Russians:

Pseudo-chapter 49:
В сердце-сознании человека мудрости - постоянство отсутствия.
Способен осуществлять сердцем-сознанием сердца-сознания ста родов.

/Russian by B. B. Vinogrodskij/

In the heart-consciousness of a man of wisdom - the constancy of absence.
Able to carry out the heart-consciousness of the heart-consciousness of one hundred genera.

Pseudo-chapter 49:
Премудрый человек не ведает незыблемости сердца.
Сердцем для него являются сердца простых людей.

/Russian by I. I. Semenenko/

A wise man does not know the stability of the heart.
The heart for him are the hearts of ordinary people.

It is my (exhaustive) style that dictates me to make a comparison of 24 German vs 8 Russian, but I restrained myself.

Pseudo-chapter 49:
Die Erleuchteten sind selbstlos; sie fühlen mit allen und sind zu Guten und Bösen gleich gütig.
/Chinese - German by Helmut W. Brinks, 1999/

The enlightened ones are selfless; they feel with ALL and are kind to good and evil alike.

To me, Herr Helmut hits the heart of this "problematic" verse by including not only "people/folks" but all living things - THE VERY CORE of EMPHATIC APPROACH to ALL SENTIENT BEINGS.
leonAzul, the literal versus figurative translatory verses are far behind me, meaning, there is a hidden even unexpressed notion "lost in translation/original", therefore I am giving as an example similar "problematic instance" where inclusion if broader - not only folks but all living, in Rammstein including also "things".

https://german.stackexchange.com/questions/10522/how-to-know-which-form-of-all-alle-allen-aller-allem-alles-to-use

Since being a kid "Deutschland über alles" was imprinted in me as a German anthem or rather masterslogan.

leonAzul, I salute you with Rammstein - Deutschland (Official Video)

For a month or so I listen to this hit and instantly noticed 'allen' vs 'alles', not knowing any grammar ... I enliked this very verse a lot.

"Deutschland, Deutschland über allen
Deutschland, mein Herz in Flammen"

Sadly, my German is totally lacking, a German toddler knows more than me, yet I see the words:

"Deutschland, Deutschland above all
Deutschland, my heart in flames"

Love another Rammstein song, salute you with it as well:
Rammstein - Mein Land (Official Video)

The solist has superanimated personality, indeed, easily I can picture him commanding a Königstiger a.k.a. Supertiger a.k.a. Kingtiger.

In a way, a sister song, isn't it?

You say 'epilogue', I fear not, I asked Amanda herself whether this lyrics were correct, she answered "No. Its wrong."
Wonder why she chose to leave the matter unsolved, I have the nasty feeling she has problems as Prof. Malyavin.

>... I'd like to share several videos about saudade.

As for your two sharings, watched them but I felt no 'saudade', such songs e[n]voke it:

Thievery Corporation - Is it Over? ft. Shana Halligan [Official Music Video]

And this one chokes me everytime I see the Robotess' hand skimming over the petals at 11:01 of Robot & Scarecrow https://youtu.be/PcvHNbDPaK0?t=616

Strange, wide-spread 'saudade' appears to be different to mine.

leonAzul
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2019 9:08:31 AM

Sanmayce wrote:

You say 'epilogue', I fear not, I asked Amanda herself whether this lyrics were correct, she answered "No. Its wrong."
Wonder why she chose to leave the matter unsolved, I have the nasty feeling she has problems as Prof. Malyavin.

So it's true, anyone who remembers the 1970s wasn't really there.
Whistle

I wonder if she isn't cousin to Dread Pirate Roberts ?

That would explain a lot.
Whistle

(I edited this to remove a question that was answered when I read your reply more carefully Anxious )

leonAzul
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2019 10:50:29 AM

Saudade is not ambiguous, the only question might be why or how to find that happiness again. It is an existential void in one's universe where joy used to be.
Sanmayce wrote:

And this one chokes me everytime I see the Robotess' hand skimming over the petals at 11:01 of Robot & Scarecrow https://youtu.be/PcvHNbDPaK0?t=616

In my heart, it is the look on Scarecrow's face at 11:11 that triggers saudade.
Sanmayce wrote:

Strange, wide-spread 'saudade' appears to be different to mine.

Você pensa?

leonAzul
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2019 11:01:55 AM

Sanmayce wrote:
To me, the most exciting verse is, it thrilled me several times:
"Hell is who you really are"
Knowing Amanda herself wrote the lyrics, I wondered where it comes from, her own wordsmithing or ... maybe:

"The Robot Who Looked Like Me: Stories" By Robert Sheckley

I heard it as a reference to the epigram attributed to Jean-Paul Sartre, "Hell is other people."

leonAzul
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2019 2:13:19 PM

Sanmayce wrote:

Agreed, German is known for being the fatherland of precision :P Not by the way, the best etymological dictionary of Russian language was written by a German, hee-hee, this in Russian is called "ирония судьбы" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Vasmer

I did a quick look up for German translations, found 24 here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20110720024645/http://home.pages.at/onkellotus/TTK/_IndexTTK.html

Thanks for the list. You have motivated me to make a more serious inquiry in this direction.

I would like to clarify, however, that it is not the precision of German but rather its flexibility that makes it ideal for expressing poetry and other structured text.

I find the Daodejing more about the flow of ideas and metaphors than a catalogue of aphorisms. For me, the best translations reveal the underlying structure of the thought even if the precise word is difficult to pin down, something not even contemporary speakers of Chinese can agree on.

I suspect we think very much alike on this; just wanted to make it clear.